Forum Replies Created

Page 541 of 668
  • Michael Gissing

    April 20, 2010 at 5:52 am in reply to: Weird Green Ghosting Effect Help!

    mpeg4 is not an editing codec in FCP. (I am beginning to wish it was so we can all stop this daily mantra.)

    Converting mts files to ProRes has been covered here many times. Try a search. There are better software packages fro free than using Toast.

    Welcome to the forum and for the future, questions about things looking weird in a timeline are best answered when details about the original codec, frame size and frame rate are clear plus your sequence settings, computer spec & settings and how you are monitoring.

  • The ability to render four times faster on my new MacPro after retiring my G5 -priceless. If you are running a commercial facility you should realize that having a blindly fast machine that can take all the latest graphics cards will make you FCS system operate far more efficiently and won’t suddenly peak out with something as simple as a software update.

    Maybe it matters more to you to be a rebel. I get paid and need something that will work quickly and reliably.

  • Michael Gissing

    April 20, 2010 at 2:46 am in reply to: synch issue on injest

    A quick look at the prefs panel on the Decklink in my Fairlight sheds no detail. It’s on a windows machine so may be different to the mac drivers.

    I suspect the offsets you are seeing in the device control panel in FCP are both vid & audio in relation to timecode.

    It may be the timing in the deck is off. Are there any menu settings in the AJ-HD 1440 deck to adjust the timing? You are capturing both video and audio via SDI I presume.

  • Michael Gissing

    April 20, 2010 at 1:01 am in reply to: Multiple format project, which format to use

    As a common base, 23.976 is probably your best bet. The 25 fps can be slowed down to 23.976 with a 4.1% pitch drop which should be acceptable on speech. If not it is correctable.

    My understanding is that 29.97 can be converted to 23.976 easier than going the other way, but as I live in the PAL world, I have no direct experience of that, just the info I have picked up from the COW over the past few years.

    Compressor can be used to batch file convert before editing. Choose a common codec as well as frame rate to keep life simple.

  • Michael Gissing

    April 20, 2010 at 12:23 am in reply to: Vegas to FCP with an EDL or AAF

    FCP can’t import AAf or OMF without third party software like Automatic Duck. I have used it for importing AAF’s from AVID and ProTools but no experience with Vegas. AAF is supposed to be a standard format so in theory it should work. In practice, who knows what will accurately translate. Obviously various filters and third party plugins may not translate but basic settings should.

  • Michael Gissing

    April 19, 2010 at 11:58 pm in reply to: synch issue on injest

    Steve, I used to have a Decklink with FCP and I still have two in my Fairlights. I think the default setups worked but I know there is usually a preference setup that lets you correct. I recently went to Kona 3 and they have a default setup in preferences which worked right out of the box but if it was incorrect, I can adjust.

    Gone are the days of having some technician from master control come and setup parameters. For better or worse, it is now our responsibility to be the creative and technical departments. Most of the COW posts are over technical rather than creative issues so I guess that tells you where our collective skills are lacking

  • Michael Gissing

    April 19, 2010 at 11:15 pm in reply to: synch issue on injest

    If you are stepping through, then it isn’t a playback setting. Is the audio ahead or behind? Either way you should be able to adjust that in the Decklink preference panel.

    Nice to have a shot with such obvious sync.

  • Michael Gissing

    April 19, 2010 at 10:55 pm in reply to: Pro Res to MPEG 2 workflow.

    If you aren’t going to charge them for render time then yes it would be cheaper. However, if you charge anything for rendering, then it shouldn’t be cheaper. This will take a long time to render if you want quality.

  • Michael Gissing

    April 19, 2010 at 10:52 pm in reply to: ATTN: Dave LaRonde

    Actually Dave, there is a huge positive to the great DSLR scare. It has prompted manufacturers to consider adding a decent still facility to video cameras and upping the res way beyond mere HD broadcast. I am waiting patiently for the RED Scarlet to become available. While they fiddle with the final form of the camera, they are touting high quality stills as a function of their camera.

    Perhaps stills cameramen will eye the price and ergonomics of a camera like the scarlet and choose it over a DSLR. If I was a sports photographer, having a high res camera that shoots 150 fps continuously would be better than any DSLR burst capture.

    And btw, folk music, like movie capable DSLRs never die. They might go back into their box a little.

  • Michael Gissing

    April 19, 2010 at 10:37 pm in reply to: ATTN: Dave LaRonde

    No it isn’t the ratio. As Walter’s previous post said, they didn’t call the chip size 1 and 1/3 but called it 4/3. It has nothing to do with the aspect, just the size of the sensor (in inches I presume). Perhaps it is time to label sensor size in mm.

Page 541 of 668

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy