> Does anyone have any idea why this is?
This is because the plug-in is only 32-bit and you are trying to access from Vegas Pro 8.1 which is 64-bit.
> If the plugin is 32bit, but registers with my 64bit OS just fine, shouldn’t Vegas be able to see it?
It is registered as a 32-bit plug-in with your 64-bit OS because Vista 64 can also run 32-bit applications. It will only be seen by other 32-bit applications.
> Please don’t just tell me to wait for version 9. I need to complete this project right away, so that maybe I can afford 9 when its available.
I won’t because Version 9 is not the answer… Vegas Pro 8.0 is the answer. You must use the 32-bit version of Vegas Pro 8.0 to access 32-bit plug-ins and the 64-bit version of Vegas Pro 8.1 to work with 64-bit plug-ins. Vegas Pro 8.0 can open 8.1 projects just fine so it should work.
~jr
http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com