Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Creative Community Conversations FCS 3 is back on sale through Apple – via telesales only

• FCS 3 is back on sale through Apple – via telesales only

• John Christie

September 1, 2011 at 10:53 pm
  • TImothy Auld

September 1, 2011 at 11:38 pm

But are they going to support it again, or is it still EOL?

bigpine

• Tim Vaughan

September 2, 2011 at 12:05 am

Probably too little, too late for most people. It’s hard to put your business’s future in the hands of a company that has proved a little reckless.

Tim
    Apple XRAID, XServe, MacPro, Macbook Pro, XSAN, FCP Studio (7), AVID Media Composer
    Apple Monitors, Flanders Scientific Broadcast, Panasonic AG-AF100
    Adobe Production Premium, Maxon Cinema 4d
    Beer fridge fully loaded.

• Scott Sheriff

September 2, 2011 at 12:09 am

In order to avoid a double post, here is what I said in the FCP forum
    https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/1141921

Scott Sheriff
    Director
    https://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

“If you think it’s expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.” —Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

• Craig Seeman

September 2, 2011 at 12:11 am
  • TImothy Auld

September 2, 2011 at 12:15 am

Yes, with no announcement of support resuming I can only assume this is an attempt to get rid of old inventory and put some more cash in the bank. They are, after all, nip and tuck with Exxon.

bigpine

• John Davidson

September 2, 2011 at 12:16 am

Good. Buys them a little more time to fix X. Eliminates one of the major complaints to boot.

It’ll be interesting to see if the Mac Pro gets an update soon. It’s way past due and if nothing else needs to get up to speed with Thunderbolt.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

• Craig Seeman

September 2, 2011 at 12:28 am

After being IN STOCK all day at B&H it’s back to DISCONTINUED. They must have sold out their one and only shipment.

• Oliver Peters

September 2, 2011 at 1:34 am

Of course, FCP 7 is still EOL’ed! Why would anyone think otherwise? This is Apple trying to quietly respond to some loud pressure from users (but also resellers) who still need to satisfy ongoing needs for current versions of the software.

Just imagine it this way. You are an FCP reality TV shop and you added an additional series. Now you need to quickly set-up 20-40 extra edit bays. What software are you going to do this with? Obviously it’s easiest to go with what your editors know without absorbing a big learning curve. Any move – FCPX, PPro, MC – all pose issues when there’s a change.

Those are the sort of folks Apple is trying to respond to.

– Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
    Orlando, FL
    http://www.oliverpeters.com

• Mark Morache

September 2, 2011 at 4:42 am

Hmmm… I wonder what the message is here.

They could be saying “we were wrong and we are sorry, please accept our apology.”
    That doesn’t seem too likely since they waited so long to react to the backlash that was incendiary in the beginning, and has settled down to a constant burn. They should have done this 4 weeks ago.

Perhaps it’s taken this long for them to see their market share start to drop and keep dropping as busineses are fleeing to Avid and Adobe, and they’re trying to stop the bleeding.

Maybe they’re having trouble with the upgrade since there is so much that needs to be done, and they know how important it is to get this one right, and they’re trying to buy themselves more time with what they think is a generous gesture.

Maybe they’re panicking and grasping at straws. (not likely).

In my mind, if they discounted the software at half price like Adobe and Avid, they would be likely to sell more than twice as many boxes then they would at $999. Everyone loves a firesale, and it would feel much more like a real value. How many will be willing to pay full price for software that’s EOL’d, with a successor that may be years away from being ready for prime time.

This doesn’t feel like contriteness to me. It was necessary, but still feels too little too late.

However, it was “the reversal of a Custer decision”, which nearly never happens with the Cupertino crew, so we can count that as a point for us.

And it’s never too late for them to surprise us.

I still like the idea of “Buy FCX, and get FCS3 for free. They would fly off the shelves, show their contrition, and cement their dominance.

I’m still hopeful that FCX will rock my world, without compromise, crashes or all the workarounds.

Someday.

Mark Morache
    Avid/Xpri/FCP7/FCX
    Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
    blogging at https://fcpx.wordpress.com

Viewing 1 - 10 of 59 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy