Forum Replies Created

Page 124 of 391
  • Michael Sacci

    June 28, 2010 at 5:50 pm in reply to: 5D and FCP

    [Kris Merkel] “One item that has not been mentioned, and my be the tiebreaker on which method you choose the use is that L&T adds timecode to the clips. “
    That is the time breaker for me. Plus L&T gives you full logging (if anyone even does that anymore) You can break up clips into separate master clips, you can trim ins and outs. You can add comments, reel names and so on. This is huge if you are organizing you media.

    That is why this needs to be looked at as a workflow and not just what is faster. So the what way should I import clips will vary from project to project. For a documentary with hundreds or thousands of clips, Take more time up front is probably the best way to go. I card full of clips that needs to be edited and delivered in a day, probably Streamclip or grinder might make more sense.

  • Michael Sacci

    June 28, 2010 at 5:43 pm in reply to: I did a bad, bad, thing

    It is not a question of will it work, it is a question should I work this way. You can edit with media on the internal HD but things can go wrong really quickly. From drop frames when capturing or playing a sequence to app quitting a lot. If you are using codecs like HDV or DV it is more likely to be okay. But a real problem arises from filling up the internal HD, the fuller it gets the slower it accesses data, full pass 95% and you increase the chances of having a drive failure. So it is always recommended, strongly recommended that media goes on a 2nd drive.

    Can you capture and move, yes you can. Performance is better to go to the 2nd drive but if it is working it is working. You can simply copy them over to a new drive afterwards and relink the footage. You can do Media manager also but for full media copying I just do it in the finder.

  • Michael Sacci

    June 28, 2010 at 4:49 pm in reply to: I did a bad, bad, thing

    If you open up FCP go to menu under Final Cut Pro> System Settings > hit Set and it will open the window and you can write down the path to your clips. The default is User/Documents/Final Cut Pro Documents.

    Never a good idea to be capturing to your internal drive. First thing you should get is an external media drive.

  • Michael Sacci

    June 28, 2010 at 4:30 pm in reply to: 5D and FCP

    And if you read my post I never said you were wrong, just that I would not recommend it, and then told him why I think that.

  • Michael Sacci

    June 28, 2010 at 4:25 pm in reply to: 5D and FCP

    Well since the OP seemed interested is learning I will continue with my train of thought.

    Edward, make sure you are keeping the 100CANON folder inside the DCIM folder when you copy them, L&T needs the that structure. (I need go back and look at you do not need to copy the MISC folder but it will not hurt to do it anyway)

    Back to Bill, you are right the “best” way to do it will change and we should never stitch to “our” way if something is better and safer out there. But to do it any old way because the best way to do it today will not be the best way down the road doesn’t make much sense.

    Today’s experts will normally learn tomorrow’s way, while today’s fool has a head start on tomorrow.

  • Michael Sacci

    June 27, 2010 at 7:43 pm in reply to: Shot 60fps but metadata still says 23.98fps

    there are plugins (that cost) that can do a pretty good job from what I have read. I think RE:Timer or something like that.

  • Michael Sacci

    June 27, 2010 at 7:41 pm in reply to: Shot 60fps but metadata still says 23.98fps

    Nothing shots 1080p at 60fps, Unless you go to about a 100 grand camera (or a real cheap flip type camera)

  • Michael Sacci

    June 27, 2010 at 5:49 am in reply to: Shot 60fps but metadata still says 23.98fps

    I’m assuming you shoot 720p and not 1080p.

    At 24p is it playing back in slow mo?

  • Michael Sacci

    June 26, 2010 at 10:12 pm in reply to: workflow in fcp

    That is not completely true, if you are using a highly compressed codec like HDV, anywhere you add a transition, text, filter, effect will take a quality hit that will be noticeable after a couple of generations.

    (This is referring to Brian’s post, which is mostly true.

  • Michael Sacci

    June 26, 2010 at 8:07 pm in reply to: file length shortened after export

    Sorry, I’m confused on with what you are trying to do, you export a movie to bring it back into FCP to export a movie?

    Why not give specific settings of each step.

    The normal method of conversion it to export as self contained with current settings, then take that into Compressor and export to the needed codec.

Page 124 of 391

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy