Forum Replies Created

Page 104 of 282
  • Joseph W. bourke

    July 18, 2013 at 5:24 pm in reply to: creating a cinematic, soft look?

    My first tip, and it’s probably too late to reshoot, is to shoot it the way a film would be shot – what I mean is using a reflector to fill in the eye socket shadows, so you don’t have the horrible shadows on everybody’s eyes. You might be able to do some correction on the video to lighten the shadows a bit, but losing any hint of eyes loses the very soul of a portrait, which is what these shots are.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    July 18, 2013 at 4:23 pm in reply to: Elements metropolitan

    One step I neglected to mention, if you’re doing the actual new .obj, is that you have to put that in place on the building, in 3D space. I assumed you’d know that, but not necessarily a valid assumption. I do 3D all the time, so I assumed it – shame on me…

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    July 18, 2013 at 4:18 pm in reply to: Elements metropolitan

    Hi Stephen –

    You would have to create a new 3D object (in .obj format – follow the Element 3D tutorials for creation – C4D format would work as well). This would work almost like a billboard would – then you would take your video into a layer in your comp where the Element project lives, and make it a custom texture. Then apply that to the “billboard”.

    If you don’t want the billboard to show as such, take the texture map from the building you want to use, open it in an AE comp (change the name of the texture, so you don’t trash the original), then composite your video where you want it to sit on the building. I think the first method may well be the easiest, and depending on whether the video is a “hero shot” or just passing by in the shot, could work fine.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    July 18, 2013 at 4:08 pm in reply to: Frame-by-frame drawing in After Effects

    Oh…one more:

    https://anime.smithmicro.com/anime-pro.html

    This one may not fit your desired workflow at all, but it might be just what you need. Although it might look like a toy on first glance, based on the content it’s creating in the demo, it’s really very powerful.

    And there’s also CrazyTalk Animator, which I own and use. But it’s a different animal altogether:
    https://www.reallusion.com/crazytalk/animator/animator_videogallery.aspx

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    July 18, 2013 at 3:47 pm in reply to: Frame-by-frame drawing in After Effects

    Thanks Chris –

    Let me know if you find anything – oh…I forgot to mention Artrage, a very nice, very inexpensive natural media paint package:

    https://www.artrage.com/ – I don’t think it has onion-skinning.

    On poking around, I also found this, but it’s pretty expensive:

    https://www.tvpaint.com/v2/content/article/products/tvpap.php

    And since we were talking about Corel Painter (or I was, anyway), it appears to be still used for this type of work, and it’s on sale right now for $299. Here’s a PDF with the workflow:

    https://www.corel.com/content/pdf/px/tutorials/premium_Gitanjali_Rao.pdf

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    July 18, 2013 at 2:34 pm in reply to: How would I slow a song to stop (ramp)?

    Sure – create the drone ending separately, then cut or fade it in as you need it. Since it’s a drone, no one will notice the difference, as long as it’s in the same key as the music.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    July 18, 2013 at 2:31 pm in reply to: Frame-by-frame drawing in After Effects

    The only decent implementations of frame-by-frame animation have always been in stills oriented packages – Photoshop, and (at the time) Fractal Design Painter. Painter had the ability, in addition to frame by frame animation (with onion skinning where you could choose the number of frames before and after your active frame), to record stroke by stroke, resulting in some very nice, painterly animations (hence the name, I suppose). Combustion had some cell animation capabilities, which far surpassed AD, but they also had incorporated the Paint software, another stills based package. I’m guessing that since frame by frame animation is stills based, that maybe it’s an afterthought for motion based software. That’s not to say that AE shouldn’t have it; I’d like to have the option to use it native to AE, but it wouldn’t be called for often in my work. I’ve done frame by frame animation on a Dubner broadcast system, in Painter, Combustion, and Photoshop, and I personally preferred Painter, but I now use Photoshop. But that said, there are effects in AE which would apply perfectly to the frame by frame style, so it would be nice to have it native (in addition to the full Photoshop brush set).

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    July 18, 2013 at 1:08 am in reply to: First DVD Studio Pro, Now Encore

    Here’s a useful link – it seems that you can download Encore CS6 as an ancillary file with the CC. I don’t know how or why, but it’s pretty well explained here:

    https://provideocoalition.com/ryoung/story/encore-cs6-creative-cloud

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    July 18, 2013 at 1:02 am in reply to: How Long to Archive Old Commercials?

    I know I have a box of 3/4 inch raw footage from a project I did over 20 years ago, but even worse, I have a 2 inch master of a commercial I did years before that. And I know that neither of the clients is ever coming back – they’re both long gone. So I guess it’s safe to get rid of the stock – is anybody buying one pass 3/4 inch tape these days? :>)

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    July 17, 2013 at 11:16 pm in reply to: Frame-by-frame drawing in After Effects

    This sounds like a job for Photoshop – you should have no trouble doing your frame by frame animation in PS in a timeline, then exporting to After Effects:
    https://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e41001031ab64-746fa.html

    Photoshop was made to do this.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

Page 104 of 282

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy