Forum Replies Created

Page 138 of 235
  • Tim Wilson

    June 11, 2012 at 9:34 pm in reply to: “New” low end Mac Pro Quad now 3.2GHz… 🙁

    Apple has never been interested in supporting the highest-end graphics on Macs. Never.

    This happened before some of you kids were born, but for the first 2 years, Mac didn’t even support color! They behind the industry in this respect, and even behind themselves, as the Apple IIgs introduced color a year earlier.

    I’m a big fan of the Quadro 4000, but have you seen what the 6000 can do? Or what NVIDIA’s Maximus technology, which ties together 2 GPUs? Or SLI, which ties together up to 4? This has been around since, what? 2005? OpenGL? Bueller? Bueller?

    There are many, many reasons to use Macs, and maybe even reasons to believe that a new Mac Pro is coming…uhm, someday…but no reason to believe that its graphics will even attempt to meet the state of the art in pro graphics. Apple swings for the fences in a lot of things, MOST things…but not with this.

    A little sensitive about this because it’s what made Macs impossible for me to use as a primary platform anymore. I was not happy about it. Doing fine now, thanks. LOL

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

  • Tim Wilson

    June 11, 2012 at 6:40 pm in reply to: The Storm

    Not that I think it’s not cool to buy a new car for Siri integration. I think it’s awesome. I can’t wait. I’m going with Jaguar. Since I can’t have a car that’s actually named after Apple, I’m going for the one named after a cat, just like the Mac OS!

    But seriously man, over 100 minutes in, and I’m having a hard time keeping my eyes open. I mean, it’s been like an hour since they dropped Scarlett Johansson’s name. Does your church service even run this long?Somebody wake me when they announce the Mac Pro.

    Even if it’s September. LOL

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

  • Tim Wilson

    June 11, 2012 at 6:25 pm in reply to: The Storm

    [Bobby Mosca] “FCPXs sales numbers are bad news for some on this forum, if you ask me.”

    My one and only point is that this idea that Apple killed a successful product is nonsense. They’ve NOW built something that might be successful enough someday, in ways that Legacy could never possibly have been. But this is the first Apple video product for pros that’s in it for the long haul.

    I mean, are you looking at these numbers today? Hundreds of millions of this, billions of that, whatever. These are numbers almost beyond comprehension. At $295, they’re clearly not expecting iWorks numbers, but seriously, you have to way, way scale up your expectations of Apple’s expectations.

    Not that it might be good news for any particular person in this forum.

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

  • Tim Wilson

    June 11, 2012 at 6:07 pm in reply to: The Storm

    No announcements, but I read a very reasonable conversation between some developers who’ve actually done it, about how many sales it takes to stay on top of the paid apps bestseller list. I made a back-of-the-envelope guess from there.

    But it also fits with my general theory that Apple thought of FCP7 as — if not a failure, a profound disappointment. Apple isn’t in business to sell 2 million of anything over 12 years. That’s not a sustainable business in Apple-land.

    Frankly, I doubt that it’s as little as 10 million, but I doubt we’ll ever know for sure. It’s certainly closer to the kinds of number Apple looks for from software — but even there, still short of Apple-like numbers for anything. They swing big and broad.

    Related, I was going to say that this looks EXACTLY what a MacWorld keynote used to look like…but that makes sense, because (no insult intended) most Mac developers are developing for general audiences.

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

  • Tim Wilson

    June 11, 2012 at 5:50 pm in reply to: The Storm

    [Lance Bachelder] “they must be serious about FCPX?”

    10 million FCPX downloads x $295 = nearly $3 billion dollars in the first year, around what they made in the first TWELVE years of Legacy. And I’m being conservative. Yeah, I think they’re serious.

    And probably my last chance to say it before the other shoe drops: I’ve never wavered in saying that a new Mac Pro is coming. Even if he doesn’t announce it in the next few minutes. LOL

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

  • Tim Wilson

    June 11, 2012 at 6:41 am in reply to: The calm before the storm

    Puzzling? I think not. Computers are…yawn…computers, but Usher, well, he’s Usher.

    I’m on my phone so you’ll have to figure out how to get to the desktop version yourself…
    https://m.billboard.com/column/the-juice/usher-s-looking-4-myself-track-by-track-1007269352.story

    Timmy says spring for the deluxe edition….but then, I always say that…but as we have already established,I am always right….

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

  • Tim Wilson

    June 10, 2012 at 7:22 pm in reply to: The calm before the storm

    [Craig Seeman] “I think you should raise your ad rates like crazy for the day.”

    Kinda late this time, but I think the NEXT time that Apple spends six months EOLing product after product aimed at pros, followed by a year of virtually non-stop turmoil in the middle of a 2 year gap between high-end CPU updates — dude, we’re all over it.

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

  • Tim Wilson

    June 10, 2012 at 6:42 pm in reply to: What have you done in X lately?

    [Steve Connor] ” I’ll hopefully be putting together an article on the process.”

    There is no hopefully. There is only do or not do.

    Looking forward to it, bro. 🙂

    tw

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

  • Tim Wilson

    June 10, 2012 at 6:41 pm in reply to: The calm before the storm

    Please, we had the bandwidth to withstand both NAB 2011 and in June, Apple dropping the X-bomb. We’re gonna be fine.

    (You realize that we’re still TEN DAYS away from the first anniversary of FCPX? Amazing.)

    I’m counting on at least a couple of hundred of you posting your reactions here in real time, and then commenting on each other’s posts. Baby needs a new pair of shoes.

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

  • Tim Wilson

    June 10, 2012 at 5:31 pm in reply to: What have you done in X lately?

    [Bret Williams] “That’s funny you feel it’s all file based….
    But those are small companies. Probably exceptions to the rule. :)”

    It’s true even for big companies. 🙂

    Netflix is still 2:1 in favor of DVDs, and Redbox added 10,000 new kiosks last year.

    On the more localized level, I still see a lot of Blu-ray files being delivered to boardrooms and other corporate venues like tradeshows that wouldn’t have the first idea what to do with a computer file.

    Not that streaming’s not big (even Redbox will have a streaming option in H2 2012), or growing, or more profitable, but DVDs are a long way from done commercially. There were 210 Blu-ray disks sold worldwide last year, and we’re on pace for 400 million this year!

    My guess is that a good bit of this is because of combo packs, but it still speaks to the generally robust nature of the disk business, which remains far, far bigger than the download business.

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

Page 138 of 235

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy