Forum Replies Created

Page 233 of 374
  • John Cuevas

    December 12, 2012 at 1:02 pm in reply to: How to change partially the color of text in AE?

    Santiago,

    Vishesh is right, that is absolutely the easiest way to create the effect you were trying to achieve. Sometimes when working in AE, a person forgets the easy way to do things and goes right for the more complicated solution and I did that time.

    One thing though is with my method, you can animate the colors/what letters are colored and so on through the use of text animators. So if that’s something you are interested in doing take a look at those tutorials.

    Thanks Vishesh for showing the more straight forward answer.

    Johnny Cuevas, Editor
    Thinkck.com

    “I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work.”
    —THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

  • John Cuevas

    December 12, 2012 at 12:58 pm in reply to: Masking long orbiting text string

    The problem here is when you bring your 3D text into the final composition, it’s not really 3D anymore. It’s a composite of the previous compositions, which was 3d, but right now is a flat layer. Also what could be a problem is I’m not sure how you created your globe, but I’m going to assume you CC Sphere(which isn’t 3D either, but creates a 3D perspective).

    Enable the 3D check box on your text layer, press “r” and rotate the image 45 degrees and you will see it’s flat. To bring your 3D forward from your pre-comp, you need to press the icon that looks like a sun, that is the collapse transformations button. Essentially pressing that button brings forward the layer transformations from the previous comp(position, rotation, 3D). Here’s a short tutorial on the collapse transformations button. The Naked Truth About Collapse Transformations

    So if you press the collapse transformations button, you will get your transformations from the previous comp. You will lose your lighting, so you will need to copy and paste you lights into your final comp.

    Also you will need to make your Earth a 3D layer, you just don’t want to use any of the 3D transformations for the earth layer. If it’s created with CC Sphere, use all the rotational properties in from the effect. Finally, press AA and turn accept Lights to off for the earth layer. Any lighting effects, you will need to create using the effects own lighting.

    From what I’ve seen, you could of built this project in your text layers comp. It would of saved your the step of collapsing the transformations and copy and pasting the light. Hopefully I understood exactly what you were doing and this was helpful. I created a simplified version of your project that you might want to use as a guide(using the collapse transformations method and building everything in a single comp method): 5070_rotationaroundglobefolder.zip

    Johnny Cuevas, Editor
    Thinkck.com

    “I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work.”
    —THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

  • John Cuevas

    December 12, 2012 at 1:57 am in reply to: How to change partially the color of text in AE?

    Happy to help.

    Johnny Cuevas, Editor
    Thinkck.com

    “I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work.”
    —THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

  • John Cuevas

    December 12, 2012 at 1:51 am in reply to: Masking long orbiting text string

    Can you post a screen grab of your comp window(third to last icon), I’m having a little understanding exactly the issue.

    Johnny Cuevas, Editor
    Thinkck.com

    “I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work.”
    —THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

  • John Cuevas

    December 12, 2012 at 1:45 am in reply to: How to change partially the color of text in AE?

    There are a few ways you could do this, but probably the best way to do it would be through the use of text animators. Create your text in black and twirl open the text, click the “Animate” fly out and choose “Fill Color”.

    Now you just need to adjust the range selector so that only the first 4 letters are red. To make things easier, twirl open the “Range Selector” and then “Advanced” and change “Units” to Index. Now just change the Range > End to 4. and you will have your Red/Black coloration.

    Text animators are an incredible resource in AE and there are many tutorials you can use to learn them. I highly recommend you take a look at Andrew Davis’s AE Tutorials, he covers text animators in 37 to 45.

    Also as I worked out how to do this, I created a project, so if it helps take a look: 5069_textanimatorcs5.5.aep.zip

    Johnny Cuevas, Editor
    Thinkck.com

    “I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work.”
    —THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

  • John Cuevas

    December 11, 2012 at 9:05 pm in reply to: Expression and CC cylinder

    No problem, glad to do it.

    Johnny Cuevas, Editor
    Thinkck.com

    “I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work.”
    —THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

  • John Cuevas

    December 11, 2012 at 8:21 pm in reply to: Expression and CC cylinder

    This method adds keyframes to another layer, but will leave your original effect/keyframes alone. I added a null and added the effect > Expressions Control > Angle Control(you don’t really need to add the null, I just think it’s a little cleaner). Then I added this expression to the rotational property of the cylinder:

    value + thisComp.layer("Null 1").effect("Angle Control")("Angle")

    That takes the current value of the rotation and adds the value from the null.

    Here’s a simple project to illustrate: 5068_valueexpressionfolder.zip

    Johnny Cuevas, Editor
    Thinkck.com

    “I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work.”
    —THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

  • John Cuevas

    December 11, 2012 at 6:03 pm in reply to: Pixelated font characters

    You are welcome, hope it was helpful

    Johnny Cuevas, Editor
    Thinkck.com

    “I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work.”
    —THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

  • John Cuevas

    December 11, 2012 at 12:23 pm in reply to: Photoshop layer imports at “wrong” scale

    Glad I could help out.

    Johnny Cuevas, Editor
    Thinkck.com

    “I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work.”
    —THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

  • John Cuevas

    December 11, 2012 at 12:22 pm in reply to: Actions for After effects

    Glad I was able to help

    Johnny Cuevas, Editor
    Thinkck.com

    “I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work.”
    —THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Page 233 of 374

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy