Forum Replies Created

Page 127 of 196
  • Joseph Owens

    July 6, 2012 at 7:30 pm in reply to: Best Way To Connect Two MacPro’s To One Drive

    [Shane Ross] “Then connect the Macs via Ethernet.”

    Surely this isn’t as simple as plugging an RJ45 cable between the two….

    and if you come back with “… and stop calling me Shirley”, you are so written out of my estate….

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    July 6, 2012 at 7:26 pm in reply to: SpeedGrade

    [Stuart Smith] “how close the Kona is to supporting SpeedGrade”

    About the same as supporting Resolve, I’d have to imagine. Doesn’t seem to be much point, because unless Blackmagic signs on, its moot — You’d have to be moving from Apple COLOR, but that is also going in the other direction from nVidia, the way most people would be set up with Adobe’s mercury Engine. (Inferring that Apple COLOR was friendlier to ATI/AMD GPUs.)

    And considering that Resolve is BMD’s baby…. they won’t even put in the work to extend support to Tangent 200-series control panels, and so I’m guessing Kona support is never gonna happen. It would be entirely in Adobe’s court to make it work, and here we go….

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    July 6, 2012 at 7:19 pm in reply to: Apple / Video Monitoring (without I/O device)

    [Jeremy Garchow] “a real live Speedgrade output that wouldn’t cost me an Nvidia card plus a $5k SDI daughter card that I will never use for anything else”

    Have you noticed that the Speedgrade forum is at least as moribund as the Apple COLOR one?

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    July 5, 2012 at 3:41 pm in reply to: Apple / Video Monitoring (without I/O device)

    All I might be able to add would be “Holy work-around, batman!”.

    Never fails to amaze me what lengths individuals will go to in order to avoid the obvious…. you know, what the manufacturer recommends and has tested.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • [Drew Angle] “is my MacBook at its limits with DaVinci?”

    Could be… what is the on-board GPU your laptop shipped with?

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    July 4, 2012 at 9:51 pm in reply to: Removed greenscreen, how to render alpha?

    Resolve will not render the alpha channel, so you are not able to accomplish this task with this application.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    July 3, 2012 at 6:01 pm in reply to: Tape is dead ???

    [Joseph W. Bourke] “I don’t know whether anyone even uses bars and tone any more – it doesn’t look that way.”

    You said it. Given the chaos that I experience receiving edited file-based projects, I cannot imagine anything ever passing QA. For broadcasters and distributors, the “on-line” digestive process is their first, last, and only line of defence to unify the deliverable on a format that is guaranteed to play when you mount it and push the button.

    With delivery deadlines and revision cycles there is no room for error. Or especially trying to fix a “baked” file that is riddled with tech errors. So from this corner of the world, you can still get HDCam/SR, DBeta, and (I’m as surprised as anybody) BetaSP and will for the foreseeable future. With anarchy the rule with codecs and a shocking lack of technical knowledge standard in the production world these days, I don’t see that ever changing, because its getting worse, not better.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    June 28, 2012 at 7:32 pm in reply to: TV (Follow Up)

    [Andrew Kimery] “I predict that 4k will become the norm”

    Pardon my ignorance, but is this full 4,000 x whatever RGB in all sensors, or is this that fake 4K Bayer pattern which if you aren’t doing a lot of interpolation is really 2K?

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    June 28, 2012 at 7:25 pm in reply to: I am Curious — Yellow, Cyan, Green…

    [Joseph Owens] “why would Speedgrade NOT be able to use the same IP addresses (eg. 192.168.1.101,2,3) as Apple COLOR”

    UPDATE. It can (set up a root IP address, eg. 192.168.1.100) but you must use “Manually” in the Apple network configuration, NOT “Using DHCP with manual address”. You have to completely shut down DHCP, which I am guessing hasn’t been a problem for most dedicated system users up to this point.

    jPo

    With thanks to Tangent Systems for assistance in troubleshooting this issue!

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    June 27, 2012 at 10:39 pm in reply to: tv?

    [Dominic Deacon] “4k kind of makes sense as it’s close to the resolution of 35mm but why 5k?”
    You’re kidding me right? My amplifier goes up to “11”. Its a very special custom job built only for me.

    And 5K would look really great on a 17′ rMBP.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

Page 127 of 196

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy