Forum Replies Created

Page 117 of 315
  • Herb Sevush

    December 19, 2013 at 4:27 pm in reply to: Send To Motion?

    [Charlie Austin] “I think this is because there was no mechanism for apps to talk to X. “

    But we’re not talking about 3rd party apps, we’re talking about the guys on the same team, linking software that is already compatible enough so that you can create EFX’s in one to play in the other. I’m sure there is a good technical reason why this has been so difficult to do, but to a luddite like me it “seems” absurd.

    If Adobe created a new version of PPro that couldn’t round trip with AE people would go bananas. I think it’s the fact that Motion isn’t as widely accepted, although I use it all the time, that allows this to be such a non-issue.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    December 19, 2013 at 3:11 pm in reply to: Send To Motion?

    [Steve Connor] “Sadly it’s not. I’m not sure it ever will be!”

    At this point I think FCPX is the only NLE on the market that doesn’t have an easy round-trip relationship with a EFX/GFX program. The fact that you can use Motion to create EFX’s within FCPX but can’t use it in round-trip fashion is utterly bizarre.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    December 18, 2013 at 6:32 pm in reply to: Mac Pro schmack pro – I want my 10.1!

    [Lance Bachelder] “A great update to FCPX is all I’m asking for this Christmas! C’mon Santa, move yer ass!”

    But Lance, the last I remembered you were loving PPro CC. Has the bloom come off that rose?

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [andy lewis] “Multicam in PPro seems a lot less flexible than in FCP7 though. It would be nice if multicam clips behaved like normal clips and you could see multicam angles on tracks other than v1. It’s as if it has been designed for a very limited number of use cases and workflows. “

    Agree completely. The poor implementation of multicam is the single thing that keeps me from committing to PPro. It’s really amazing that with all the examples of the right way to handle this feature (Avid, FCP 7, FCPX) Adobe figured out a way to make something not nearly as good.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    December 16, 2013 at 2:54 pm in reply to: How much will the ‘top-o-the-line’ Mac Pro cost

    [Craig Seeman] “… and then there’s the cost of enclosures for hard drives.”

    Sonnet makes an interesting package with it’s rack-mount PCIe expansion chassis, the Mobile Rack Kit, which allows you to install 3 external hard drives in the same unit as the 3 slot PCIe expansion. Together the package goes for $1200. It’s like the other half of the computer that Apple chose not to include.

    https://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpressiii.html

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    December 15, 2013 at 5:13 pm in reply to: How much will the ‘top-o-the-line’ Mac Pro cost

    [Dennis Radeke] “do you find that a good deal given what is in the marketplace at this time?”

    It starts out looking like a great deal, and it will be for those with no PCIe or additional storage requirements. For those who still require PCIe connectivity, you have to add between $500 – $1200 for Thunderbolt to PCIe expansion boxes, at which point the MacPro is still fairly priced vs PC workstations, but no longer a bargain.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    December 12, 2013 at 7:03 pm in reply to: Avid?

    Keith –

    Thanks for the reply, it just goes to remind me how small my little world is. I know of plenty of FCP Legacy seats for broadcast that are hanging on, but I haven’t heard of anyone switching to anything other than Avid, and the Avid places I know of are not changing at all. Your post has been a little ray of sunlight. I don’t mind being wrong. On the other hand rumors of Avid’s imminent demise are also a bit overblown, 4K or no.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    December 11, 2013 at 9:19 pm in reply to: Avid?

    [Keith Koby] “You have to stop talking out of your arse.”

    Well, yes, I have been doing that. I have been exaggerating to make a point. There are folks still using Legacy for broadcast in NYC, I’m actually one of them. I cut cooking shows distributed by PBS and while I used to do it on discreet edit* I’ve been using FCP Legacy for the last 8 years. But considering the fact that Legacy hasn’t been updated in almost 4 years those still hanging on will be changing sometime soon. And I’m looking for a ray of hope that there is a reason not to go Avid’s way.

    So tell me what do you see, what companies do you know in NYC that are using something other than Avid for broadcast, something that can be purchased someplace other than eBay.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    December 11, 2013 at 2:26 am in reply to: Avid?

    [James Culbertson] “My perspective is that the inroads that FCP legacy made have not vanished, they have diversified. Specifically, AVID isn’t really on the map much where I live anymore… it’s not AVID, none of the time, and less so than it has ever been.”

    Horses for courses. My comments were strictly about broadcast in NYC and LA. The difference between those cities and yours, or any others, is the sheer number of editors here. This has nothing to do with who is “more pro” or makes more money. NY and LA are the largest media producers in the country, and in the broadcast segment it is all Avid.

    Quite simply, if you’re in NYC and your trying to make a living as a freelance editor and you don’t have any experience cutting with Avid, your painting with your eyes closed – it can be done, but I don’t recommend it.

    And someday I will get smart enough to take my own advice.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    December 10, 2013 at 6:02 pm in reply to: Avid?

    [Walter Soyka] “Put another way, will MC be the next FCP7?
    If not, what is Avid’s way forward?”

    Avid is the Microsoft of NLEs – it will not modernize at the expense of cutting itself off from it’s legacy customers. It’s way forward will be by keeping one foot in the past – by adding just enough to keep up with new formats without alienating it’s customer base. How long they can keep doing this is anybodies guess, but I don’t see why it can’t continue.

    This is the value of a “Cold Mountain” moment, some very well respected figure is going to have to demonstrate why it’s safer and more profitable to go with a different technology. If Mark Raudonis, or someone of his stature, publicly switches to XYZ editor, and goes on record for a new workflow, then Avid should start to worry. That’s why the thread about Radical Media was so heated, it’s as if Walter Murch came out and said, “nah, I tried using FCP but it really wasn’t ready, maybe next year.”

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

Page 117 of 315

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy