Michael Hancock
Forum Replies Created
-
[Steve Kownacki] “you politely and respectfully thank your server, their response should not be “no problem” nor even “your welcome” but “may I get you anything else”? They should have the response of the vendor.”
Basically, you’re paying them to do a job so they should be thanking you, right? In that case, you shouldn’t be thanking them at all! After all, you’re paying them and that’s their thanks. By adding thanks on top of the payment you’re inviting a response, and saying they’ve gone beyond the minimum requirements to earn that paycheck.
So if they’ve done more than the minimum and you thank them, they absolutely should say “Your welcome” if they want. After all, they’ve already receive the typical thanks in the form of a paycheck. If you don’t want people to say “you’re welcome”, just don’t thank them.
I always thank my clients (especially the good ones) for bringing me work and being a pleasure to work with (usually). If they thank me in return for doing a standup job I reply “You’re welcome. It was fun. Let’s do it again, soon.” I’ve never had anyone complain that I accepted their thanks. It’s common courtesy to do so.
As far as “No problem”… It doesn’t imply it might have been a problem. Saying thanks can be interpreted as “Thank you for going out of your way to satisfy me as a customer”. Saying ‘No problem’ can just as easily be interpreted as ‘No problem, it was my pleasure to do my job for your money.’
Don’t read too much into this.
Michael
——————————-
I’ll be working late. -
Check that the component outs of your Beta are correctly run into your Nitris box (did someone run Y to R, for example?). It they’re run right, swap out the cable to see if it’s bad.
Otherwise, not really sure.
Michael
——————————-
I’ll be working late. -
Forgot to mention, the Rotate function of the Moving Picture plugin is extra. The plug is $199, with another $69 for the rotation. If you’re going to be using it a lot it’s definitely worth the price, though. I used it constantly when I was cutting news stories and promos.
Michael
——————————-
I’ll be working late. -
Unfortunately no, you can’t rotate with Pan and Zoom. If you have Media Composer non-Academic you should have gotten AvidFX with it (which is basically Boris Red rebranded). You can do your moves in there and rotate in 3D space, zoom, pan, etc…
Otherwise, there’s a plugin from StageTools called Moving Picture that’s awesome and it allows you to pan, zoom, and rotate. You can find it here:
Michael
——————————-
I’ll be working late. -
Import vs. Pan and Zoom:
If you have a logo or other graphic that’s made in the right dimensions for TV, import it. Perfect for logos, lower thirds, full screen graphics that don’t require you to zoom in on them.
If you have a graphic (say a photo) that is larger than your project, you use Pan and Zoom. It’s so you can do Ken Burns type moves on photos and all. If you have a high res picture of a house (say 2000 x 2000 pixels) and you want to slowly zoom in on the house without it pixelating and falling apart, you use Pan and Zoom to do that. It will retain the 2000×2000 pixel size so you can zoom in on it. If you import it, it will shrink the photo down to your projects frame size (say standard def – 720×486 NTSC). If you tried to zoom in on the imported pic you’d see artifacting and general nastiness because the file has been shrunk to your projects size. Therefore, the extra pixels on the 2000×2000 image have been lost.
Hope that makes sense.
Michael
——————————-
I’ll be working late. -
[Satish More] “Is it possible to decompose somehow to form smaller masterclips that are just the length of the subclips+handles?”
Nope. When you batch import it imports the whole clip. Subclipping doesn’t help either, unfortunately.
Michael
——————————-
I’ll be working late. -
I can’t watch your link because I’m in the US. Can you take a screenshot of the show and post it here so non-UK folks can see what you mean?
Otherwise, check out Sapphire’s Film Effect or Soft Focus Effect (they’re pricey), or Boris Film Effect (comes with non-academic copies of Media Composer) and play with the settings. You can get these effects to soften the image, blow out the highlights, and give everything a soft, diffused look.
Michael
——————————-
I’ll be working late. -
Should work fine, especially for offline cuts. We do a lot of first step commercials that finalize in HD and I use our analogue Mojo for viewing. Haven’t had any complaints yet.
Michael
——————————-
I’ll be working late. -
I think you have to buy the Calibrated codec. The grey triangles are watermarks.
Doesn’t your DP have the original P2 media backed up? Tell him to give you that. Avid reads P2 files directly, so when your DP brought them into FCP and reexported them he wasted his time, now your time, and slowed the entire process down. So either get the original P2 media, or have your DP pony up the cash to pay for his mistake and buy the calibrated DVCProHD decoder.
Good luck.
Michael
——————————-
I’ll be working late. -
Michael Hancock
July 22, 2009 at 11:43 am in reply to: Running Avid Media Composer 3 and Final Cut Pro 6 on same Mac?Why run Avid under Windows? Just create a dual boot system–one with OSX fully updated for FCP, the other running OSX and quicktime qualified for Avid. That way you definitely can use the same storage because both programs are installed under OSX. If you install Avid on a Windows boot you’ll have to buy a program to allow windows to read and write to/from your Mac formatted storage.
Michael
——————————-
I’ll be working late.