Forum Replies Created

Page 138 of 260
  • Grinner Hester

    April 4, 2009 at 4:21 pm in reply to: Client conundrum

    Don’t let their bad hiring change the way you do business. Of course that new hire is very temporary. It’s as easy as explaining you don’t offer training services and let them know you are available for work when they are ready to get things done.

  • Don’t be desperate.
    Go back to 8th grade for a bit. Remember how ya asked out that one girl like 12 times and she always said no? Then ya got that skinny girlfriend and that one girl came a knockin?
    Same thing. Go in requiring it and it’s gonna be a hard sell.
    Now I aint sayin don’t flirt. Just don’t all yell, act a fool and thump her on the head.

  • Grinner Hester

    April 2, 2009 at 11:41 pm in reply to: I’m just so mad!!!

    60k on school and 5k for gear is bass ackwards. Other way around and you’d be ok with a nice edit suite.
    Your schooling does not make you anymore marketable. Just makes you a student and that’ll gat ya intern wages to start off with…same as without the schooling. I’m not saying you waisted that time and money but I can think of better ways to spend both.
    They guys who went to work when you went to school have 4 years on ya. Start small and work up fast, man.
    enjoy.

  • Lead.
    Leading the way will always pave a road for you. Start advertising remote bluray capabilities to ESPN and you’ll have something to do at least once a week. You already know we all have to deversify. BEcause we are all doing it, some of us will have to do it on an extream level. For me, it was letting go of the role of a specialist and advertising myself as a one man band production unit. For others, it will be discarding the jack of all trades title and honing in on a nitch, becoming a specialist.
    Miles vary. The creativity should stay peaked.

  • Grinner Hester

    April 2, 2009 at 2:45 pm in reply to: Cease and desist..from a competitor

    thanks man. Inspired by them, I polished this one into a fine sizzle reel. Episode 2 begins at 20 minutes in, if ya wanna skip to it:
    https://grinnerhester.com/disbeliever.html
    This one has legs, as they say. I dare say it will sell before Moddin’ Art, a show I have more than 20 years in now.

  • Grinner Hester

    April 1, 2009 at 3:06 pm in reply to: LA editors…hourly or day rate?

    My first paying job was by the hour and minimum wage was 3.35 per hour at that time. No raises were ever given at ther local affilates in Lubbock Texas. None. Noting the night time director raked in the most cash because he’d been there for decades, his 6 bucks an hour was not much of a arrot for me so I moved up to that salaried position I told ya about. 18k a year devided by 80 hour weeks, brother…
    at least I didn’t have time to spend money.
    lol
    ahhh the good ole daze. When artists made art because they were artists, not because they were dumb enough to believe the tv shows that showed vidiots makin cizash.
    When I hear a youngan ask “how much money can I make in video?” I think “skys da limit but you aint gonna make any at this.” If passion is the motivator, the bills will simply be paid. If money is the motivator, they make neck-ties so people can pretend to like their jobs in trade for currency.

  • Grinner Hester

    April 1, 2009 at 2:59 pm in reply to: LA editors…hourly or day rate?

    Editors in LA don’t make 450 a week… interns do. While there are lots of editors in LA, there is lots of work too. As stated earlier, $750/day is the middle of the road norm there. Some demand more, some settle for less. Nobody will get in the red to go to work though.

  • Grinner Hester

    April 1, 2009 at 2:56 pm in reply to: Cease and desist..from a competitor

    Thanks, all. I really don’t anticipate hearing from either of them again.
    It’s starting to look like after spending so much time in there, that first crew just was not able to make anything of the footage. I think they have been spending time making things perhaps not as real as what my footage shows and were afraid my footage would make theirs less valuable in some way.
    Whatever the case, I produced 2 episodes in a month where they could not make one episode in 4 months time. That’s no legal issue. That’s envy.
    They should have just called and asked if I freelance.

  • Grinner Hester

    April 1, 2009 at 2:48 pm in reply to: LA editors…hourly or day rate?

    How the heck did you land such a high payin first gig, Bob!?
    My first salaried position was far less than minimum wage after the hours and I brought home a cool $270/week. I had to beat the gold diggers away with a tree branch.
    Just goes to show ya, people will pay for an Einstein hairdoo.

  • Grinner Hester

    March 31, 2009 at 2:59 pm in reply to: Cease and desist..from a competitor

    I’d stil not lawyer up for this one. Sometimes old school really is best. Part of what is wrong with our system is our drone behavior getting in line to waiste more money with stuff like this. When told we have to do something, we often sigh and do it… we learned it from mom and dad. In this case, I’d drive back out to Morse Mill and take a certain drunk marine to dinner, spend 40 bucks and leave having had a pretty good time and warm conversation. That beats the hell out of wearing a tie standing in an ugly expensive building with old white guys watching adults waiste tax payer money so they can squabble over footage shot for fun.
    It’s no wonder we adults make no sense to kids, man. We freakin make no sense.

Page 138 of 260

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy