Herb Sevush
Forum Replies Created
-
[Ivan Myles] “Apply the Spectral Noise Reduction effect, expand the Custom Setup section, and play the sequence to create a graph. Note the line just below 16kHz in the following example:”
There seem to be other lines, possibly an overtone sequence, at 5, 7, 8, 9 and 11 kHz. Can the Spectral Noise Reduction eliminate them all in one setting, or do you have to go after them one by one?
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Paul Neumann] “I’m starting to forget things.”
If your just starting to forget things your OK, it’s when your finished forgetting that they take you away.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Bill Davis] “For those of you who primarily edit all day, does your company or situation ever allow you to go out in the field to shoot? Do you interact with the writers, or the sound folk, or even the sales reps who are interacting with the actual clients?”
I almost always have a production relationship with what I’m cutting, either as a director, or in years past a producer or production manager. It has always been this way for me, I was never a staff editor in a large facility, probably because the only director that would hire me is me.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
What is possible I was that arrogant and pretentious at that age? Probably. I think it a good thing that I have no record of what I sounded like in my youth. I take it he likes the C500.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Mark Raudonis] “Bill,
Are you F***KNG kidding me???”A sentiment that neatly sums up about a quarter of my posts on this forum since it’s inception.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
Herb Sevush
September 13, 2013 at 9:17 pm in reply to: Final Cut Pro user… considering FCP X… do I upgrade?Tony –
Thanks for the info about Vimeo, I am starting to play around with it and it might have some advantages for some of the stuff i send out.
As to the whole “one click” thing –
Exporting in the background is the great time saver, and as someone still using Legacy I envy you that ability, but it works with or without the “one click” button. I believe PPro has background rendering through a send to AME command and I think Avid has it as well now.
With Legacy I send “pointer” files to an AME watch folder and AME automatically converts it to what I want; not as fast as true background rendering since I still have to wait for the export, but I’m not creating the .h264 in Legacy and because it’s not a self contained video file it doesn’t take too long. AME can also send the file to an FTP site automatically if that suits your client.
Also, on further exploration it seems that the finder in Mountain Lion has a send to Vimeo button, so any NLE that creates a file on Mountain Lion gets this feature.
In addition Vimeo uses Dropbox so that if you export your file from any NLE to the properly setup Dropbox folder Vimeo will upload it automatically.
All in all I really don’t think that the “one click” publish to Vimeo button is something I would be using to sell X with.
But thanks to both you and Bill for getting me looking at Vimeo Pro.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
Herb Sevush
September 13, 2013 at 3:25 pm in reply to: Final Cut Pro user… considering FCP X… do I upgrade?Bill, your making Vimeo Pro sound very attractive. I’ll have to look into it, even without “one click.” Thanks.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
Herb Sevush
September 13, 2013 at 2:47 pm in reply to: Final Cut Pro user… considering FCP X… do I upgrade?[tony west] “One point about the one click Herb, it’s just another example of X simplifying the process.”
[tony west] “Now folks don’t have to know much about compression. They can just click that one button.
Is that a big deal for people who already knew how to get video up there? No. But for some folks it maybe is.”I never use Vimeo or Youtube for posting, my clients want me to send them files directly, so once again X has this great feature that means nothing to me.
In FCP I export with Quicktime Conversion generally using a very specific set of options. Takes me 30 seconds to set up, I checked with a stopwatch. If I do another export today or use one of the default settings it will take 5 seconds. Uploading a file to Vimeo is literally child’s play – children do it all the time. Is a single “click” more convenient – well yes, as long as your using Vimeo. And quite honestly, touting it makes X sound like it’s designed for morons – which it isn’t. But nothing makes it seem more like an iMovie ap than bragging about “one click” publishing to Vimeo. That’s what you get with an iphone ap.
If the market decrees that this is a big deal, I will expect to see it on Avid and PPro real soon. This is not one of Bill’s meta-data enriched features and it doesn’t seem to require a magnetic timeline.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
Herb Sevush
September 12, 2013 at 9:38 pm in reply to: Final Cut Pro user… considering FCP X… do I upgrade?[Bill Davis] “Apple won’t be able to leverage that lead into finishing and distribution? Apple? Really?”
First of all Bill I wasn’t commenting on X, I was commenting on the article. Someone was offering it as an answer to the question “should I or shouldn’t I” and I merely pointed out that the article only covered ingest, hardly the only thing to consider when choosing an NLE. As opposed to that article, there have been many well written posts right here at the cow that covered the question more completely. You might have even written some of them.
As for the rest of your post – many X users often point to a workflow in which they use Legacy to handle various export limitations that X currently has. How is that different than an Avid user devising a workflow starting with X ingest?
X as an ingest tool does not necessarily lead to X as the main editing tool – especially not on features where the division of labor is quite specific.
As for Apple leveraging that situation into something more significant, you have spent the past 2 years claiming that feature film and broadcast editing is a tiny niche and one that is rapidly dying out. Why on earth would Apple care what happens in a market that you have been so deliriously happy they have left behind.
If Apple cared about holding onto that market, one would have thought they would have handled the release differently.
[Bill Davis] “Apple is building a new box perfect for it. And if that box is at all affordable, they can transform yet another industry. “
If by affordable you mean Apple is practically giving them away, then yeah, that would be something.
But assuming that they are not willing to loose money on each sale, then there is nothing about either the Tube or X that is or will transform anything. Both might succeed in their markets, but nothing about them enables users to do anything they can’t already do.This is not 12 years ago when FCP plus DV allowed editors to lower their cost of entry almost tenfold. The cost savings on ingest mentioned in that article, even if accurate, are a drop in the bucket when considered next to the complete post budget of even a small feature. There is at this time no proof of any other cost saving to using X in this market.
Transformative – you’d have to explain that one to me. Unless you think one click posting to Vimeo is transformative. In that they seem to have the market sown up.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Angelo Lorenzo] “Thunderbolt PCI-E (16x lane) expansion card? I’ll buy two immediately.”
The card fits in a 16x slot but you can only get 8x performance over Thunderbolt 2.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf