Forum Replies Created

Page 224 of 315
  • [David Lawrence] “To some of us, empty vertical space is information.”

    Thanks for the opportunity to vamp on my earlier post.

    In X the empty space has no value, but in any tracked system the empty track is itself information – If you use tracks 3-5 for EFX and they are empty at a certain point in time that tells you that there are “no effects at this point.” It’s sort of like the “rest” notation in music, it doesn’t mean “nothing,” it means that there is silence for a specific period of time for a specific type of sound, which is very valuable information to have.

    With the magnetic timeline, since space has no meaning, the absence of objects in space has no specific meaning either. 4 tracks that become 2 tracks could mean the music stopped, could mean the dialogue stopped, could mean anything at all.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Craig Seeman] ” You’ll get two windows when you perform a task that requires two windows.”

    Who determines which task needs 2 windows, me or an Apple programmer who’s never edited a show in his life?

    [Craig Seeman] ” I can have 10 layers at one point and two at another and not have a lot of dead space.”

    All you have created is worthless emptiness (sounds like a novel by Camus). The dead space still exists because you are locked into the geometry of the monitor. What exactly appears in this now “un-dead” space – zombies or icon’s of Steve Jobs?

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Craig Seeman] “Not the same thing. FCPX Viewer changes dynamically between Source and Record. FCP legacy didn’t give me that option.”

    Are we back to playing ridiculous word games. Legacy also doesn’t give me the option to communicate with Mars, so what –

    X refuses to give you options that are possible, Legacy gave you every option it could give you – you are correct that it couldn’t give you an option for something it couldn’t do at all.

    The difference between the 2 is enormous.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Craig Seeman] “FCP legacy didn’t give me the option to go with one Viewer “

    What are you talking about. Just hit the minimize button on the source viewer and it goes away. Why you would want to is a different question.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [David Lawrence] ” It’s better design and far easier to offer choice and let the user decide.”

    Can I hear an Amen brother?

    (in unison) Amen!!!

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    February 2, 2012 at 10:01 pm in reply to: What CAN it be used for?

    [Richard Herd] “Cutting an episode, with a deadline? Oh man, you are brave.”

    I have long since learned that I cannot learn anything this tough without the fear of imminent bankruptcy as motivation. Besides, I’m also the post supervisor and I’ll make sure to add a week to the schedule.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Bill Davis] “Perhaps your brother might have really enjoyed one of those “try level” chess games that we all saw in the original StarTrek series?”

    I’ve played it, he’s played it, it was new, it was not better.

    [Bill Davis] “Just because the game has been played in two dimensions for generations and plenty, PLENTY difficult in that form, doesn’t mean that there should NEVER be a different way to visualize things.”

    Tri level chess isn’t a different way to visualize chess, it’s a different game. And there’s a reason why it isn’t played much — it isn’t as much fun. In restriction there can be great freedom.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    February 2, 2012 at 9:17 pm in reply to: What CAN it be used for?

    [alban egger] “I can give you a few features none of the “major NLEs” do that FCPX does great.”

    I have no problem with any of the things you say in this post. I am sure that FCPX has many great, unique features. It’s just that I have appointed myself head of the hyperbole police, and when you made the statement in the previous post that other than OMF and external monitoring there is nothing left for Legacy to teach FCPX I would beg to differ. I think that is overstating the case. Maybe in a year or so, but not yet.

    Anyhow in about a month or so I intend to give X a thorough tryout, probably try cutting the last of my 26 episodes with it, and then I will have more to say. I might even come to agree with you, stranger things have happened.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Bill Davis] “you do realize that there are lots and lots of exceptional chess players who are so good that they don’t even need a physical board? They simply “think differently’ about the game than the player that has to exclusively use visual cues to maintain orientation.”

    Bill your metaphors are so illogical that I can’t resist, especially since I grew up with one of those chess players, one who could give me a drubbing without looking at the board. But they don’t “think differently” — they have the ability to visualize the board in their minds, and in the case of those who can play simultaneous blind chess, the memory to go from one visualization to another. But the board they visualized is the board you can see – they don’t have it encoded in a different way. A chess board is a chessboard, 64 spaces arranged vertically and horizontally. If my brother had grown up with a magnetic chessboard, where ranks and files came and went as the game changed, he’d have switched to bridge long ago.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    February 2, 2012 at 7:23 pm in reply to: What CAN it be used for?

    [Lance Bachelder] “No you don’t get a big list like FCP7 but you just mentioned FX, “

    Your right, I only mentioned FX, you got me.

    Of course the point was that FCP7 has some features still lacking in X, so are you saying that the FCPX copy attributes feature is as robust as the one found in Legacy, because I have heard many complaining that it wasn’t ?

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

Page 224 of 315

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy