Floh Peters
Forum Replies Created
-
[Chris Abolt] “Floh, I should also mention we are running leopard on this machine. Also, I need some clarification on a few things. Are you suggesting a dual boot system with FCP on one side of the partition and Media100 the other? Does this mean I need to install the other (AE, PSD Ill) apps on both sides of the partition? Or is it as simple as partitioning the system drive so both NLE’S can reside without seeing each others drivers.”
Leopard is fine, both for FCP and for Media 100.
The dual-boot option (either via 2 partitions on the same drive or by 2 different drives) is needed to keep the drivers apart. What we usually do is to set up one partition first (e.g. the Media 100 partition), with all software including FCP and the whole Adobe stuff. Then we do activate all apps and make sure everything is registered correctly. Then we do a clone via Carbon Copy Cloner to the second drive, and install the Aja Kona drivers there. They will automatically replace the Aja OEM drivers used by Media 100, and all your activations will stay intact. This way you have all your software on both partitions, and additionally you also have a backup drive in case one of your drives goes bad. You could simply clone back from the other drive and install the missing drivers (either reinstall Media 100 or the Aja Kona drivers). -
Put the FibreChannel card into Slot 4, the Kona into Slot 3. You should create different startup partitions for Media 100 and FCP, since the FCP and Media 100 Kona drivers currently cannot be installed at the same time. Otherwise it is pretty straightforward. If you have specific questions, let us know.
-
Floh Peters
May 9, 2008 at 1:46 pm in reply to: Playing Media 100 QT files on new Mac w/out Media 100 CodecLook under Media 100 V12+. There is the Codecs download.
-
Floh Peters
May 9, 2008 at 6:17 am in reply to: Playing Media 100 QT files on new Mac w/out Media 100 CodecYou don´t need the Media 100 application, but you need the Media100 quicktime codecs to play back the files. They can be found as a free download on the Media100 website.
-
The question is what you really need feature-wise, and what money you want to spend. I guess if you got the HDx card used 1.5 years ago you most likely won´t have a current encryption code/software license for it. So you would (at least I would heavily recommend) upgrading to V12.5 anyway.
Then you need to get a new computer. The HDx boards will only work in all but the latest revision of PowerMac G5 systems (all G5 systems that had PCI-X slots; be aware that there was a “small” G5 configuration that had no PCI-X but older “regular” PCI-slots which are not compatible with the HDx board; plus the latest revision of G5s was moved to PCI Express, which is also incompatible with HDx). You most likely will be able to get a used PowerMac G5 on e.g. eBay cheaper than the current MacPros, but you will be at least 3 revisions behind the current CPU line (2nd (or even 3rd, depending on how you count it) revision of MacPros out there, plus the latest rev of G5 Macs which does not work with HDx). So while you will save some money there you will “only” get a system that has 2*2.5GHz max. While this sounds impressive and is quite fast for SD work, you will run into trouble if you e.g. want to work with HDV sources due to the CPU power needed for transcoding.
So while I think the HDx hardware is still an excellent solution and I would not see a urging need to upgrade a HDx system to Aja if you don´t need the extra CPU power e.g. for HDV support or a lot of rendering, I currently only would recommend getting a new G5 Mac if you really need to get this together cheap. Everything you put into this system (RAM, SATA- or SCSI-cards,…) is already older generation stuff and cannot be used anymore if you want to upgrade to an Intel Mac later. So if you have the money I would recommend getting the “smallest” (8*2.8GHz) MacPro with the standard graphics card, which is more than sufficient for most of Media 100s needs. And think about if you really need a Kona3 card, or if a LHe could be enough also. The LHe is missing some features (SD 4:3<->16:9 realtime cross conversion, HD 720<->1080 cross conversion, theoretical 2k and dual-link SDI support, SD to HD upconversion), but has some features the Kona3 card has not (HD/SD Component in, analog XLR audio out). So I guess for most users a LHe board is the more efficient choice. -
You should decide to install one partition first (e.g. the Media 100 partition). Then install and activate all software, including Adobe and Apple stuff. Now clone the partition with Carbon Copy Cloner to the other partition, and your activations should get carried over.
-
[Michael Slowe] “Am I now to understand that the new version 12.5 will take HD with embedded audio through SDI or will I need the new Intel G5?”
The HDx boards are PPC only, and they take only embedded audio via SD-SDI. If you need HD-SDI with embedded audio you either need an Aja PCI-X board for your G5 or an Aja PCI Express board for the last series of G5s or for the MacPros.
-
[David Issko] “Since downloading & installing 12.5.1 HD Suite on my HDe, after capturing HD/SD SDI pics with embedded audio, I have clips that have around 6 frame audio delay.
“What format (resolution and framerate) are you seeing this problem with, and what input are you using? I´ve tried PAL 625 and 1080, and it seems good at least on Kona3 systems; I will try it on LHe next.
-
[John Twigt] “Haven’t been around the COW recently but is there any prospect of the P2 720native support? It would mean a great advantage to our P2 shooting, because it will double our capacity of the P2 cards. And while i am at it, what about AVC-intra ? Will it be available soon? Is it something developers are working on? As a panasonic_P2/M100 based company these developments are crucial to our workflow. I noticed that media100 developers are active on these forums, so I’m wondering if there’s anything new on the horizon?
“Um, which format do you actually shoot in? As far as I know the “regular” 720p/29.97 (or whatever) is supported in Media 100. If you want you can post a short test clip somewhere and I will take a look if it works. Or get the trial version of Producer and test it for yourself. I think the 24PN is currently not supported, but most other formats (including 720p) should be okay.
-
This could be related to a media file problem. Try unmounting your media drives (or turn off the auto relink media in a new project), and open the timeline then. Does it show up? Then you have a bad media file somewhere.
Otherwise the access privilege” problem could be related to either the folder where your timeline is in (try copying it to the desktop) or your general permissions. Try running DiskUtility and check your drives and repair the permissions.