Forum Replies Created

Page 110 of 315
  • Herb Sevush

    February 19, 2014 at 7:25 pm in reply to: Is FCP X part of your five year business plan?

    [Craig Shamwell] ” bashing the Magnetic Timeline like its something new (when its really not)… is just not fair, when so many use an open editing window with Tricaster and formally Video Toaster for years!!!”

    I knew about but never used the video toaster. Can you describe a bit more how it’s timeline worked, and how it handled information without fixed tracks. I don’t see how the Tricaster is really relevant here, but again, if you think it is a bit more information would be appreciated.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    February 17, 2014 at 4:27 am in reply to: Is FCP X part of your five year business plan?

    [Craig Seeman] “One of two things could happen in that regard. Avid allows MC to wither over time while it works with other NLEs to improve integration. Avid sells Media Composer to someone who wants to add an NLE and has the business model to profit from it. No they wouldn’t kill it immediately, they’d just create a framework so other NLEs can eventually do the same job as MC as far as integration is concerned.”

    Let’s put this another way — why would anyone want Isis who didn’t have other options. If I were looking for a networked storage system for any NLE other than MC, Avid would be the last place I’d go. Their ONLY competitive advantage is the tie-in with MC – other than that they are simply the most expensive option out there, with the worst record for customer service. Without the demand for MC’s sharing capabilities in the large facility niche, Isis is dead. Separating MC from Isis when analyzing Avid is absurd. While it’s true you can use MC without Isis, it is, as you have pointed out, a money loosing situation, but you can’t sell any Isis units without it. The only way they grow Isis sales is by growing MC sales, which is why they will keep developing it.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    February 16, 2014 at 11:40 pm in reply to: Is FCP X part of your five year business plan?

    [Craig Seeman] “I do think it’s important to understand who the “money making” technology is in that relationship.”

    If Avid decided to provide third party networking and media management it wouldn’t surprise me. What would shock me speechless is if it offered those services while killing off MC. At the moment the entire value of Isis is in networking MC stations, the idea that they would kill the goose because they could maybe get more eggs somewhere else does not seem very likely. Less likely, by an order of magnitude, then Apple deciding to shut down Pro Apps.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    February 16, 2014 at 8:19 pm in reply to: Is FCP X part of your five year business plan?

    [Craig Seeman] “Media Composer itself makes very little money for Avid. It has some importance because of its relationship it Unity/Isis . Avid long ago left behind being a predominantly turnkey NLE company.”

    What value does Unity/Isis have outside of it’s relationship
    to Media Composer?

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • [Greg Burke] “.I feel that FCPX is relaying on 3rd party plug-ins to be amazing,”

    Why does it matter how it gets done as long as it gets done.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    February 7, 2014 at 6:25 pm in reply to: Article testing MacPro tube with Resolve

    [Jeremy Garchow] “I also think we have to be realistic. Debayer/Decode/Scale 6k RAW footage is going to take some power.If a Thunderbolted RedRocketX card helps with that, how bad can it be?”

    My curiosity about the 700s was to get an idea of it’s comparative power. I don’t have any need for Dragon footage now or in my near future and I agree that if your have that need, getting a RedRocket card is not to much to expect.

    For my needs I was thinking about ordering the exact model that was tested, 6 core 500D, and I’m just trying to figure out what I would really be giving up by not going for the 700s. A friend once told me that the 3 most expensive words in the English language were “might as well” and I’m trying not to might-as-well myself into more than I really need.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    February 7, 2014 at 5:03 pm in reply to: Article testing MacPro tube with Resolve

    [Jeremy Garchow] “In all seriousness, this little Mac seems to pack quite a little performance punch.”

    Yes, I was very impressed that this test was conducted with the 6 Core twin 500D GPU model. Would love to know what kind of difference the 700s would have with the Red footage.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    February 7, 2014 at 4:47 pm in reply to: Article testing MacPro tube with Resolve

    [Jeremy Garchow] “Relevant takeaway from the article:”

    When I’m not totally disagreeing with you, you do make me laugh.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    February 4, 2014 at 5:56 pm in reply to: And the lightbulb goes on…

    [Steve Connor] “I’m sure lots of people use it, I’ve just never met one”

    Our very own Lance Bachelder is/was a user and proponent of Vegas, which is why it would be good for him to weigh-in here. If you mean you’ve never met one in person, well just sub in “FCPX” for “Vegas” and the same is true for me.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

  • Herb Sevush

    February 4, 2014 at 5:41 pm in reply to: And the lightbulb goes on…

    [Steve Connor] “I would argue that FCPX market share is already considerably higher than Vegas has ever been”

    Which is why, in my previous post to you I said the comparison was “market penetration aside.”

    Now, you can argue that market penetration trumps everything else, which is fair enough, but I still find a similarity between Vegas and X, much like I always found a strong similarity between Motion and X, in terms of how a novel approach to an established workflow can face serious traction issues, even with Apple behind it.

    Herb Sevush
    Zebra Productions
    —————————
    nothin’ attached to nothin’
    “Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf

Page 110 of 315

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy