Forum Replies Created

Page 225 of 315
  • [Craig Seeman] “Given Apple’s methodology with this I suspect it will be contextual though rather than always on. “

    That’s one of my big conceptual problems with X, the idea that the programmers understand the context better than the editor. If the editor wants it to be always on, he should have that option – it’s not up to someone else to determine what’s best for any given editor. The multi-cam viewer demonstrates they can give that option, now it remains to be seen if they will.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    February 2, 2012 at 5:55 pm in reply to: What CAN it be used for?

    [alban egger] “SDI-Monitoring is still BETA, andOMF Export is still not the way it should be, but other than that FCP7 is left behind in the dust since version 10.0.0 due to the 64-bit architecture;”

    Let’s not overdo it – can you paste FX between clips in X? Are there out of sync markers and do they allow you to snap clips back in sync with 1 click? I think that list goes on for awhile.

    Not trying to take anything away from X, and you are absolutely correct in that Legacy is a 32 bit dinosaur in many ways, but to say X is as fully featured, right at this moment, as any of the major NLE’s is stretching it a bit far.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Craig Seeman] “To call it contextually would be more elegant than always on Source / Record”

    How about letting the editor decide the context instead of the programmer? Why not a simple option to have a source viewer at the editor’s discretion; whenever, whyever?

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [tony west] “are you looking at booth your viewer screen and canvas screen simultaneously?”

    When comparing eye lines I need to look simultaneously, also when checking color matching between shots. If a single viewer could shift just by reading my mind that would be fine, but having to use a keystroke for that action would get to be a drudge.

    For Multi-Cam, which is most of what I do, you have to have both up simultaneously, which is why X uses a viewer window in that mode. By acknowledging that it’s possible to have a viewer window at all, X now begs the question – why not give the editor the option in normal editing modes? I’m not saying you should be forced to give up your screen real estate, but it should be up to the editor – which seems to go against the grain of the X design philosophy, but who knows?

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    February 2, 2012 at 2:44 pm in reply to: What CAN it be used for?

    [Ben Scott] “if you are doing multi format and multi cam productions FCPX is far better experience.”

    How can you know that, are you a Beta tester? Have you cut a bunch of multi-cam shows, has anyone? I agree that the function list is excellent and the demo’s are nice, as far as they go, but don’t you think it would be better to actually use this stuff in battle conditions before anointing it?

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [tony west] “I got used to not having that viewer. I like looking at one BIG screen now instead of two smaller ones.
    I want to see stuff big. If I could work on a 52 inch screen that would be ideal for me.”

    If you have monitor out you can have source and timeline viewers and watch your material all day on any size screen you want. You want 52 inch screen, go for it. No reason to give up source viewers. As multi-cam has now demonstrated X works very well with 2 viewers. Maybe Apple should just allow for single angle multi-cam and make everyone happy.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    February 2, 2012 at 2:30 am in reply to: Check out the multicam videos

    [Jeremy Garchow] “First of all, is that America’s Test Kitchen??? Cool.”

    Yes its ATK. I hepled develop it 12 years ago and have been Dir/Editor ever since.

    [Jeremy Garchow] “In your case, I’d lay channel 1 as angle. Then use the rest of the angles as separate mono tracks as needed. You can then blade where you want, and change the audio angle on that section like you have shown.”

    For next year I can change the audio assignments so everything I want is always on Ch.1 of the various angles. it would be nice to be able to cut back and forth between Ch.1 and Ch.2, but it’s not a deal breaker as long as I can specify how the material is shot.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    February 1, 2012 at 8:48 pm in reply to: Check out the multicam videos

    [Tomas Rugevicius Rugys] “I found no way to access separate audio channels on multiclip on the timeline. There is no way of detaching them in timeline as you usually do with simple clips if you want to work with separate channels. You can only turn of/on a right or left mono channel on original clips engaged in multiclip”

    Well that’s not welcome news, is it. I guess someone will come up with a work around.

    That’s the problem with using demo’s based on music videos – they’re actually very easy to cut and don’t have the required complexity to test a multi-cam function properly.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    February 1, 2012 at 3:34 pm in reply to: Check out the multicam videos

    Jeremy –

    under the heading of 1 pix and a lot of words let me present the following:

    The audio is in sync to the video clip. The middle audio section (highlighted) is ch.2, the host’s iso track, the left and right audio sections are from ch.1, the mixed track. The reason for the edit was clothing rustle on the talents mic which ruined the mixed track. Is this sort of thing easy to do in X?

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    February 1, 2012 at 2:41 pm in reply to: Check out the multicam videos

    [Jeremy Garchow] “I find choosing audio tracks in FCPX not to be clunky, but this is me you’re talking to.
    “

    I had been led to believe that switching back and forth between different audio channels from the same source clip was awkward – that is going ch.1 / ch.2 / ch.1 audio from a single continuous clip.

    Well, I guess it will have to wait till I try it out and then I’m sure I’ll have lots or real questions to post.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

Page 225 of 315

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy