Herb Sevush
Forum Replies Created
-
[Christopher Travis] “could anyone point me in the direction of some good websites or manufacturers who could kit me out with a decent PP/MC setups”
adkvideoediting.com
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Jeremy Garchow] ” As Craig said, perhaps we won’t like the “alternative” MacPro or whatever form factor it’s going to be. Perhaps there’s a chance Apple will license OSX to certain manufacturers to run on something other than Apple manufacturers hardware. That’s a long shot, admittedly. We haven’t heard anything officially, so I can’t make any official decisions.”
Aye, there’s the rub, nobody’s heard anything official but we still have to allocate resources and plan. That’s why threads like this one get started. I don’t really care about the form factor, if Tbolt can handle the I/O for my raid and blackmagic card, the GPU is something like a Quadro 4000 and I can add 24meg of Ram, the box can look like a turtle and quack like a duck and I’ll still buy it.
The idea of Apple licensing out to manufacturers is a pipe dream — and I’d like a hit off that pipe. Even if Apple comes out with a high end revised system after June it will be too late for me, I will have committed my budget elsewhere and will be long gone. I don’t think I’m alone in that either, NAB is a deadline for a lot of people.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Jeremy Garchow] ” unless of course you take the time to explain your facial contortions, use a nonverbal proxy in the form of an emoticon, or surround a word in asterisks to make it blatantly obvious”
While a little OT, although “off-topic” might be a possible new name for this forum, I’d like to quibble with this.
For hundreds of years people have communicated solely thru the written word without the use of emoticons or asterisks, often to people they have never met in person. They wrote on paper and they often called this type of correspondence a letter, named I suppose after the symbols of the alphabet. Often the letters were witty and full of humor and one wonders how it was possible to understand them without seeing the writers face, or a symbol thereof. Perhaps the thickness of the ink clued the reader in to the emotional state of the writer. Or perhaps these “letters” (they did use parentheses) were better written. It’s a mystery.
[Jeremy Garchow] “Herb’s post to be simply untrue, hence my confusion. If there was a joke, I missed it, sorry. The MacPro is still on sale. “
What was untrue?
There was no joke.Yes the MacPro is still on sale, but, as per this thread, probably not for too long. If you need any of the items I mentioned previously for your post workflow then, while OSX may be perfectly keen, the hardware necessary for that workflow will soon be gone. Investing in the purchase of a dying ecosystem does not make that much sense, talking as someone who might have to buy a used MacPro in the next 2 months. If PPro comes out with a way to directly read FCP projects I can avoid buying one of these zombie boxes, otherwise I’m stuck pissing my money away for a short term need. No joke indeed.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Jeremy Garchow] “Sticking with OSX and macs doesn’t mean you have to edit on FCPX. “
Yes, you can stay with OSX as long as you don’t need PCIe, multiple processors, expanded memory, or a cuda enabled video card.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Bill Hall] “Either we will see a lively discussion or a fist fight.”
Like the Hekawis of “F-Troop” fame, we are lovers, not fighters.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Frank Gothmann] ” I think there will be shift towards other codecs over time, especially when towers go.”
I agree. I think there will be a switch even if the towers don’t go, one of the consequences of Apple’s walking away from the dominance of FCP. But I’m not a long time planner, my needs are immediate, I have to jump one way or another by the end of May, and Apple’s silence is killing me.
Long term I think many of us will be working on Linux boxes and delivering in codecs that haven’t been announced or even developed yet. But long term doesn’t pay the rent.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Jason J Rodriguez] “FFMPEG now supports ProRes 422 encoding and decoding on all platforms (OSX, PC, Linux).”
As I just posted elsewhere I need to encode from within editing software, otherwise the encoding re-encoding steps kill my workflow.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Gary Huff] “This is Apple’s fault.”
It seems more like a marketing decision, and it’s working, at least in my case.
[Gary Huff] “Wikipedia has some information about third-party software that can encode ProRes on Windows. You can also do it for free using 5DtoRGB for Windows.”
Reliability and ease are key for me. If I’m switching to PPro on a windows machine I want to be able to encode either from within PPro or AME – I’m not messing up my workflow by editing in ProRes then exporting in something else only to have to re-encode in ProRes. Life is hard enough.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Frank Gothmann] “After a few month of working in win7 I honestly don’t want to go back to OSX. I find it as stable (if not more in mixed network environments), more flexible and overall faster… to the point where I am seriously considering ditching my private Macbook Pro for an HP Laptop.”
From the point of view of a wintel person who bought his first mac 7 years ago for FCP studio I will give a few reasons why I’m hoping Apple comes out with an upgrade (and soon.)
Networking is much. much easier in OSX. I have a mixed network of Macs and PCs and I’m forever having network problems on the PC side. Everything about setting up and maintaining a network seems easier in OSX. You can take into consideration that I’m a network moron, for anything complex I have to get outside help.
ProRes. Many of my deliverable are in ProRes and there’s no good way to encode it on a PC that I’m aware of. I’m hoping, hard, that either someone comes out with a good, reliable PC ProRes encoder or that the market opens up to other deliverables (DNxHD ??) but for the moment I’m shackled to OSX.
On another note, after getting my first Mac Pro I switched my home computer to a Mac Mini. After a few years I switched back to a PC notebook, basically because of the better software available. If you’ve ever used Quicken, the difference between the Mac version and the Windows version alone would make the switch back to Windows worth it. As is often the case with Apple products OSX is simpler to use, but the price of simplicity is that it’s often much more limited in scope. So is it simple or simple minded? Are PCs complex or over complicated?
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Jeremy Garchow] “What a reel number does is point a person or computer to a physical medium.”
Yes.
[Jeremy Garchow] “This number is computerrific as it can point directly to a file through a search regardless of directory or location on the disk. Who needs bins and folders? ;)”
Who needs bins and folders? Me. But I like the rest of your picture. Although I might want a shorter reel #.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf