Forum Replies Created

Page 1164 of 1228
  • Well Arnie, ya can’t have it all…

  • David Roth weiss

    March 8, 2006 at 9:07 pm in reply to: [OT] idea for RAID

    Walter,

    Clearly many don’t require redundancy. Its your inability to recognize that single fact that has turned a simple thread into a long one.

    DRW

  • David Roth weiss

    March 8, 2006 at 5:50 pm in reply to: [OT] idea for RAID

    [walter biscardi] “It really doesn’t matter how accurate your NLE is, if your drives fail at the wrong time, then recapturing is really not an option if you want to keep your clients. For instance I did a 3 hour DVD project two years ago with over 25 hours of digitized material and 500 photographs. Not exactly an easy project to bring back with any NLE and certainly would have resulted in a lost client if the media array failed as the deadline approached.”

    Walter,

    Despite your implication to the contrary, I’ve never argued that expensive pre-configured raids are bad for those who require them. Clearly there are people and facilities and situations requiring mission critical hard drive subsystems with redundancy, and believe me, there are wonderful companies out there who are willing and able to help you spend any amount of money you want to throw at those solutions. However, I would maintain that many/most on the FCP Forum don’t require a $3000 – $5000 (and up) solution when an intelligently configured $1000 solution will do.

    Its very easy to argue that a high-cost solution to a problem works better, but that doesn’t make it the best solution. Lamborginis are terrific, but there are many people in this world driving Volkswagons who get where they want to go.

    DRW

  • David Roth weiss

    March 8, 2006 at 4:15 pm in reply to: [OT] idea for RAID

    [John Calhoun] “Are you saying you should spend the extra money for good drives, redundant power supplies, etc., but not spend a few extra bucks for a RAID 3 controller?”

    No, I’m not. I’m saying that a $1000 raid built with good components will provide excellent service for many FCP users.

    DRW

  • David Roth weiss

    March 8, 2006 at 5:28 am in reply to: At-home Disc Replication

    Bob,

    You’ve simply got to have a slow hand and a gentle touch. Just stick the tip in and the rest will take care of itself.

    I’ve run about 1200 DVDs though my R200 withhout a hitch so far, but of course you warned me about the fragile nature of the Epson disc tray before I started, so I’ve been very careful all along.

    DRW

  • David Roth weiss

    March 8, 2006 at 3:34 am in reply to: Apple’s FCP Upgrade Offer – any gotchas?

    So, the key is, clone you system drive before sending off your discs. And, keep it in a very safe place. Of course, one should always have a clone of one’s system disc stored away in a safe place.

    DRW

  • Hal,

    The million dollar tip is coming up, better whip out that checkbook… You’ll remember me every time you edit on FCP from this point forward…

    When you drag, check out the little arrow that appears on the timeline. When you drag to a point high up on the timeline, the arrow points to the right — that’s an insert edit, which will move eveything down. When you drag to a point a bit lower, the arrow points down, and that’s an overwrite edit, which doesn’t move anything.

    Send that check soon please…

    DRW

  • David Roth weiss

    March 8, 2006 at 3:22 am in reply to: [OT] idea for RAID

    [John Calhoun] “I guess you would have to decide how critical your content on your drives is.”

    John,

    I keep hearing this argument over and over again, and I really find it quite interesting, as it is undoubtedly of more concern to FCP users than it should be, and of more concern with FCP than it is on many other NLEs.

    Having migrated to FCP from Discreet Edit, a NLE which manages media with virtually 100% precision, I have worked without fear of losing anything for many, many years. So long as you have a backup of your job (project file), Discreet is so accurate that a complete recapture is foolproof, including slow-mos, still frames, motion efx, etc. Unfortunately, recapturing inside FCP isn’t so worry-free. Apple to needs to get that sorted out sooner rather than later.

    Since my gear is still realtively new I have little concern at this point. And, since I can swap out 1-terrabyte for about $500 total, I can put fresh drives in once a year. Try that with your preconfigured models…

    DRW

  • David Roth weiss

    March 8, 2006 at 12:06 am in reply to: chewed mini dv tape

    Believe it or not, Scotch tape works quite well in a jam until you can dub to another tape.

  • David Roth weiss

    March 7, 2006 at 6:03 pm in reply to: [OT] idea for RAID

    [Bob Cole] “David, how do you tell enterprise-level drives from consumer — is it just a matter of the warranty?”

    Bob,

    The answer is, the companies that manufacture them build them to a certain quality level and certify them as enterprise-level. They are thereby qualified for service in enterprise-level servers and considered to be pretty much “mission-critical.” The fact that they are certified makes them insurable. So, if you have hundreds of them in a tremendous enterprise-level server, insurance companies know that the odds are incredibly low that enough will fail at any given time to cause data loss. So, they will insure the company in the event of a catastrophic failure that would bring down the computer.

    More importantly, the Maxline drives that I keep telling everyone about, are indeed the lease expensive enterprise-level drives available, and yet they have been tested by several reliable organizations and found to be the absolute fastest SATA 7200 RPM drives available. Check out the following article https://www.amug.org/amug-web/html/amug/reviews/articles/seagate16/ There are those here at the Cow who tout Seagate and Hitachi, but I have a hard time seeing how those drives deliver any advantage. Best price and best performance kinda makes Maxline III a cinch for me.

    DRW

Page 1164 of 1228

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy