Kevin Monahan
Forum Replies Created
-
Kevin Monahan
June 15, 2006 at 7:19 pm in reply to: Importing 24hrs of DV footage, how would you guys do it?[ben] “i hardly consider myself a kid. “
The winky meant I was kidding my man….[ben] “podcasts, internet television, and the ipod, is that speed with quality will matter.”
Speed? Or Quality? Pick one ’cause you can’t have both! 😉
Keep on keepin’ on.Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com
Pres. SF Cutters -
Kevin Monahan
June 15, 2006 at 7:15 pm in reply to: Cant do long form…..spinning beach ball of $%^%$*#@I’m generalizing and just being cautionary, Paul. And as I say in the article, much of my POV is subjective to what my experience has been in the past. Yes, my article is “my opinion” and nothing more. Take what you want from it, and you are certainly entitled to disagree with me.
I said: “The bottom line? I don’t think that NLE’s are very good at handling long and complex sequences in general, so you are at a disadvantage from the get go. And unless you take some care before a project even begins, you may run into trouble with our friend the SBBOD.”
Sure Avid is BETTER at long form in the world of NLEs, but you cannot say that there are ZERO issues with Avid and long form. You still need to keep a long form project lean and mean regardless of the NLE.
When I worked at Pixar on “Nemo” you shoulda seen how long it took for that project file to load. It was excruciating (however it was a special case as there were thousands of pre-computes in a single sequence).
That being said, I think I’d rather cut a feature length piece on MC over FCP, for sure.
I’m not sure exactly why Avid is a bit more stable for long form, but I tend to think it’s because Avid doesn’t load the entire sequence into RAM as FCP seems to do. I’m fairly certain that Avid only loads the section you are working on into RAM dynamically.
I reserve the right to be wrong though! 😉
Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com
Pres. SF Cutters -
Kevin Monahan
June 15, 2006 at 7:02 pm in reply to: Importing 24hrs of DV footage, how would you guys do it?I think it’s OK to “Capture THEN Log” as long as you do take the time to make log notes and give every
subclip it’s own media file through consolidation. I’m old school and simply don’t want to deal with the
issues that hour long clips serve up. My conservative nature takes me longer to edit a piece, but it will
be a smooth process that causes less stress to my workflow overall. Like Tom, I’m a former linear editor
so I approach my edit sessions in the same way. View the footage>Make Notes>THEN Start Cutting.I sure wouldn’t want to work on any doc or otherwise where I wouldn’t have enough time to review your
footage first. How in the world can you have an organized edit session if you’ve never even seen the
footage? That’s crazy-talk in my book. I need to spend time with my footage, mull it over, try
different stuff, rely on my notes, even make new notes after I’ve reviewed the footage. Only then,
do I feel comfortable enough to start banging out edits. At the very least, I’ll view my footage
before ingesting it. If I do a log and batch capture, I’ll review each clip looking for both content
AND making sure the quality of picture and sound is intact directly after capturing it.I think I’ll remain old school
You “kids” can do whatcha wanna. 😉Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com
Pres. SF Cutters -
Kevin Monahan
June 15, 2006 at 6:50 pm in reply to: Cant do long form…..spinning beach ball of $%^%$*#@I’ve written an article on just that topic. Unfortunately, you may not like what I have to say about long form and how to beat the SBBOD, especially at this stage of the project.
https://web.mac.com/sfcutters/iWeb/fcpworld/news/FCDB0CCA-08D8-4562-B59E-67A8A2FFF685.html
Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com
Pres. SF Cutters -
Kevin Monahan
June 15, 2006 at 6:46 pm in reply to: question about loading FCP5 on more than one machine: Can I??Thanks a lot Ed…
Now I gotta clean up coffee from my keyboard from busting a gut.Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com
Pres. SF Cutters -
Kevin Monahan
June 15, 2006 at 6:40 pm in reply to: setting up pan level in the log and capture windowDon’t think you can set pan on capture via FireWire. You’ll have to do it after you capture the material. Copy/Paste Attributes makes short work of this.
Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com
Pres. SF Cutters -
Kevin Monahan
June 15, 2006 at 6:35 pm in reply to: Importing 24hrs of DV footage, how would you guys do it?[Charles Grinbaum] I was doing batch captures and logging individual clips, its been taking a long time,”
Welcome to the wonderful world of editing. It’s supposed to take awhile to not only log your clips, but to add log notes
for each clip so that you can sift and sort the clips later when you are in the throes of editing. Your edit will benefit greatly
by taking this extra time. Rookie editors are in such a rush to get stuff in the computer that they miss out on a lot of the
time it takes to digest the footage in the brain – and that makes for a poorly organized edit session. Personally?
I hate to have to wildly flail around hour long clips. At the very least, subclip your lengthy clips and consolidate the media
to give you your separate clips.Plus, FCP works much, much better when you are dealing with clips with short media files. Hour long clips don’t perform
quite as well when it comes to media management, speed changes and clean EDLs. I always think about keeping my
project media manageable and most importantly TOTALLY restorable should things go wrong. Short and discrete clips
take a long time to get into your system, but you’ll be glad that you did when you reach the finish line.Not sure if Start/Stop gives you individual media files. If it does, then that would be fine. Just make sure to name the
subclips and to add log notes.Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com
Pres. SF Cutters -
Kevin Monahan
June 15, 2006 at 6:24 pm in reply to: Slow Motion with final cut – stagnant frames?? On deadline :-((Are you rendering it at full quality?
How does it look on the NTSC monitor?Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com
Pres. SF Cutters -
Your problem does sound odd…
You might try to nest the composite, then add a drop shadow to the nest.Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com
Pres. SF Cutters -
Did you try Primatte in Motion yet?
BTW, no keying plug in is a magic bullet for all cases.
I like Keylight in AE or Shake.Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com
Pres. SF Cutters