Forum Replies Created

Page 129 of 315
  • Herb Sevush

    October 22, 2013 at 6:13 pm in reply to: New Mac Pro AND a FCP-X shout out. Happy now?

    [Mitch Ives] “Man it was quiet when he said the price. No one clapped…”

    2995 sounds like a lot when everything else is free. Personally I was very impressed with the aggressive pricing.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Andy Branner] “Mmmmh. Sure. Not the least bit unsubstantiated conjecture or a mere reflection of your little world. A world I’m sure is the revolving point of an entire global industry, which makes that claim completely credible sight unseen. We clearly have to take that as pure fact, because… well… because… you’re… hmmm… erm…”

    Dan was quite clear that he was talking anecdotally about his own small section of the industry, a segment he defined quite clearly –

    “The article (Kevin’s) is meant for mercenary broadcast-feature-spot editors who walk into facilities houses.”

    Show me where in his post he claimed that this part of the industry is more important than any other. Apparently your defensiveness is still showing.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Charlie Austin] ” C’mon Herb, you know that X is only useful for home movies, why take the bait? ;-)”

    Lack of sleep, The Red Sox beat the Tigers, and I’m waiting for a long export to render.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Andy Branner] “I see I forgot to mention the rather sad ad hominem, vitriolic attacks that come with the territory also, since actual or real argument instead are few and far between once you hold the mirror up too high. :)”

    There was nothing ad hominem in my post, I merely logically reversed your absurd posting. IF the “cushies” were all that, THEN you, an avowed non-cushie, should be the reverse.

    I don’t know anything about you or your work, I just know that your post would be insulting if I took it seriously. I don’t see how you could expect a more “real” argument starting with the nonsense you posted.

    There are many reasons why editors either like or don’t like any NLE. Those reasons can be logical, emotional, irrational, financial, and or aesthetic. If you want to articulate what your reasons are for working the way you do, I’d be pleased to listen and learn. When you invent strawmen arguments for the purpose of making yourself feel superior, I will be pleased to p*ss all over your postings.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Andy Branner] “Precisely. I don’t know how many times it’s become painfully apparent that (especially the “seasoned”) pros are just plain miffed at nothing other than the fact that Apple had the audacity to take away their elitist status (literally saying “Apple betrayed us”! :D) and NOT continue the trodden path of cushiness they came to enjoy. To dare to (considerably help) make away with the days where being “an editor” meant being a part of a very small crowd with a LOT of money and the time and patience to deal with the amazing technical intricacies that video or even film production posed. 80% of that now gone. The stress of having to keep up and even having gotten as far as they have has resulted in them being freakishly afraid of any further changes. Especially if that invites more people (riffraff) to the party. Make it an entire paradigm shift and you lose them completely and they’re gonna let you know it. And be it through mere personal incredulity. No one left to pat them on the back as much is a real bummer. :D”

    I take it that your not one of those “cushies”, so you must be an unsuccessful editor with no money, no time, no patience and no ability to handle technical intricacies. And we’re supposed to care about your opinion because …

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    October 18, 2013 at 4:26 pm in reply to: Export to ProRes on a PC

    Eric –

    So what’s the workflow – export uncompressed from PPro and then use cinec to create the prores? I wish there was a simple plug-in so the export to prores could all happen within PPro, but then again nobody’s paying much attention to my wishes.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    October 10, 2013 at 9:31 pm in reply to: iChat Theater Replacement for Premiere Pro

    have you tried Skype?

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    October 9, 2013 at 7:55 pm in reply to: Am I old fashion?

    [Charlie Austin] “Absolutely. But I there are also different breeds of Hollywood editors. For feature editors, you are correct.”

    Excuse my provincialism – when I said Hollywood editors I meant feature film editors, whether working in LA, NY, London or anywhere else.

    [Charlie Austin] “For us it’s the explosion or other loud sound hiding the crappy music edit. It’s an adage that’s still in effect. ;-)”

    In my old film editing days, when we were at the client approval stage, we used to stratergize as to who was supposed to cough when a particularly bad audio edit was coming up. For something really bad we might consider knocking over an ashtray.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    October 9, 2013 at 6:03 pm in reply to: Am I old fashion?

    [Charlie Austin] “[Herb Sevush] “Your references seem to be local tv spots.”

    Not that it was your intent, I don’t think it was, but this is a pretty common refrain, evidenced by the “get an IMDB credit” comment above. X hasn’t had it’s Cold Mountain Moment as far as some in “Hollywood” are concerned. “

    I had no intent, I was just making a non judgmental observation about your comments.

    I think Hollywood editors are very conservative for a number of reasons –

    1) operational speed is not essential, they get paid for thinking and organizational skills, not typing or mousing speed.

    2) they have assistants to sweat the technical stuff.

    3) stability and reliability are paramount. If Michael Bay is coming for a screening your sh*t better be working.

    4) Citizen Kane and Chinatown were cut on upright moviolas; obviously talent trumps technology.

    And as I used to say in my days working on industrials – the more story you have the less effects you need. Another adage was – “if the shot sucks, put it in a cube and spin it.”

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    October 9, 2013 at 4:34 pm in reply to: Am I old fashion?

    [Marcus Moore] ” I’ve seen videos in the last year that I wouldn’t have been surprised to see made in the mid-1990s.
    “

    Your references seem to be local tv spots. I don’t doubt you. On the other hand some of the most conservative editors technologically are the a-list Hollywood editors. So I don’t think you can say quality is the dividing line.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

Page 129 of 315

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy