Kevin Monahan
Forum Replies Created
-
You’re right Charlie. I forgot that it plugs into FCP. Saw that at NAB. You’ve got both a roto and a paint module.
https://www.silhouettefx.com/fcpprods.htm
Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com -
This is about as good as it gets.
https://www.chv-plugins.com/bezierpro.html
Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com -
Shell,
I think at the root of this problem was probably because you could not monitor your rendered footage through a proper device.Improper monitoring will often confuse a videographics artist that is unaware that viewing the FCP Canvas at anything other than 100% zoom level will not show you the quality of your rendered graphic. If the Canvas is not or cannot be set to 100% (with no blue scroll bars), only a HD broadcast monitor fed by a video capture card like Kona or BlackMagic will show you the quality of your HDV footage.
Next time you want to check your render quality and if you don’t work with a monitor, you may want to either resize your Canvas or output a few frames to QuickTime and check those.
Another quick point: Your QuickTime movie you say, “Looks Improved”. I would suggest that it could look even better if you switch on the “High Quality” toggle, which not many people know about.
I’ve written two articles for you to read.
Regarding viewing your renders:
https://web.mac.com/sfcutters/iWeb/fcpworld/news/CC8E5EF3-32B5-4C05-93E6-81F50A8B52C7.htmlRegarding viewing QuickTime movies at High Quality:
https://web.mac.com/sfcutters/iWeb/fcpworld/news/D4363B62-EFF5-4F30-B719-9A5E93AE4C92.htmlMany, many people have complaints about the quality of their renders in FCP. Typically, it’s all due to to confusion brought about by not using a video monitor in your FCP system – and very seldom is it because of codec shortcomings.
Good video monitors and capture cards are expensive, for sure. Unfortunately, their necessary evils in post.
David is also correct, though. HDV and DV codecs are not too forgiving for creating good quality graphics. DVCPro 50 on up begins to look very good, though.
Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com -
Yeah. Linked Selection will bite you if you aren’t aware of it.
Myself? I never use it. If I want to trim audio or video in a split edit, I just option+drag the cut.
Works great.I answered your post below.
I am recommending that you monitor externally.Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com -
[Lanzi] “Thanks Kevin. But I don’t understand why I NEVER had problems during logging of my tapes in Log and Capture until now. Always watched the footage on the Lacie monitor and listened to the audio from external speakers plugged into the Mac and nothing was out-of-sync.
Why now?”
You said that sometimes your audio is out of synch while capturing – and sometimes not.
In which situations are you out of synch while capturing?a) It has no rhyme or reason
b) When you listen to audio from the camcorder’s headphones and viewing footage in the Log and Capture window?
c) When you listen to audio from the speakers connected to the Mac and viewing footage in the Log and Capture window?Regardless of how you’ve been working in the past, you are not setup correctly now regarding monitoring.
Improper setup causes 90% of all problems and confusion on this board. So the first thing I would do is
setup your system properly for external monitoring. It’s OK if you don’t want to follow my advice. However, I’m just telling you how FCP works best regarding monitoring.Follow the manual’s instructions and set up your rig as Apple recommends that you do:
1. Connect your video monitor (or a TV) set and the speakers to your PD-170.
2. A/V Settings: Set Audio monitoring to DV-NTSC.Done! Whether you are logging, capturing, editing or laying back – you’ll ALWAYS be in synch on the TV and
through the attached speakers.Longer clips captured to slow FireWire drives may also exhibit problems with synch, but if you are
experiencing trouble while only logging – it’s certainly a system setup-operator error thing.If you still don’t want to take my advice and do not want to monitor externally, all presets EXCEPT audio monitoring should be set to DV-NTSC. Audio is to be set to the built in. In the View menu, also make sure that “Audio Follows Video”.
You should be able to work without a video monitor this way – just know that it’s not a recommended way
to work. You’ll have to constantly check your presets, for sure.Good Luck.
Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com -
I use CGM’s Double Border. Workaround is to put a color matte behind the color matte on a lower video track.
Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com -
CMD + drag the nested sequence from the Browser back into the timeline. It’s the best way.
Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com -
Try Shift-L. “Linked Selection” – a bit different than Modify>Link. It’s a toggle.
Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com -
Here you go – the diagram. Note that your LaCie is a computer monitor – you want to use a SD monitor in addition to the computer monitor. FCP is more than an app, it’s a system, which include your speakers and video monitor attached to the deck NOT the mac.
https://web.mac.com/sfcutters/iWeb/fcpworld/news/9C0A3658-D3DB-4A11-8D68-AA217CAF54A7.html
Almost every “self-trained” editor does not use external monitoring, I have found. A pity.
Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com -
How large is the frame size and DPI of the graphics? They really should be optimized for FCP. If they are too large, you’ll have poor performance.
Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com