Herb Sevush
Forum Replies Created
-
Herb Sevush
February 28, 2014 at 11:08 pm in reply to: Not sure how to bring it up exactly…is anyone following the New Mexico photographer and AZ law?[TImothy Auld] “If God forbid a loved one of mine is in the hospital I am granted the right to visit said loved one, not to mention many other rights that I see as just a matter of course but are denied to other couples I know just a few hundred miles away from here.”
Well they can visit, they just can’t act on the patients behalf.
About 30 years ago I had an appendectomy that turned into an infection that turned into a possible embolism that turned into pneumonia – 28 days in the hospital. The woman I had been living with for the past 10 years was allowed to visit me, thank you, but was not allowed any access to the doctors or to receive any medical information. She had to ask my parents what was going on, even though she was there every day. When I got out she laid it on the line, either marry me or next time you go in alone, and that was the story of my first marriage.
Which is why I excepted essentials like health from my laissez faire list. This isn’t about the necessity for making gay marriage legal throughout the world. This is about the fact that you can’t make people nice thru legislation, the courts can’t do it without creating as many problems as they fix; and while it’s painful to see people mistreated you shouldn’t use a hammer to fry an egg.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
Herb Sevush
February 28, 2014 at 9:48 pm in reply to: Not sure how to bring it up exactly…is anyone following the New Mexico photographer and AZ law?[TImothy Auld] “Having grown up seeing so many people I cared about being denied, as you say, flowers, wedding videos, birthday cakes – and basic human rights, I have to disagree with you here.”
The problem is every human interaction consists of two sets of often diverging human rights. In that situation I think it prudent to involve the law only in essential services – equality before the florist will follow if you have equality before the law.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
Herb Sevush
February 28, 2014 at 9:48 pm in reply to: Not sure how to bring it up exactly…is anyone following the New Mexico photographer and AZ law?[Mitch Ives] ” I mean the group that’s causing all these issues are what, less than three percent of the population?”
No, I would guess A*holes come in at around 30% of the population, give or take. What group are you talking about?
[Mitch Ives] ” As it stands, closing your business is the only option available if you find yourself exposed to opportunistic lawsuits”
It’s not the only option, I doubt it’s the best option, but I do realize it is an option, although I personally haven’t come in contact with a single individual or company that has used it. I own a business and this is not the kind of thing that keeps me up late at night. I’m more apt to be worried about volcanos, and I live in NY.
[Mitch Ives] “If I understand your position, we’re just supposed to let the abuse go unchecked?”
That’s the exact sort of thinking that started the trouble in the first place. First you have to understand that both sides are feeling abused, then you have to get over it and stop trying to legislate good behavior. If it’s life and death, yes go call your congressman, if it’s flowers, work it out for yourself.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
Herb Sevush
February 28, 2014 at 8:28 pm in reply to: Not sure how to bring it up exactly…is anyone following the New Mexico photographer and AZ law?[TImothy Auld] “What that businessperson may not do is tell the potential client that she simply will not do the job based only on her belief that the lifestyle of that potential client is goes against her moral view.”
I don’t know about the law here, but as far as I’m concerned anyone not in essential services (food, shelter, health etc.) should be free to be as bigoted as they want and work with whomever they want. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness does not include a “right” to flowers, wedding videos, or birthday cakes. A client-customer relationship is not the same as an employer-employee relationship and should not be held to the same standards. In the latter the employee is at the economic mercy of the employer and needs protection, in the former the customer wields the economic power and, except in essential services, does not need protection. And none of this has anything to do with religious freedom which is what made the AZ law so obnoxious.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
Herb Sevush
February 28, 2014 at 6:45 pm in reply to: Not sure how to bring it up exactly…is anyone following the New Mexico photographer and AZ law?[Mitch Ives] “[Bill Davis] “The AZ statute was designed to elevate the rights of “religious groups” ABOVE the rights of other protected classes, among them, those with a specific sexual orientation.”
That’s a rather subjective opinion. Having read the Law, I didn’t come to that conclusion.”
Not to beat a dead horse …
I can understand the desire to have a law that allows anyone to chose who to serve and who not to serve, who to work for and who to studiously avoid, especially in a non-public, non-essential (meaning not food, clothing, shelter, health or educational)environment. What I can’t understand is using religion as the metric to advance that basic right of self determination. Does this mean catholic florists don’t have to serve lesbians but atheist photographers have to take pictures of republicans? Either individuals have the right to work with whom they chose or they don’t, trying to wrap this issue up with religious rights IS the problem. Freedom of religion has nothing to do with this issue, and hiding behind the first amendment just exposes the bigotry behind the law.
Personally I think those litigating their rights to have pictures taken of their wedding are a*holes of the first order but the stupidity of the justices in New Mexico is not provocation for the creation of even dumber laws in Arizona. Sometimes people just do crazy sh*t and you can’t run around trying to create a new law anytime someone acts like a jerk. Just spit in the food, leave the cap on the lens or send them dead flowers and leave the lawyers out of it.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Paul Neumann] “Makes it real easy to set up an multicam clip of different takes a la FCPX’s Audition feature. “
What makes FCPX’s Audition feature special is that the alternate takes can have different lengths, and the timeline adjusts automatically. Showing different versions of the same length has always been an easy thing to accomplish in most any NLE.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
Herb Sevush
February 27, 2014 at 2:14 pm in reply to: Best disk setup for performance in Premiere Pro[Walter Soyka] “I’d suggest an SSD for the cache, too — it will make a big difference in Ae.”
Walter – is a separate cache drive optimal, or would having it on my high speed media raid work as well?
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Franz Bieberkopf] “Also, I think the word “bated” comes to us from falconry …”
https://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bai1.htm
World Wide Words
Michael Quinion“The correct spelling is actually bated breath but it’s so common these days to see it written as baited breath that there’s every chance that it will soon become the usual form, to the disgust of conservative speakers and the confusion of dictionary writers… Bated here is a contraction of abated through loss of the unstressed first vowel (a process called aphesis); it means “reduced, lessened, lowered in force”. So bated breath refers to a state in which you almost stop breathing as a result of some strong emotion, such as terror or awe…Bated and baited sound the same and we no longer use bated (let alone the verb to bate), outside this one set phrase, which has become an idiom. Confusion is almost inevitable.”
I stand corrected, for now, on bated, although I didn’t see any connection to falconry — but that’s a lovely word and makes me think of one of the great poems of the late great 20th century —
Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity. …The Second Coming
WB YeatsHerb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Jeremy Garchow] “Come back and see us when you can.”
Who mentioned anything about leaving, this is still my favorite pasture at the cow. Kibitzing is in my DNA and I expect to be an annoyance around here for a while yet.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Tim Wilson] “but in fact Telestream Episode Engine, Vantage, and FlipFactory will all get ‘er done – professional, fully supported, painless and fast. “
Damn Tim, just when I thought I had it figured out you go ahead and mess me up with some of your elitist “facts”. Well, while this is good to know, I still think for ease of transition, and ease in my bank account, I will stay with OSX for now. But when the time comes to actually buy a new box, Windows gets consideration again. Nothing worse than facts to screw up a decision.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf