Forum Replies Created

Page 226 of 315
  • Herb Sevush

    February 1, 2012 at 2:18 pm in reply to: Check out the multicam videos

    [Jeremy Garchow] “If every camera has the same ch1, then you would simply switch to what audio angle and video angle you’d need.

    Isn’t that what you do in 7 now?”

    Actually what I need to do is use some of the different Ch.2 iso’s to fix problems in the mixed track. With 7 there are a number of ways to do this, using either the audio from one of the angle’s of the multi-clip or actually matching back to the original source clip to get the audio.

    I’m watching Andy Neil’s MultiCam tutorials and I see that the multi-clip functions allow for switching audio between angles fairly easily, so it looks good so far, as long as I can isolate Ch.2 from Ch.1 when I need to, although I’ve heard this is one of the clunkier aspects of X.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    February 1, 2012 at 1:54 am in reply to: Check out the multicam videos

    [Jeremy Garchow] “Just learned that you can put audio in its own angle and tell FCPX to use that angle for audio.”

    That’s nice, but it’s not the issue.

    When I shoot with multiple cameras I use the tracks of the various cameras as a multi-track audio source. All cameras get a mixed track on ch. 1, but I iso the various talent on each of the Ch.2 tracks on the different cameras, along with iso shotgun effects tracks. While I’m sure it’s easy to switch the video of a given clip between the various angles, how easy is it to witch the audio of a given clip between the various angles and between different channels, all while maintaining sync?

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    January 31, 2012 at 9:34 pm in reply to: Check out the multicam videos

    [David Lawrence] “And check out that Angle Editor UI — it kinda reminds me of something… One can dream “

    Yes, multi-cam with a source viewer and tracks. I wonder if you can treat a single clip as a one angle multi-clip?

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    January 31, 2012 at 9:31 pm in reply to: Check out the multicam videos

    [Jeremy Garchow] “Curious to hear your findings.”

    February is a very busy month for me, I plan on waiting till March to download and give it a real work out. From a features point of view it sounds very promising. I also plan on getting out to NAB this year and see what Adobe has to offer. I need to make a decision by May; let the best ap win.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    January 31, 2012 at 8:25 pm in reply to: Check out the multicam videos

    Rather than spending almost all the time showing how to set-up the multi-clip I wish the demo had spent more time showing the actual cutting on the timeline, how the clips reacts to being cut internally, ability to use clips out of sync intentionally, ability to assign audio … I will say the feature set seems to be all I was hoping for, but the devil is in the details.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    January 31, 2012 at 7:34 pm in reply to: Magic Bullet Looks available for FCPX

    [John Kaley] “I wonder if Colorista II is now EOL, as it appears Looks2 has acquired most of it’s toolset.”

    Hardly, no keyer, no secondaries.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    January 25, 2012 at 8:58 pm in reply to: multicam editing hdv

    [Alan Stephens] “the nested sequence has a red line and when I press play it displays unrendered. The seq settings seem to be in order and the same as the hdv footage.”

    The only thing I could suggest is to transcode one set of clips as ProRes and then see if you get the same results.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    January 23, 2012 at 10:18 pm in reply to: multicam editing hdv

    Alan –

    I edit 4 camera ProRes 720P60 on a Mac Pro all day long. Depending on drive speed, I sometime get the green preview bar in the timeline, but it plays back fine with only a small hit to the resolution. I don’t know about HDV and I don’t work with a MacBook Pro, but your computer has more cores than my 5 year old Mac Pro. You raid seems fast enough to handle it, it’s not the problem.

    As far as editing technique goes, instead of trying to live switch from the viewer window, lay the multi-clip down on a new timeline. Then play back the timeline, switching angles by using the keypad. See if that works.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    January 23, 2012 at 9:26 pm in reply to: Post work-rush thoughts about FCP-X

    [Richard Herd] “What do you mean “it doesn’t work”?”

    It doesn’t work as in it’s useless as an editing tool, not it doesn’t work because the compound clip won’t play.

    You need a couple of things to edit multi-cam efficiently. You need to be able to see all your angles at the same time, always. You need that to make proper decisions about which is the best shot to use. You then need a way to drop that chosen angle onto the timeline for the duration you’ve picked. When playing back the timeline you still need to see all the angles in sync with the timeline so you can revise your choices and you also need a quick and easy way to replace one angle with another on that same timeline for those revisions.

    There’s more features that are helpful, and I haven’t even touched the audio side of things, but that’s a bare minimum. Now how do you accomplish that with your compound clips?

    You can edit multi-cam without any special tools — it’s just incredibly time wasteful. This inefficiency obviously gets worse with every additional camera angle in your show.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    January 22, 2012 at 11:52 pm in reply to: is the regular Ki-Pro going to support DNxHD ?

    [Jef Huey] “From what I read and hear, the Sound Devices product records the DNx as .mov file, not .mxf files.”

    I believe that’s because the .mxf is proprietary even though the DNx codec is now available to everyone. I would imagine re-wrapping to .mxf would be near instantaneous, also I might be heading PPro’s way but would still like to use the DNx codec.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

Page 226 of 315

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy