Forum Replies Created

Page 140 of 260
  • Grinner Hester

    March 28, 2009 at 5:41 pm in reply to: Advice on getting paid

    Just remind them you will adding more intrest than they collect on your money.
    Don’t be bashful. Call the boss of the person you were dealing with… his wife if ya have to.
    I’ve never messed with contracts of any kind but one off out of towners don’t balk at half down.
    food for thought for the future.

  • Grinner Hester

    March 28, 2009 at 1:50 pm in reply to: Importing EDL from Media100

    ditto, the CMX3600 edl is your best bet.
    Use no effects, ensure your reel names are 8 characters or less and don’t use more than 4 audio tracks.

  • Grinner Hester

    March 28, 2009 at 1:47 pm in reply to: How to price a beverage company

    When a freelance vidiot does not know what his services are worth, he’s not ready to charge for them yet.
    When a company owner with an overhead is planning an international move but doesn’t know the price points of his own products, man that’s full circle back to good tv.
    Can I bring my camera and piggy back you on this venture?

  • Grinner Hester

    March 27, 2009 at 1:55 pm in reply to: After Effects Training

    Didnt mean to step on toes. I actually saw a solicitation for advice.
    My advice is when an artist takes the initiative, respond to it, otherwise don’t fund their career’s education.

  • Grinner Hester

    March 27, 2009 at 6:11 am in reply to: After Effects Training

    Well maybe pay him while he hits the class of his choice but I’d still have to see initiative before investing in someone elses education. I’d venture to say a young AE artist would not require an official editing school. Ot better yet, scoop one up at half the rate of that editor and let em teach each other some tricks of the trade.
    In my experience, handing folks a new career path has always just given em one.

  • I counted 72 “uh”s
    lol

  • Grinner Hester

    March 27, 2009 at 6:05 am in reply to: Diplomacy in Business

    Luckily, as a business man, I can hide out as an artist.
    It’d be great to have a good cop with more gentle responses sometimes but it’s also fun to actually aswer what is asked sometimes.

  • Grinner Hester

    March 18, 2009 at 3:53 pm in reply to: 180 Degrees Rule

    Any artist who abides by rules is limiting himself and that is not an art at all.
    If rules applied, our clients could simply read them and apply them themselves. Artists adapt to content on the fly, grabbing the best of the best in nano seconds. Should that mean a cutawy opposite the direction of my last shot, so be it. I’d never discard the best shot because a book written in the 50s said it would not be cool.
    Limiting your capabilities will indeed limit your income.
    The only real rules that exist are make it look the best it can, meet the deadline and try to come within budget. Follow those three rules and your golden.

  • Grinner Hester

    March 18, 2009 at 3:47 pm in reply to: After Effects Training

    I wasn’t bashin’ on him so much as pointing out there are oodles of online tutorials out there.
    My thinking is you stand to lose money by training someone who has not taken the initiative to teach themselves a craft. I’d hate to see you write a check, kick him up a notch then he move on to a different place because he’s now marketable.
    If he’s under a non compete, I could see investing but if he’s not, you really stand to lose a good editor in the long run.
    You’ll find oif you hire a young gun AE wiz at half his salary, that’ll light a fire under him quick to stay top dog. Self motivation is a good thing.

  • Grinner Hester

    March 18, 2009 at 3:43 pm in reply to: how to start a news channel

    When starting any new thing, it’s good to have experience with it.
    If you have not worked in news, do it for a while. If you have, maybe it’s time to pitch a news show to a network that knows what gear they need.
    I’d not hop into millions of dollars of debt in hopes that something good comes of it.

Page 140 of 260

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy