Herb Sevush
Forum Replies Created
-
Fabulous. Gives me an idea for a new cooking show, “Sam Peckinpah’s Kitchen Favorites.”
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Chris Kenny] “I did in fact predict major changes arising from questioning standard assumptions about how editing worked, and a feature set that wasn’t a strict superset of FCP 7’s”
I stand corrected, you were very prescient on this matter. Not being one to read things like Apple Insider I was unaware that this was being discussed. I will stand by my statement that most editors were unaware of these possibilities. The main rumor I heard was Apple selling off FCP and getting out of ProAps. Now that seems like a consummation devoutly to be wished for.
Actually I find the Apple Insider posting you were blogging about interesting reading at this point in time.
5/18/10
“Apple’s Final Cut Studio suite of video post production apps is getting a significant makeover to better target the software to the mainstream of Apple’s customer base rather than high end professionals.
According to a person with knowledge of Apple’s internal Pro Apps plans, the company has shuffled around management within the Final Cut team in order to retarget its efforts to more closely match the needs of the majority of its customers. Apple’s Mac customer base has steadily shifted from desktop models to notebooks, while also broadening out from a high end creative niche to a wider installed base that includes more prosumer and advanced home users.”I find AI’s analyses more on target than yours. They brought the app to market to suit this new demographic and took almost a year to bring to market the other features desired by the less important “higher end” of the market. I don’t know about you, but I prefer to be the desired demographic for the products I use. I’m not as interested in building my business around a product that treats me like “oh and here’s something for you, when we get around to it.”
[Chris Kenny] “In short, I think they’ll come up with something really interesting… that will probably cause a bunch of people to totally freak out about how Apple has ruined everything and make forceful public declarations about how they’re leaving the platform.”
If you predicted that everyone would freak out, why do you get so amazed that everyone is freaking out?
-
[Chris Kenny] “Apple has never been a very communicative company. It’s unclear to me why this suddenly seems to have started bothering some people a lot more lately.”
That’s just silly.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Craig Seeman] “It’s actually smart business although maybe not great customer relations.”
I’ve never thought creating bad customer relations is good business, but then again I’m not Apple. On the other hand HP doesn’t seem to need to screw their customers to make a buck.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Chris Kenny] “It was obvious to careful observers for years that classic FCP was going scraped and entirely replaced. There were clear technical considerations that made this necessary. So could you be more specific about your objection here? Is it simply that you wish the replacement had been a little more similar to classic FCP?”
That’s revisionist history. It was obvious that FCP was going to be upgraded to 64 bit, and that Quicktime was a problem in going forward. Everyone expected an upgrade similar to PPro and Avid, and no one expected the EOL of Legacy and the creation of an entirely new, totally incompatible program that shared nothing with Legacy other than it’s name. If you were expecting otherwise before last March, direct me to the post.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Eric Parker Andersen] “Just a quick thought for those that wrestle with the magnetic timeline in FCPX. Just lay down a big gap clip, and edit everything else as a connected storyline. Bam, almost a classic NLE timeline, almost.”
But in every other NLE on the market I don’t have to do that, I can just edit to my hearts content. What’s in it for me. Speed? Not compared to Edius, or PPro. Roles? I prefer tracks. Organization? Many prefer Avid.
I have never had a problem dealing with track collisions, before the X release I didn’t know there was a name for this behavior. I don’t need to be protected from something I don’t have a problem with. I’m not saying it doesn’t work for some, I am saying that as far as editing workflow goes, the prize doesn’t seem worth the price, at least not for me.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Chris Kenny] “The chief argument against FCP X these days seems to be that people don’t trust Apple”
That’s just one of a number of reasons.
Until the most recent release, 1.0.4 I believe, it was incredibly buggy and many of those on this forum who really love the design simply couldn’t use it for paying work. By all accounts the latest release is a lot better, but that been what – 2 whole weeks out of the last year. Version 1 it might be, but why would a working editor want to base his paycheck on that kind of performance.
Next, the magnetic timeline is not to everyone’s liking, to say it mildly. For many it is the answer to a question that they weren’t asking. FCPX has a distinct design style and for many editors it runs counter to the way they work. Since Apple chose to re-invent the wheel, it’s not surprising that those who simply wanted a better wheel are not enthusiastic.
Finally there is Apple itself. Yes, many editors no longer trust Apple. I guess they’re all delusional, it must be something in the water they don’t drink. Or maybe it’s just the silence, the lack of communication. The unavoidable comparison between Adobe and Apple, and even between the “new” Avid and Apple, as far as communicating a vision for the product over the next few years contributes as much as anything to the distrust of Apple.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Craig Seeman] “Keep in mind the new Thunderbolt controllers are just coming out as well so Apple may have be waiting for all the pieces.”
As my grandma used to say “from your mouth to god’s ears.”
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Jeremy Garchow] “Just curious, but have you even tired plugging in a thunderbolt raid (to an iMac/laptop) and doing a 5 cam multicam? How do you know what dream is possible?”
Since these new TBolt expansion chassis were just announced in the past few days, I would have to say no to that.
In general the idea of using an Imac with Tbolt connectors is not very appealing. I’m trying to maximize my bandwidth; I want to maximize my ram and my GPU possibilities, I want PCIe 3 type speeds – how does that fit in with the idea of an Imac and Tbolt xpansion.
However, if someone can show me that I can get the speed I want with all the peripherals I need with Tbolt Imacs I will definitely give it a look. My preference now is to buy a Mac, I’m desperate to give them a lot of my money, but they have to give me something reliable and expandable that meets my needs. I’m open to any possibility that works. But I absolutely have to make a decision by June 1 – If I know that what I want is coming a few months later I can work around it, but if it’s all still a dream at that point then I’m jumping ship.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Craig Seeman] “Maybe just that Apple wouldn’t announce before they can actually ship because of what they currently have in the channel. There’s nothing like anticipating a newly announced product to kill sales (what’s left of it) of your current product.”
Great, so lets try to squeeze every last drop out of that rock and hope someone buys it at full price the day before we come out with the upgrade. Nice.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf