Forum Replies Created
-
The camera makes no difference. The “handshake” you describe is in how FCP deals with P2 media cards and getting the “content” (which is any of the DV/DVCPRO codecs into FCP for use with the editing software. FCP 5.0.4 has put in an IMPORT FROM P2 media feature that will allow you to bring in teh media right from the card.
As I stated. The actual media that a P2 card records is DVCPRO, DVCPRO50, DVCPRO100/HD. These codecs have been in use for quite a while with FCP/KONA setups so there is no real change except that you are not getting your media from Tape Deck, you are getting it from a solid state media card.
David
I can’t believe it’s not butter!
-
And who really knows by then what new things will have hit the market that will be a solution that makes more sense and we will probably have seen the HVX200A, B &C by then too.
David
I can’t believe it’s not butter!
-
This is not the first time that PC’s have affected an industry. The first wave of desktop publishing produced all of the exact same arguements being presented here. The next was Photographers who said that digital photoraphy would ruin the craft. Then audio professionals freaked out when people were setting up Protools rooms at home and making number one albums. (MOBY and many before and after him.
I agree that standards need to be set, but the fact is that there were movies at sundance last year cut on iMovie. This is not a wave or trend that is just going to stop. The profesionalism will come in the quality of the work and the price of services. There were bigger problems before because the business excluded people just on the basis of Price point of equipment. That put equipment only in the hands of people who could afford it, which made the programming much more narrow. More people in the business means MORE business not less business. It’s just a time to evaluate and adjust and to be flexible enough to change. There can be compromise with quality.
David
I can’t believe it’s not butter!
-
Jim,
I would use this:
But the monitor has to do 1920×1080 resolution and check re: framerates because not all of them will display 23.98 framerates. NOt much use for that in consumerland.
David
I can’t believe it’s not butter!
-
I use the following
10 Bit uncompressed 27MB/sec
8 Bit uncompressed 21MB/sec
DVCPRO 50 7mb/sec
DV 3.8mb/secThese are the most efficient codecs for use with FInal Cut Pro. They are also optimized for use with the FCP RT engine.
You can Use offline RT if you have Many hours of material, but even on large docs I just use DV and firewire drives because it looks good and storage is so cheap.
David
I can’t believe it’s not butter!
-
Toke,
I fail to understand the reasoning in your post. Why is the Cineporter more interesting than a Firestore? The capacity is the same and they will both record directly from the camera which is only capable of putting out a MAX 1080 DCVPRO HD codec, so I really fail to see your point or why the cineporter is a more interesting solution to a Firestore.
David
I can’t believe it’s not butter!
-
Bob,
Are you sending DVI signals to these monitors or are you sending Component signals looped off the K-BOX. I can tell you that an HD-SDi signal converted to DVI is MUCH cleaner and the SD picture will reflect that as well. The Component HD signal off of the K-box is no where near as clean as the signal coming off the HD-SDI witha DVI converter to the set.
I have seen this first hand one one of the more expenseive (Sharp Aquos 9K, true 1920×1080 screens) Thats a pixel for pixel of what is in your machine, everything else is subject to so much “enhancement” that you get a kaliedescope od color. The problem with LCD’s is the blacks and the “new” HD stardards are many.
Just about any monitor can be tweaked to be a close facimile to a CRT, but I think we still need the CRT’s.
David
I can’t believe it’s not butter!
-
It is a metter of time. New laptops won’t run FCP yet either but will you want to be lugging around an older Ti book in a year or so when there are new ones running faster versions of FCP.
P2 is already only “good” on onlder laptops. The firestores will make much more sense per GIG withing months unless P2 has a suden and miraculous price drop.
The new card slots will not accept existing P2 media. I am not trying to rain on the Panasonic parade, but just months ago they were the ones telling everyone to bring a laptop to every shoot. They should stop introducing products that end in the number 2.
I think the last one (you know, the big betacam killer) was M2.
David
I can’t believe it’s not butter!
-
I just use Mpeg streamclip to do this.
Open the VOB and export to whatever codec you want.
David
I can’t believe it’s not butter!
-
Sorry,
I was speaking inthe context of exactly what is offered by Panasonic and not third party solutions such as the Firestore whos product will be arriving sometime later this year.
These firestore devices will make much more sense than P2 medi which is already no longer being supported in major laptop manufacturing and you could buy a ONE firestores for the price of ONE P2 card.
The firestore has ten times the capacity of a P2 media card.
David
I can’t believe it’s not butter!