Forum Replies Created
-
[Ricky Janzen] “I have an AJA ioLA I’ve been using for a few years to convert an s-video source (and 2 channel XLR audio) into an iMac (originally was an old G4, changed to a new iMac this year). “
OK.
there is only one FW port and the Io products take the entire FW bus, by going to an iMac you have created the problem where you may not have enough power to be able to handle your recording.“When I first power on the unit, the composite video lights up, even though the only cable attached is s-video.”
That is the correct power up.“When I open up the capture window in FCP, it switches to the s-video light. It shows the video signal as present on the box and FCP doesn’t come up with any device connectivity errors when it starts, but the preview is disabled and if I try to capture, it fails due to “no video signal present”.”
so you are capturing to a FW drive?
gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, ILhttps://blogs.creativecow.net/24640
https://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php
-
[Niklas Wikman] “Any ideas where I can start look?”
what card are you using.?
if you are using a Kona 3 or LHI you will need to update the firmware on the card manually after installing the drivers.
gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, ILhttps://blogs.creativecow.net/24640
https://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php
-
[Ben Holmes] “Was the footage on CF cards? Have you kept the entire folder structure of each card when it was copies to your drives? “
First open the footage in Red Alert or RedCine and check the footage there, I recommend using RED’s tools for the conversions if you are having any issues as all.
Have you confirmed that you have all of the contents of each card/ drive?
gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, ILhttps://blogs.creativecow.net/24640
https://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php
-
[Emmet Reddy] “My timeline is xdcam footag 720p50 i want toplay this out to a hdcam tape not sr ? i have a sony hdw-s280 recorder? which i just got a loan of yesterday? “
The HDCam format does not support 720 formats Only HDCamSR allows 720p content on tape.
you can cross-convert to 1080 50i and deliver that way, but not 720.
gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, ILhttps://blogs.creativecow.net/24640
https://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php
-
[Martin Phillips] “I am just editing some footage in the above format and I can’t find the Kona LHi setup for this. “
The format for 1080 25 content is actually called 25i by Aja. This is due to the fact that as a video steam it is always delivered as 2 fields per frame (25p is always played back as 50i)
So try the Aja Kona set up for 1080 25i, your content will playback the same as it was shot.
gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, ILhttps://blogs.creativecow.net/24640
https://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php
-
[Matthew Kasey] “I tried your advice and created an entirely new project, with those settings and that seemed to work better. I got video to the hp monitor, but not to the plasma. I’ve been running 23.98 HD footage to both monitors successfully so far (this is an entire system upgrade about 3 weeks in).”
Why are you bouncing between all of these settings, it is a very bad idea.
Chances are you are not clearing the output cache you have to make sure that you are working in one or the other it is not wise to mix 23.98 and 25fps footage together.
gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, ILhttps://blogs.creativecow.net/24640
https://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php
-
[Jeremy Garchow] “I am not sure, but your Matrox card might be conflicting, so pull that out completely.”
I have had this issue in Snow when the driver and firmware for the Compress HD card had not been updated correctly.
I would make sure that both the LHI and the Compress card are running the most current firmware and drivers to be completely compatible.
gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, ILhttps://blogs.creativecow.net/24640
https://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php
-
[Richard Kipnis] “The Ki-Pro seemed like it was recording and time code was moving etc., but there was no media recorded? The device did not respond via the Computer interface or front panel, it seemed to freeze. “
Richard I have never seen this action.The front of the unit will flash when there is any type of media error.
note that if the user was trying to capture something over HDMI- the unit will only accept a Video raster signal that does not have any HDCP encoding.
You sure the unit was set to record from the correct signal path? HDMI, CMPT or SDI need to be switched manually.
was there are forced error, ie:did you override some function in the conversion or input areas.
[Richard Kipnis] “What is the best practice in terms of ensuring error free operation? Any HDD maintenance required?”
gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, ILhttps://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php
-
Gary Adcock
January 11, 2010 at 2:42 pm in reply to: ProRes Question – Best Post Workflow for H.264 from Canon 7D[Trevor Fernando] “And I wanted to know if it was normal that it took 30 minutes for a 1.5GB clip. “
Trevor. Software Conversions take time, they are not based on the size of the file, but how long was your original clip compared to that 30min conversion time.
my guess is was only a little more that 3x the length of your clip. ( about 10 min’s in my guess).
that is not unreasonable for converting via FW drives on a Laptop.
gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, ILhttps://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php
-
[Peter Gruden] ” It does not have genlock input and will only synchronize to selected video source, or to component/RGB Y/G.
“Sorry that is not correct.
The KiPro supports standard genlock function via the HDSDI input signal or via the Component Y connection, no there is not a separate GENLOCK connection, but you can genlock.
You were correct that the KiPro is not a frame synchronizer.
“I’m not sure about delay between in and out. With a 1080i hdmi camera output, downconverted to SD and monitored on analog monitor, delay looks like no more than 2-3 frames to me. “
Aja’s conversions take 1 frame, thought the actual timing for that single frame conversion depends on the frame rate being converted. (more fps = faster timing)
gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, ILhttps://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php