Forum Replies Created

Page 1131 of 1228
  • David Roth weiss

    July 18, 2006 at 4:36 pm in reply to: HDV timeline to 4:2:2 DigiBeta

    [David Roth Weiss] “since you have no BM or Kona card”

    …or, as I left out, a Digibeta deck…

  • David Roth weiss

    July 18, 2006 at 4:09 pm in reply to: HDV timeline to 4:2:2 DigiBeta

    Because the fellow is asking you to output to Digibeta he mus be running your project through a hardware encoder. Thats just fine, good hardware encoders are fast (realtime) and do a spiffy job. However, outputting to Digibeta first is an extra step that in your case, since you have no BM or Kona card, will be time consuming, somewhat expensive, and, because you’ve not done this before, possibly prone to introducing technical error. I would suggest that you reconsider this workflow and either encode yourself using Compressor, or ask him to to do it for you from a file that you deliver on a hard drive.

    DRW

  • David Roth weiss

    July 18, 2006 at 3:48 pm in reply to: audio speed change

    Certainly, speed changes affect pitch. But, its a matter of how much you’re changing the speed. Going from NTSC (30fps) to PAL (25fps) for instance is barely noticeable by those with trained ears.

  • From a review on the Lacie site:

    One interesting option I noticed was the disk format menu (Figure 4). By default, the mini’s internal disk is formatted in a least-common-denominator format of FAT32 so it can be directly accessed when USB-plugged into a Windows, Macintosh, or Linux system. But one downside to FAT32 is a file size limitation of 2GB.

    To get around this limitation, the mini allows you to reformat the disk with a Linux ext3 filesystem that supports larger files, albeit with reduced portability. For example, if you format the drive with ext3, you will no longer be able to use the mini as a USB external drive under Windows or Macintosh. It will still be usable as a network drive under all systems, you just won’t be able to directly plug it into the USB port of a Windows or Macintosh system. While this isn’t ideal, it at least gives options to users who need support for files over 2 GB.

  • Walter,

    But what is the format on an Ethernet drive??? Do you know? Do you know if an Ethernet drive can be reformated as a MAC drive? These are the issues Martin brought up.

    DRW

  • Todd,

    What is the throughput on your ethernet drive? My guess is that the speed of that drive isn’t close to being good enough to for video capture. Ethernet drives, like USB drives are not meant as media drives. Perhaps playback works fine, but for capture, I don’t think so…

    DRW

  • David Roth weiss

    July 16, 2006 at 8:14 pm in reply to: FCP vs. Smoke

    [jamie] “typical high end editor like Smoke”

    Smoke is not really a typical “editor,” its a finishing system. You would find it a most difficult system to actually cut on, as in offlining a story. It does have very impresive realtime color correction, compositing and keying features that it inherited from its bigger brothers Fire, Flame and Inferno.

    Smoke was originally pure Unix, running on the SGI platform, and it was not burdened by the huge overhead of a big OS designed as a Swiss Army Knife, so it was originally incredibly powerful and incredbly fast, much faster than anything on an ordinary computer, and it could handle 10-bit uncompressed and HD long before PCs and MACs could. However, now that processor speed and dual core technology has made all computers very powerful and very fast, and since Smoke has been ported to Linux and Windows, its speed and power are no longer nearly as impressive. Its getting awfully hard to justify the price these days. As the others have said, the output of the high end cards these days (both Kona and BM) is as good as you can get, so this makes FCP a real steal.

    DRW

  • David Roth weiss

    July 15, 2006 at 5:51 pm in reply to: slowing 29.97 Hz audio down to 23.976 Hz???

    Hey there Herb!!! Well, my friend, good to see at least one of us isn’t senile. My brain was so fried at 12:30 in the morning that even my pocket calulator was beyond my level of comprehension. I swear, I whipped it out to do the math and I couldn’t figure out how to add the percentage of the slow down. Sound Forge works in reverse because the plugin it uses, aptly named “Time Stretch,” which, as you might guess, requires one to calculate the increased running time rather than the percentage of the slow down. I simply was not able to get my brain in gear to handle it at that hour…

  • David Roth weiss

    July 15, 2006 at 3:23 pm in reply to: slowing 29.97 Hz audio down to 23.976 Hz???

    Steven,

    Thanks!!! After sixteen hours in the edit bay yesterday I couldn’t think straight any more. As you guessed, I am in fact slowing down audio to sync up with film — its from a project I engineered 20 years ago. Original split tracks are on 35 full coat, which I had xfered at 24fps, but of course now I can’t find that, and so I’m trying to sync the audio ripped from my DVD at 30fps (29.97). I’m sure you get the picture…

    DRW

  • David Roth weiss

    July 14, 2006 at 5:34 pm in reply to: FCP export to self contained shows artifacts

    Oops, I just reread that you said they were captured clean. Looks like a pipeline issue possibly. Have you checked the throughput on your xsan lately?

Page 1131 of 1228

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy