Forum Replies Created
-
[Aaron Pulicano] “Sources that are outputting YUV with 16-235 color ranges?”
Aaron
if you are working in a SMPTE video space, those numbers are correct, as that is what most YUV content is recorded and played back within the SMPTE range.Full range captures can cause issues with some codecs.
gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, ILhttps://blogs.creativecow.net/24640
https://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php
-
[Devin Crane] “It would have been nice if they included both TC and Reference, instead of either or.
“REF is used to maintain a reference black (house sync) to a recording device encase of loss of signal (like with a battery change)
you really want the LTC if you are going to be syncing a multi-cam project.
gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, ILhttps://blogs.creativecow.net/24640
https://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php
-
[Michael Craven] “I need to know if it’s possible to use 1 of the KiPros as my master TC generator and have the others sync to it. We’ll be recording 1080 23.98psf via HDSDI.”
Why would you work this way and not in the more traditional manner of running Clock-it boxes or having your audio guy generate master TC?
My comment is on the workflow, traditionally TC is generated from the camera, but set by the audio person on set so that everything is in sync.
I would check. Otherwise your audio may have different TC than the video.
gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, ILhttps://blogs.creativecow.net/24640
https://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php
-
[don spriggle] “Thank you for your advise Gary, I knew the weight would be allot but i really want the best.”
Then you chose wisely, as yes the KiPro will add to your package, but you will not have any transcode issues and it will give you the best image available.
gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, ILhttps://blogs.creativecow.net/24640
https://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php
-
[don spriggle] “I use a canon XH-A1 camera and I want to move to tapeless recording and i am wondering which one would work best with my camera i usually shoot in hd 1080i. I do alot of outside in the woods shooting”
don,
while this is the Aja forum and I agree that the KiPro is an incredible recorder, due to weight and power limitations you may do better looking at some of the FW based recorders or one of the other companies that use Mpeg2/ Sony EX compression.At over 5 pounds plus multiple AB batteries to keep it powered, your recorder will weight almost as much as your Canon camera and sticks do now. That much of an increase in the weight when outdoors could give your back (or your assistants) a good deal of grief.
gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, ILhttps://blogs.creativecow.net/garyadcock
https://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php
-
Gary Adcock
February 2, 2010 at 2:16 pm in reply to: He video out freezes when playingback material that has an orange render bar[Ian Liuzzi-Fedun] “I am quite insulted by all of these posts. All of these facts I know. I am not new to Final Cut pro nor do I believe I give the impression of such.”
Sorry Ian,
but I felt the questions either did not convey your level of expertise nor did they give a full idea of the issues at hand. You do not mention the Video format or Codec’s you are working in, the software versions you are on, or some of the other pertinent info needed to answer your questions.the is one simple mantra- if you think you are having a hardware issue, you need to tell us about the hardware and software to allow any one to assist.
gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, ILhttps://blogs.creativecow.net/garyadcock
https://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php
-
[Jeff Mack] “Thanks for the 59.94 lesson. Can you explain to me though why I would NOT want to select my frame rate for 1080i60 as 59.94. I still really don’t understand how the selection would affect my footage. “
You can thank Sony for that they still label 1080i60 as 1080i29.97. (the first is fields the second is frames)
IMHO they did that so the could fool the old gray haired TV engineers into thinking that working in HD was going to be no big deal, since it had the same frame rate as NTSC. ( too bad they left out all of the other frame rates they would need to deal with, and a new color space.)
gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, ILhttps://blogs.creativecow.net/garyadcock
https://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php
-
[Jeff Mack] ” I noticed the video didn’t appear a full 29.97. I captured to a MBP to my system drive and had no notice of dropped frames. “
define what you mean by not full 29.97, do you mean full frame raster size or full frame 29.97 frame rate?
have you turned off the Drop Frame warning?
is your timeline RT Setting forcing to show all frames?“n that VTR Exchange dropdown list is a host fo rates including 59.94. Now I thought they are the same with 29.97 being frames per second and 59.94 being fields per second. Why would there be both choices? “
1080 60p is clocked as 59.94 (think stereo pairs at 30 frames per eye) 720p can also be recorded at 59.94p, the various settings allow for compression variations and conversions. You have to remember that VTRx is used across the aja product line so it can handle formats that your LHE cannot.
gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, ILhttps://blogs.creativecow.net/garyadcock
https://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php
-
[Arnie Schlissel] “According to SMPTE, the ITU and other standards setting bodies, there’s no such thing as 720P30 or 720P24. These formats only exist as data formats, so they can’t be played out natively to a video monitor.
“To Follow up on this, no matter what frame rate you shoot all 720p material is delivered as 50p or 60/59.94p.
so you shoot 30p, you get a duplicate frame for every one you shoot.
gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, ILhttps://blogs.creativecow.net/garyadcock
https://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php
-
[keith mottram] “cannot remember whether i can digitise directly at 1080 50p on the kona 3 (am sure max is 720 50p on lhe???)”
Yes Keith, the Kona 3 supports 1080 50p, this are not in the base install, you will need to re-run the installer and install ALL of the options, also please make sure to note that this is a DUAL LINK connection from the D21(Aja does not directly support the T LInk fibre connection on the d21) to the Kona 3 card to achieve 50p / 60p in 1080.
gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, ILhttps://blogs.creativecow.net/garyadcock
https://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php