Forum Replies Created

Page 162 of 235
  • [Ray Wang] “Tim the benevolent ruler?”

    Benevolent?!? I will not tolerate this kind of character assassination! I have NEVER been called benevolent. I am not now, nor will I ever be. I’m appalled. This is the kind of personal attack that people are getting tired of.

    Benevolent. Hmph. I am so not benevolent. The nerve of some people! Next you’re probably going to say my hairline is receding.

    Tim Wilson
    Creative COW

  • Tim Wilson

    August 31, 2011 at 5:15 pm in reply to: Whatever happened to the FCPX rants forum

    [Alan Lacey] ” I guess I’d be less amused however if my livelyhood depended solely on Apple’s media software.”

    That’s a big reason why things have sometimes gotten so heated over there. I think there’s a large people for whom career paths have veered all over the place, but Apple has been the one constant in their lives, their rock. The noise over there is the sound of their foundations being ripped from underneath them.

    That’s also why things have gotten so interesting over there. I really enjoy the wide-ranging discussions on what it means to be a professional in this business today, and where it is all going.

    As a result, that forum will probably never go away, although I think the next name for it will reflect the industry-wide, not FCPX-specific nature of how the conversation is changing.

    Tim Wilson
    Creative COW

  • Tim Wilson

    August 30, 2011 at 12:46 pm in reply to: Third Party Apps

    [Oliver Peters] “A lot of people have posted free effects that function as presets in Motion 5 and therefore FCP X.”

    For some examples, check the FCPX Techniques forum here at the COW.

  • Avid has been pitching to Final Cut Pro User Groups for several years, since I, uhm, started doing this with the first release of Media Composer software in 2006.

    (Disclosure: I worked for Avid for 3 years before coming to the COW, and my role in the Media Composer software release remains a proud moment.)

    It seemed obvious at the time. A lot of current FCP users are former Avid editors, or people editing in a mixed FCP-Avid environment. Unencumbered software was old news for FCP of course, but genuinely new news for Avid.

    It was also an opportunity to underscore that there are some good reasons why people still use Media Composer, and that, especially at this price, it was silly not to have it in your bag of tricks.

    I invariably got very positive reactions, at least because I was a known FCP guy. Working for Boris FX at the time, I had been going to these same FCP user groups since the beginning (including the 3rd ever meeting of LAFCPUG in 2000 and the first ever of meetings of FCP groups in Boston and New York a couple of years later), and had no interest in even hinting at disrespect. The goal wasn’t to get people to stop using FCP. It was simply to have them add Media Composer to their bag of tricks.

    The reaction I invariably got was, “Wow, I had no idea it could do that. When is Apple going to add this to Final Cut Pro?” I smiled and suggested they ask Apple.

    Five years later, and the environment is a little different. I guarantee that the Avid folks will still be nothing but respectful…and that the big question from the audience will NOT be, “When is Apple going to add this to FCP?”

  • [Chris Harlan] ” then, as you say, Get was gone.
    Did you try it at all?”

    Nexedia technology also powers Avid PhraseFind, and long before that, ScriptSync. So while I never used Get, I used the two Avid implementations, and I swear it looks like the darkest of magics. You will be amazed, and just a little frightened.

    Having worked for Boris for several years, I can say that a combination of amazement and a little fear is just about right. 🙂

    Kidding, Boris!

    But definitely worth downloading the trial version.

  • Tim Wilson

    August 24, 2011 at 1:12 pm in reply to: Complicated means Pro : Simplified is Dumb/Amateurish

    [Gary Pollard] “I was a newbie, and so was everyone else on this board.”

    And if you’re doing it right, you’re ALWAYS a newbie about something.

    I wrote a piece for Creative COW Magazine a little while back, called Hello. My name is Tim. I am a Newbie.

    Worth another read, if I say so myself.

  • Tim Wilson

    August 24, 2011 at 12:10 pm in reply to: Complicated means Pro : Simplified is Dumb/Amateurish

    [Gerald Baria] “”If you’re talking about HP, I’m not sure you understand what really happened… HP is spinning off it’s consumer PC business. ”

    Actually I completely understand, as I mentioned I have this little obsession with gadget news.:) It was mentioned in their earnings call that the ” Tablet effect is real” and they are feeling it….

    But they’re not feeling it in their workstation business. They have a bigger share of workstation sales than anyone on the the planet, and it’s growing.

    They are feeling the heat in their gadget and consumer business, not the pro workstations. which is why they’re spinning it off. No need to let the losses in that area get in the way of their growing profits at the high end: beefy hardware, with wall-to-wall support, and a whole division of the company exclusively focused on meeting the needs of film and TV production professionals who can afford $5K+ machines.

    Running Windows of course, but plenty of Mac pros are using Windows boxes for things like SCRATCH, digital cinema packages, etc….aside from the large market of creative pros using Windows. My point being that HP has a play in this market, and is MAKING that play in a bigger and bigger way — not a smaller and smaller one.

    They’d rather focus on workstations, and let Apple have the rest.

    In other words….

    HP is getting rid of gadgets and consumer doo-dads in order to focus exclusively on the needs of high-end pros.

    What a concept!

  • Tim Wilson

    August 23, 2011 at 5:32 am in reply to: Spreading Rumors

    [Scott Sheriff] ” We don’t need to actually get punched in the nuts by a midget”

    Speak for yourself, man.

  • Tim Wilson

    August 22, 2011 at 5:22 am in reply to: Some thoughts on the FCPX Forum

    Thanks for taking the time to reply, Craig.

    [Craig Seeman] “I really think, as time passes, this forum might get beyond just FCPX and become a discussion of “industry trends.” I would love to see the divergent analysis whether Apple or HP, etc and how that might impact our purchasing decisions with software and hardware tools. It could help anyone ranging from a single system purchase to a facility manager trying to asses the market. “

    Nicely said. In my mind, that’s the endgame for this forum, not that it eventually merges with the FCPX Techniques forum.

    I think that we can generally agree the kinds of issues you raise have been some of the best discussions here. This really is important stuff that falls well outside the scope of a single tool from a single vendor. It was more than that from the very beginning here, starting with the question of what’s a pro, and what it means when you and your key vendors have different ideas about the answer.

    We’ve tried to get these kinds of discussions started several times over the years, but couldn’t find the right spark. One of the great things about the COW has been that people ask questions, get answers, and get back to work.

    But we always thought it would be nice to have some place to speak much more broadly.

    [Craig Seeman] “That’s often why, when many of the tech companies that sell product (hardware of software) do focus studies….”

    Apple has said repeatedly that they don’t do focus groups. I hope that at some point somebody starts believing them.

    Show of hands?

    [Craig Seeman] ” That’s why I think a civil “industry trends” type forum would be good… if only this forum could evolve into that.”

    Civility is the key, but yes, that’s exactly my hope…but I have a feeling that the next month or more is still going to be driven by what Apple does or doesn’t do.

    Thanks again for the thoughtful reply,

    Tim

  • Tim Wilson

    August 21, 2011 at 9:56 pm in reply to: Point Me In the Direction of A………..

    There are some great articles here at the COW as well.

    In order from NAB forward:

    The Future of Editing

    FCPX: Ready or Not, here it comes

    FCPX: Why We Can’t Use Final Cut Pro X at Our Companies

    FCPX: What Pros Find Missing In Final Cut Pro X

    FCPX – First Cut with the new Final Cut Pro X

    FCPX: Three Camps – The Pro vs. Non-Pro Debate

    RED and FCPX

    A Final Cutter Tries Out Premiere Pro

    FCPX: Hardware Changes, Part Two

    FCPX: OMF The Hard Way

    The Magnetic Timeline: Thoughts on Apple’s New Paradigm

    Here are links to interviews with execs at Avid and Adobe reiterating that, without pros, their companies cease to exist.

    I’ve left out a dozen or so, but you get the idea.

    As for FCPX tutorials, we’ve got bunches. Most recently, a 6-part series by Kevin McAuliffe on switching to Avid Media Composer, starting here.

    Hey, maybe you’re looking for tutorials for FCPX itself. 🙂 Yeah, we’ve got those too. In addition to some of the text-based lessons above, we have bunches of video tutorials as well, covering things like working in the timeline, animating with keyframes, matching EQ, taking projects on the go, and more.

    Start here for more details.

    So yes, in addition to chatter, we have articles and tutorials. 🙂

    Yr pal,
    Timmy
    Creative COW

Page 162 of 235

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy