Floh Peters
Forum Replies Created
-
[Chris Stevens] “Does anyone have an opinion as to which method of downscaling HD to SD gives the best results; camera/VTR or Media 100 (while capturing)? Acquisition format – XDCAM EX 1920×1080 35Mb/s 50i. Post format – Media 100 10 bit uncompressed PAL 601. I’ve heard rumours that the scaler in media 100 does not convert the luma & chroma levels particularly well? Please enlighten me! “
I am not sure about the scalers in the EX camera, but I would bet that the hardware scalers (both in the HDx board as well as in the Aja boards, not sure which one you use) are much better than the camera scalers. If you do a software conform from HD to SD I would expect it to be as good as what the camera is doing, but probably not as good as the hardware scalers on the boards.
-
As far as I know it should work. If not, let us know.
-
Usually the Media 100 support is very responsive; they had to prepare a lot for NAB in the last weeks, so maybe they missed you during this time
Maybe it would help if you tell us what deck you are using. Plus, did you make sure you followed the suggestions for hooking up the cables to your deck?
-
[Lukkee Chong] “I would just digitize from a dvd player but the footage has the record date supered and I would rather not have that in the edit.”
I am not sure why using MPEG streamclip would change anything there.
Are you using NTSC or PAL? For PAL you can use “Export as QuickTime movie”, Codec Media 100 i PAL 720, framesize 720X576, field order Upper Field First. This should fast import into Media 100 i (actually I haven´t tried it with Media 100 i in the last couple of years). There you have to treat it as 16X9 if the DVD is anamorphic.
For NTSC the settings should be somewhat similar, although I am not sure about the 720×480 to 720X486 conversion.
It would be easier if you would be using Media 100 HD or Producer, since you would be able to export NTSC clips into e.g. DV codec and keep the framesize, without the need to convert 480 to 486. Most likely this is the point where you are introducing field order issues. -
Hi Kieran,
I have never seen something like the effect you are describing. I tried it with several layers of Composition clips stacked one over another, and I could not see any degradation when rendering into Media 100 i codec (nor when rendering into e.g. ProRes). My test was done in V12.1.3 with the latest version of RED.
-
Probably because you set the system to output video and audio via FireWire. Older versions of Producer only were able to output sound either via FireWire or via the Internal Out due to timing issues. So if the system was set to output via FireWire it is possible that you don´t get audio out on the Internal Line OUt or speakers.
-
Floh Peters
April 22, 2008 at 6:19 am in reply to: not a batch timeline export capability, is there?What do you want to export? There is a “batch export all clips from bin” script included, and of course it can be modified to export e.g. all bins or timelines.
-
Try to delete your preferences (in the YourHomeFolder->Library->Preferences->Media 100, the “Current Configuration” file). It sounds like you have corrupted your prefs.
-
The Media 100 HDx card is PCI-X; so you definitely have an AGP/PCI-X system. This means you need an AGP card. The newer PCI-Express based systems do only work with Aja cards.
-
What G5 system are you using? PCI-X or PCI Express? There were 2 different G5 2*2.5GHz systems, one with PCI-X and one with PCI express, so you should find out which one you have to be able to buy the correct graphics card for your computer.
Why are you looking into buying a new card? Special software you want to use, like Motion? Media 100 has no special demands on the graphics card, and I would not expect problems with any card that works in the computer, so if you have a card that is recommended by whatever software you want to use it should be fine with Media 100.