Forum Replies Created
-
[Justin Ferar] “That said the 4000 rocks with Premier CS6.”
That’s the thing. The much-heralded Mercury engine? Developed with NVIDIA. I don’t know anything about other software besides what I’m reading on this thread and the Resolve forum, but if you’re using CS6, your Quadro investment will be rewarded.
Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou -
Tim Wilson
June 12, 2012 at 8:08 pm in reply to: What the new Mac Pro means for those evaluating FCP X[Craig Seeman] “[Herb Sevush] “This major ordeal hasn’t been too much for HP or Dell to overcome.”
They haven’t overcome. They haven’t even addressed it. They don’t support Thunderbolt at this point.”
Neither does the Mac Pro, does it?
As others have pointed out, the motherboards exist. I wouldn’t be shocked if HP, Dell and ProMAX ALL have Thunderbolt before the Mac Pro does.
Of course, if the Mac Pro already does, I apologize. There’s an awful lot of new specs to wade though, so I may just have missed it.
Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou -
[Bobby Mosca] “Remember you have to do it from the back of your car and be handsome, too.”
Handsome may be too strong a word, but I think it’s safe to say that the members of Creative COW are better-looking than average. You can see the evidence at the top of the landing page for each forum.
Go look for yourselves.
+++++
Okay, I just got back. I clearly haven’t checked in a while.
But I think it’s safe to say that most of the members of Creative COW can figure out how to edit from the back of their cars.
Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou -
[Rick Lang] “Jeremy:
“Looks like it’s available in July. Â I just read it in fine print on retina MBP tech specs.”Thanks for finding the Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter!”
The Thunderbolt/GigE adapter is already in the Apple store for $29.
https://store.apple.com/us/product/MD463ZM/AAlso note that Sonnet has a monster of a little box that offers SxS, Compact Flash, SDXC, eSATA, and FW800 via Tbolt. Bus-powered no less. Doesn’t solve every problem, but solves a few…
https://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpresscard34thunderbolt.htmlTim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou -
[Gary Huff] “[Oliver Peters] “Or maybe this is simply a result of “learning” from the FCP 7 EOL experience.””
What do you think is the lesson that the FCP 7 EOL experience teaches?
Because to me, it’s that Apple EOL’d FCP in 2007, in the sense that that was the last real release. 2009 was the post-EOL maintenance release. Two years later, the real new thing.
That’s when we learned that FCP 7 was in fact zombieware….but you might have been able to tell earlier if you hadn’t been fooled by incremental forward motion.
So by this math, Mac Pro was EOL’d a while ago, we’ve got incremental forward motion, and we’re marking maintenance releases until the real new thing.
Is that what you’re thinking? Because without being a wiseass (this time), I’m curious: can you be more specific about what YOU think the lesson of FCP 7 is?
Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou -
[Frank Gothmann] “without this card TB will simply connect at full speed to other external IO but not support display.”
I’m not speaking about Craig, but a bunch of Mac people are so focused on Thunderbolt that they’re missing a key point: it solves a problem that many people just don’t have.
I/O, cool. It’s not a complete solution, because so many devices have more than one interface, but hey, that’s fine.
But one reason to prefer a PC is that there are so many more options, more powerful and flexible, than Thunderbolt can offer. Insisting that a motherboard doesn’t meet your requirements unless it has a lesser-performing connection, to a lesser-performing monitor — sad. Apple’s best desktop monitor has fewer colors than my laptop. I’m just not in a hurry to connect to it.
So yeah, I’m looking forward to Thunderbolt eventually, but I’m also in no hurry to buy devices that only use Thunderbolt.
Why? It’s dandy. It’s adorable. Seriously, cute as a button. And fast enough for being as cute as it is. But it doesn’t solve any problems that I have that can’t also be solved other ways.
I’m usually missing something — what am I missing here?
Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou -
Tim Wilson
June 11, 2012 at 10:14 pm in reply to: Mac Pro – If you are having trouble finding the words …All I know is that the SIRI button on the steering wheel is the excuse I’ve always been waiting for to buy a Jag.
Then my wife saw that she could use SIRI to find out how tall LeBron James is, and now she’s in too.
Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou -
[John Pilgrim] “Cubix, HP, Asus and Supermicro are happy today.”
Don’t forget ProMAX and Dell! 🙂
Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou -
[Jeremy Garchow] “…just pooped up in the App Store.”
Is nobody commenting on “just pooped up”? I’m sure it’s a typo, but c’mon – is EVERYBODY Freudian slipping today? Or just Apple pooping fatigue?
Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou