Forum Replies Created

Page 223 of 315
  • What the heck, here’s the original thread and the quote that I lifted for my sig.

    https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/17728

    All this to say that I’ll second Mark Morache with his unease with the “primary storyline”. The first steps of editing should not dictate your end. The story of a film (for those that rely on stories) is a result of the editing process, not the starting point. This is true whether the film is scripted or not – “story” is an impression left on the audience and will differ from audience member to audience member. Frankly I’m baffled that I would have to decide the spine at the beginning. Deciding the spine is the process of editing.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Bill Davis] “Also, Herb, Reading your sig again, I had to laugh…That “spine” thing you guys are so focused on…it now has a name. The Primary Storyline.”

    Bill, it’s a sad thing to watch the memory go …

    That sig thing came from a discussion about the primary storyline, and how the concept of needing to know what your primary storyline was before starting your edit was lunacy. It was then that Franz came up with what I think of as a concise definition of the true nature of editing.

    But for X the problem still remains, how do you know what should be on the primary storyline when solving that mystery should be the aim of your work?

    Unless of course your working on one dimensional projects which lack the complexity to mystify.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Craig Seeman] “No they didn’t all love it”

    No, they all loved it. Some unconditionally, like you would with your child, some with conditions, like you would for your crazy uncle.

    [Craig Seeman] “They said things like Avid will win certain markets. “

    Has anybody in even their wildest delusional dreams thought otherwise?

    [Craig Seeman] “From my own “travels” that seems to be the shift with 10.0.3. I see very few haters.”

    In my travels I meet a large number of editors who simply think Apple is dead as far as pro editing goes, they laugh if you even mention X. For many X is not even part of the equation, it’s not even worth hating.

    [Craig Seeman] “I even see the shift happening here. Heck, I’ve can’t ever recall Aindreas being this mellow before. He’s down to snarl. “

    You don’t tug on superman’s cape, you don’t piss into the wind …

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Craig Seeman] “An EXCELLENT series from a diverse group. “

    Very diverse? Seven editors who’s opinion ranges from X is the greatest NLE ever invented to X is one of the greatest NLE’s ever invented. I just wonder where Phil might have gone to get a slightly more interesting range of opinions?

    Andreas, why don’t you give Phil a call.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Michael Aranyshev] “I often use constructions like “digital negative” and “digital workprint” and so far I find it making a lot of sense.”

    The reason being that they come from the feature film world, where you are directly replacing a film process with a digital equivalent. To be picky, those are digital workflow expressions, not NLE specific. They make sense when dealing with clients who knew the film equivalents in the first place – there are plenty of corporate clients who wouldn’t know what you were talking about.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Walter Soyka] “he overreaches by a mile with the claim that NLEs follow the paradigm of negative cutting.”

    My guess is he’s never seen negative A&B rolls in his life. The only film metaphor commonly in use with NLE’s is that of the “bin.” Since film editing was primarily single viewer one could as easily state that FCPX is actually a retro throwback to film editing. One could, but I wouldn’t.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Would like to know how both of these statements can work in the same argument.

    “all NLE’s to date have looked and acted the exact same way from the beginning.”

    followed soon by

    “No tool in any NLE was an “industry standard” because all NLE’s did various things differently with different terms for the tools and processes they used all along, period. There never was any industry standard or professional terminology in NLE’s, ever!”

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Craig Seeman] “and on bigger monitors it looks even more vacuous.”

    I’m using two 23″ monitors but I’m missing the vacuity.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Jeremy Garchow] “How would you do this in Color, for example? The Still Store and a split screen? Easily achievable in X, and it’s not a dedicated grading app. Color has one viewer.”

    Tried color, never used it much; but tell me what’s quicker and easier, still store and split screen, or looking up at a viewer window?

    Since multicam always needs a viewer I guess I’m just used to it. X gives me the viewer in multicam mode so it’s mostly a conceptual point for me and I probably shouldn’t complain till after I’ve tried it.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Craig Seeman] “In FCP legacy Apple programmers didn’t give me an option either.”

    I disagree. Of course they couldn’t give you an option to do something the software wasn’t capable of, but within the boundaries of the tools at hand Legacy gave options for almost everything. One of the things that made it hard to use for beginners was the fact that almost everything was customizable and there were multiple ways to do almost anything.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

Page 223 of 315

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy