Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Creative Community Conversations FCS 3 is back on sale through Apple – via telesales only

• FCS 3 is back on sale through Apple – via telesales only

• Craig Alan

September 3, 2011 at 3:36 am

Actually, the same thing happened with Imovie.

Imovie HD was a great hobbyist/starter program. I used it in a beginner video production course for students and it was great but needed an update. We were looking forward to a couple more tracks of audio and video, a second viewer, different views in the browser, compatibility with apple pro res, JKL keyboard control, and get the bugs out of quartz effects. And it crashed too much even with external media drives.

The education market and hobbyist market were so upset at the new Imovie that Apple offered a free download of the old one — after a bunch of bad reviews and many protests from consumers. As the new one added features the protest died down but there are still folks that miss the old simple timeline interface.

When they EOLed the old Imovie the new one did not allow “extracting audio” from the video it was linked to.

It did not support all the plug-ins that third parties wrote for the old Imovie like effects and masking and keying and ken burns variations. The new one was a huge step backwards and folks were pissed.
    Everything felt themed and for a teacher did not feel like kids would learn editing basics.

Apple said (or did people just guess, not sure) that the new one was better cause many consumers couldn’t learn the old one easily and therefore didn’t use it. Funny cause I used FCP 3 but needed a cheaper program to install on underpowered school computers. A student helped me learn Imovie. I had kids editing within two lessons and being pretty independent within a week. Then I’d get kids who asked about features that Imovie didn’t have and I’d tell them about FCP.

Now, an industry was not at stake, but the pattern is surprisingly similar and in a dummied down way for the same reasons.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

• Gary Pollard

September 3, 2011 at 3:47 am

Unless or until Apple gives an indication this product is not EOL they are asking you to give them more money to fuel your car to drive off a cliff.

Why is full price FCP7 a good deal right now, when all it does is buy you a little extra time?

If you don’t have faith in FCP X opening a brave new world (and I’m beginning to wonder if even Apple does) this is a dead end, pouring good money after bad. No project you start on your new FCP7 seat will be openable on FCP X, and it seems unlikely this will be fixed.

Also, why would you buy this even to train students or staff if you really believe the new “paradigm” of video editing is going to render that training useless? FCP 7 will train staff to edit better on Premiere than on FCP X.

And you can get Premiere, which is not a dead end, cheaper. And Avid for around the same price.

This in itself, without a future, seems a strange – or at least half-baked – business decision.

____

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it”

• Scott Sheriff

September 3, 2011 at 3:55 pm

[David Battistella] “I think the real reason they did this is because there is no
    “dollar store” for EOL software.”

That’s weird. Not that long ago they notified everyone that Shake was discontinued, and then dropped the price to $500. I guess when they laid off those FCP ‘support people’, it must have been those that new how to discount discontinued items.

[David Battistella] “You have to put it in regular retail and sell it at full price.”

You do? What, is someone standing there with a shotgun to the head forcing them?

Scott Sheriff
    Director
    https://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

“If you think it’s expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.” —Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

• Craig Seeman

September 3, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I’m wondering if the reason why Apple doesn’t discount the price is at least partially related to the licensing issue.

Again the handling of FCS EOL is different than their past history. Shake is one good example.

• Scott Sheriff

September 3, 2011 at 7:28 pm

[Craig Seeman] “I’m wondering if the reason why Apple doesn’t discount the price is at least partially related to the licensing issue.”

Could be.
    I would think that royalties would have already been paid, or at least accounted for when they canned up the software. Or maybe not…
    But if it is about licensing/royalties, why is this so hard to figure out, and decide if you can release something, and what the price structure is? Companies with a lot fewer resources than apple manage to do this every day.
    This whole thing is quite perplexing. And now this off again, on again upgrade pricing for FCS3. Look at the B&H upgrade price deal is available, then not, and now in the other forum someone that ordered from the videoguys with the upgrade pricing is getting word of a delay on shipping.
    It seems when it was time to secretly pull FCS3 from the VAR’s, apple managed to pull that off flawlessly. But when it comes to putting it back out, they can’t get their stories straight and none of the VAR’s know if they have a product to sell, and for how much. I just don’t get why a company as big, and that has the tech resources like apple can completely fail when it comes to business basics like customer service, communication and the distribution path for a relatively simple, and low volume product such as boxed software.

Scott Sheriff
    Director
    https://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

“If you think it’s expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.” —Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

• Gary Bettan

September 4, 2011 at 9:15 am

We got in our last shipment of FCS3 the end of August. we filled our back orders and the dozen or so units left sold out in a week.

Last week half a dozen FCS3 upgrades arrived. Quite honestly, we never expected them to ship. These are now gone.

While the internets are lit up with stories that FCS3 is again shipping. We have called Apple and as of now, we can’t order more. So I’m not sure if VARs will be included in this new plan or not.

As frustrating as this is for end users, it is even more frustrating for VARs. I just don’t understand why Apple has to have all this cloak and dagger bullcrap. Who does it help?

Gary

COW members get 5% OFF with Coupon COW5OFF

https://www.videoguys.com 800 323-2325 | We are the video editing and production experts!

• David Battistella

September 5, 2011 at 7:00 am

[Scott Sheriff] “[David Battistella] “You have to put it in regular retail and sell it at full price.”

You do? What, is someone standing there with a shotgun to the head forcing them?”

Satire Scott, Satire….

• Robert Brown

September 5, 2011 at 11:26 pm

[Mark Morache] “Perhaps it’s taken this long for them to see their market share start to drop and keep dropping as busineses are fleeing to Avid and Adobe, and they’re trying to stop the bleeding.”

I really doubt they are going to take a hit financially but their reputation has taken a hit deservedly and so maybe there is some concern about that.

Robert Brown
    Editor/VFX/Colorist – FCP, Smoke, Quantel Pablo, After Effects, 3DS MAX, Premiere Pro

https://vimeo.com/user3987510/videos

• Mark Morache

September 6, 2011 at 1:49 am

[Robert Brown]
    I really doubt they are going to take a hit financially but their reputation has taken a hit deservedly and so maybe there is some concern about that.”

They may not care as much about taking a hit financially, but I think they care about their dominance. I don’t know what percentage of editors use FCP, but Apple knows, and I believe they wouldn’t like seeing their preeminence wane.

And correct me if I’m reaching, but if it looks like they care what the pro world thinks, isn’t that a good sign? There seems to be a number of these signs that FCX wants to be a professional app when it grows up, so I’m ever hopeful.

———
    FCX. She tempts me, abuses me, beats me up, makes me feel worthless, then in the end she comes around, helps me get my work done, gives me hope and I can’t stop thinking about her.

Mark Morache
    Avid/Xpri/FCP7/FCX
    Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
    https://fcpx.wordpress.com

Viewing 51 - 59 of 59 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy