Forum Replies Created
-
David Roth weiss
April 25, 2006 at 3:43 pm in reply to: 1 frame variation in capture from HDV…comments?Bob,
Keep in mind, with HDV there is no such thing as an actual “frame.” Because of its 15 frame GOP structure, HDV is not (at this time at least) 100% frame accurate. HDV records metadata that is translated into 15 frames of video, and each time this translation occurs there are minor variations. I believe I read in the technical specs that HDV has average accuracy of plus or minus one to three frames.
DRW
-
Aaron,
The words edit and editor each have just one “d”.
-
[frankpledge] “you would need/want that media drive on a seperate bus – meaning the g5 abroad would need an additional FW card installed.”
Frank,
You would think that would be the case, but in reality its not. In thge situation I mentioned we had no problems whatsoever.
DRW
-
Lanzi,
All the other guys here are essentially right, however, I have achieved success doing exactly what you want to do.
A client of mine had a G4 and FCP 4 on their premises, when they received a partially edited FCP 5 project with all media on a firewire drive from their client. Of course they could not edit the FCP 5 job on their FCP 4 system, so they asked me what to do. Though I was pretty certain it would not work, I nonetheless brought a clone of my G5 system drive in a firewire enclosure with FCP 5 installed and just booted it up. Amazingly, it worked perfectly, and FCP worked too, and so we were able to edit the entire project. So, if a G5 system drive can boot and run FCP 5 on a G4, I would imagine that it would most certainly work on a G5.
DRW
-
David Roth weiss
April 22, 2006 at 6:05 am in reply to: Mactel Version of Photoshop Coming Next Year[walter biscardi] “For video editors, I really don’t think you need to completely switch over to the Windows version of photoshop to run on an Intel Mac. i’m certainly not going to do that.”
Walter,
Is it really a Windows version, or is it a universal version? If its universal, why can’t it just be one or the other rather than both? This is a bit confusing?
DRW
-
David Roth weiss
April 21, 2006 at 5:26 pm in reply to: Capturing Uncompressed Footage (Beta or higher)Bret,
Just for the record… There was a time when everyone used to think 1″ was terrific, but believe it or not, its a composite video format. Today, when I look at my 1″ masters, which in their day were as good as you get, they really suck. The limitations of NTSC composite video are just so great that even the best sources look noisy and degraded when compared with modern component and digital video.
DRW
-
David Roth weiss
April 21, 2006 at 12:51 am in reply to: Capturing Uncompressed Footage (Beta or higher)[Graeme Nattress] “You can hack the RT enabler and make it work, but we shouldn’t have to!”
Graeme,
I’ll bet this and Media Mangler both work in the rumoured Final Cut Extreme, for the rumoured price of $10,000.
At least they had better work…
DRW
-
David Roth weiss
April 20, 2006 at 11:42 pm in reply to: Capturing Uncompressed Footage (Beta or higher)Graeme,
Although I’ve been using 8-bit or 10-bit uncompressed for a long time, many recent posts have convinced me that QT Photo JPEG at 75% is considered my many now as the best and most efficient choice of codecs to use in a sitiuation such as the one Bob has now brought up for discussion. What’s your feeling?
David
-
The BM SP card is also a good choice, but if you ever intend to output to DigiBeta or some other SDI equipped deck, the Extreme gives you that capability too.
-
David Roth weiss
April 20, 2006 at 4:21 pm in reply to: Hoping for quick reply – SDI to composite questionUh Nick,
Check out the desription of the BM Extreme below from the Blackmagic website. Notice anything conspicously missing from the description, like perhaps any mention of Y/C? That’s because it has no Y/C i/o, as I mentioned in my previous response to Greg.
“DeckLink Extreme is the ultimate standard definition card, because it combines the analog component YUV/NTSC/PAL switchable video and analog XLR audio in and out, along with digital 10 bit SDI inputs and outputs. Also included is unbalanced AES output, genlock input and RS-422 deck control. All connections are on a long 2 meter, 7 foot break out cable. Now available in standard PCI-33/66 or PCI Express models.”
DRW