Forum Replies Created

Page 128 of 315
  • Herb Sevush

    October 23, 2013 at 4:24 pm in reply to: No FCP X announcement?

    [Walter Soyka] “The Mac Pro mini-site quotes 1200 MB/s.”

    Wow, that’s smokin’.

    My raid gets around 900 MB/s. However 1.6 TB is about 10X too small for my needs, which of course would quadruple if I ever went to 4K. Still, that’s amazing.

    OWC has PCIe SSD’s that max out at 880 MB/s, this is 50% faster. I Imagine boot times and program starts would be brisk, to say the least. Definitely fast enough for media, although I’m still old fashioned enough to want to keep media separate from OS for organizational simplicity.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    October 23, 2013 at 3:45 pm in reply to: No FCP X announcement?

    [Walter Soyka] “There may still be good logical or administrative reasons to keep media separate, but moving the media off the internal storage onto external storage will actually be a step backwards in terms of raw performance.”

    Would this be true if you were comparing the single internal drive to an external raid? Would this change if the external raid had 16x PCIe access instead of Tbrd 2?

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    October 23, 2013 at 3:40 pm in reply to: New FCPX confirmed for December

    [Mitch Ives] “more and more it’s the manufacturers pushing each new technology, rather than actual demand.”

    Which gave us quadrophonic sound in the 70’s, 3D, and now 4K. The difference being there is actual technological improvement with shooting in 4K and many applications where it is both useful and cost effective. However I don’t see 4K as a viable distribution or viewing medium for many many years. At the consumer level it is all pure hype – witness the idea of 4K on a smart phone. On the pro production side 4k cameras are cost effective today, but until storage and i/o speed costs drop down to where HD currently is for post I don’t see myself cutting with it. Over sampling is always nice, but nobody wants to pay for it.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    October 23, 2013 at 3:55 am in reply to: New FCPX confirmed for December

    [Mark Raudonis] “In other words, you can get three camera coverage out of a single media file. That’s pretty efficient.”

    I’ve done that sort of stuff for the web, shooting HD. Generally the kind of multicam coverage I shoot would not work this way, I’d rather spend my money on 2 xtra Go Pros and get the angles that I need. I do appreciate the xtra bandwidth of 4K and all that it implies, but I think 4K is way premature for my clients. By the time I’m ready for 4K I’m sure 8K will already be happening.

    As addendum, years ago I made the decision to go all in on DVCPRO HD right after Panasonic unveiled it at NAB. I Convinced the producers I worked with to go HD on a new PBS cooking series. We shot the series with all the attendant problems of working on the cutting edge but it all turned out well and the show was well received. However I didn’t get a call for another HD show for 4 years. The series, Daisy Cooks!, shows up in NYC all the time but never in HD, always in the SD letterboxed version. If I want to see it on HD I play it in my studio. I will never be the first kid on the block again with any new format.

    Nowadays I wait until my clients force me to change, much to the relief of my accountant.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    October 22, 2013 at 10:21 pm in reply to: New FCPX confirmed for December

    [Keith Koby] “Reread my first post for reasoning of why other media professionals care about processing power at price point and maybe it will sink in. “

    OK, I think we have a bit of a communications gap here.

    I wasn’t downplaying the processing power needed to work with 4K, I’m all in for that. I was downplaying the marketing hype of 4K, whether from Apple or at Best Buy.

    I’d rather hear about how fast the Tube can render HD .264 files, or examples of handling complex timeline effects without rendering, or hear about 16 camera multicam in HD uncompressed. I’m aware that 4K assets will get more common as time passes, I might be shooting some 4K for title sequences and promos this year, but I don’t think talking about 3 camera 4K multicam means anything to anybody working in broadcast. Pitching the entire Tube marketing campaign around 4K is rather silly IMHO.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    October 22, 2013 at 9:27 pm in reply to: New FCPX confirmed for December

    [Keith Koby] “Really? If I ever had any respect for the content you post here, it is completely gone now… Sad.”

    Sorry to let you down, but for normal broadcast the overhead of 4K in terms of storage, cost, and system speed is not viable for any production I know of.

    It’s great for spots, it’s great for short form high-end corporate, it’s fine for features, but why on earth would any broadcast show go there? Who is accepting 4K delivery? Who is broadcasting 4K delivery? What percentage of the TV audience will be able to view 4K for the next 5 years (my guess is you’ll be in single digits.)

    It’s nice to be able to pan and zoom on a 4K image, but how about shooting it properly in the first place? And once you pan and zoom then you’re eliminating the possibility of ever broadcasting it 4K.

    So go ahead, explain to me why I should give a damm if my editing system can handle 4K multicam any more than I care if it can handle 3D.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    October 22, 2013 at 7:48 pm in reply to: New FCPX confirmed for December

    [Mark Dobson] “Final Cut Pro X has been so perfectly tuned to take advantage of the new Mac Pro, you can work in 4K — in real time — without rendering. (Take a minute to let that slowly sink in.)”

    I work on half hour cooking shows broadcast on PBS. I’m as interested in working in 4K as I was in 3D. Take a moment for that to sink in.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    October 22, 2013 at 6:31 pm in reply to: No FCP X announcement?

    [Rich Rubasch] “Microsoft Office is going to have to step up in a big way….Office is so bloated and expensive. Blah.”

    It doesn’t matter, Office is the defacto standard and it runs on both OSX and Windows, while Iwork is Mac only. Office ain’t going anywhere.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    October 22, 2013 at 6:29 pm in reply to: New Mac Pro AND a FCP-X shout out. Happy now?

    [Gary Huff] “Not worth getting in my opinion, considering you can’t upgrade anything other than the RAM.”

    I wouldn’t want the base model, but it leads me to believe that at around 4K there might be something I would want.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    October 22, 2013 at 6:25 pm in reply to: New Mac Pro AND a FCP-X shout out. Happy now?

    [Walter Soyka] “Did they mention the specs for the base model?”

    Quad core E5 Xeon, twin AMD firepro 300, 12 gig memory, 256 gig SSD.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

Page 128 of 315

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy