Joseph W. bourke
Forum Replies Created
-
It sounds to me like maybe a bad alpha channel. Is it possible that the logo was originally on a solid, then cut out to make the alpha in Photoshop, using the magic wand tool? If so, what very often happens is that the tolerance on the background color pick misses a bunch of pixels, resulting in the “dusty” look you’re talking about. I hope that’s it – otherwise, I’ve got nothing. A quick check to see if it’s the alpha would be to put a mask around the logo as tight as you can get it, and see if the schmutz goes away.
Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com -
Generally, whenever you see an effect like this with a black background, it’s meant to be composited in Additive mode, a mode which sees the pixels which are brighter than black, and adds their value to the underlying pixels. The black disappears, but this effect only works over another layer.
In this case, there a couple of ways to go: you could use Additive mode, or you could get your hands on the free Unmult plugin, which you can find here:
https://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/free/#list
This one “unmultiplies” the pixels from the black ones, giving you an alpha channel. It’s really up to you, depending on the look you’re going for, which way you want to go.
Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com -
I firmly believe that if they had called it Fetal Cut Pro X that people would have immediately known that this baby was not ready to go out into the world yet. Let it rest, and get nourishment, and mature, until those missing features have grown into place, and everyting would be just fine, and this forum would never have happened.
Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com -
I’ve had very good luck with Pond5. They have an immense number of tracks, but since it’s a multimedia site, it’s a bit tough to search in the normal way you would on a music site (by style, instrumentation, etc.). But there are loads of very good (and bad) tracks there.
Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com -
Joseph W. bourke
February 11, 2012 at 1:24 am in reply to: Book recommendations for broadcast graphic designHi Angelo –
I have a couple of suggestions for books:
Motion Graphic Design: Applied History and Aesthetics, by Jon Krasner
also:
Design Essentials for the Motion Media Artist, by Angie Taylor
I would also suggest books on color theory, design (and not necessarily motion graphics design – good design is good design, no matter the application. Take a stroll through the books on the Focal Press website, and look around. There are loads of visually rich books on design, color theory, and topics you might not think apply, which will expand your visual sense.
Also look at what other people are doing – which you are doing, it seems, from your example. Pick the stuff you like, and deconstruct it, then duplicate it. It will start building ideas on how to depart from the copied stuff, once you know how it’s done.
Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com -
Andy –
You may know this already – if so, sorry – but the best way to get Adobe’s official ear is through here:
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform
The request feature and bug report form.
Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com -
Joseph W. bourke
February 9, 2012 at 2:31 pm in reply to: Creative COW StockYard is now live in full public betaI’m having some issues with rollover on the clips. When I roll over a clip, the box pops up, and the video starts playing with audio. If I mouse to another one, the audio from the first keeps playing, and seems to add the audio from every other clip I mouse over.
This is in IE8, running on Win XP Pro, by the way.
Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com -
I’ve heard that there are going to new features and bug fixes. Anything more you need to know?
Give Todd a break! He’s not the CEO of Adobe, and part of his job is most likely working under a non-disclosure agreement. Take a look at the Final Cut Pro: The Debate forum to see what it would be like here if, due to lack of input from a certain software company, insult and innuendo started flying. I’d rather get a polite “can’t talk about it right now” straight from the horse’s mouth than months of guessing and finger pointing, with total silence from the software company.
That said, I’d love to know what’s coming, but alienating the messenger sure ain’t going to help get anything sooner – it just shows a coarsness and lack of class better left in the political arena.
Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com -
Joseph W. bourke
February 7, 2012 at 3:27 am in reply to: Mixing Cheap and Expensive Lenses on Same Project?Right on the money John. I’m using my old Nikon primes from my F2 Photomic days on my T2i, and they are beautiful lenses. I picked up a few Nikon to Canon adapters, one for each lens, so I don’t have to keep swapping out the adapter and wearing it out, and a bunch of Canon rear caps for my now Canonized Nikon lenses, and the results are very nice.
And you can pick up these Nikon primes for a fraction of the price of a new Canon fast autofocus lens. Of course you have to be comfortable manually focusing and setting your stops, but with the addition of Magic Lantern software, the chore becomes a lot easier.
Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com -
Joseph W. bourke
February 6, 2012 at 2:14 pm in reply to: Nothing Is Professional & Industry Standards No Longer ExistI like this quote even better:
“Apple has a system in place in which we can get what used to be major upgrades as free updates, faster and easier than ever before, that no competitor can yet match today. I just don’t see Avid or Adobe getting updates out this fast, this easy. But I bet you anything, very soon, you’ll see them start to make inroads to this new paradigm, as well as metadata, database centric organizational tools.”
AVID and Adobe don’t need to get updates out “this fast, this easy” because the updates work. They don’t then have to scramble pushing out bug fixes, or adding patches for features they took away, or broke.
Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com