Forum Replies Created

Page 139 of 235
  • [Jeremy Garchow] “I want to make this the only statement in my Cow Profile.”

    At the risk of melting more brains, I’m seriously considering making that original post the only thing in MY profile.

  • I can’t believe I gave you Ras Tafari making fun of Elvis and Jim Morrison and THIS is your takeaway.

    [Jeremy Garchow] “my brain is melting what does this have to do with elvis, saraota, lizard king leather pants, and corn nut buying dbag”

    It’s the fictional name of the trailer park they really live in. That is all. The REST should be melting your brain, not the name of the trailer park.

    I admit, I took a little poetic license trying to conceal the exact location of our heroes. I was inspired by the Wynken Blynken & Nod Estates in Key Largo. Modular homes up front by the highway, block homes along the ocean. My wife and I looked at a very nice house on Bo Peep Lane, but couldn’t bring ourselves to LIVE on Bo Peep Lane.

    Here, for example, is a nice satellite view of 103 Tweedy Pie Terrace, which is for sale right now. https://goo.gl/maps/vwTY

    And no, this is not the exact location of Elvis, Jim, Haile and FCP 7. Definitely closer to Sarasota.

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

  • [Jeremy Garchow] “FCP Martyr doesn’t have the ring of Legend. ;)”

    Here’s the thing. Legend ain’t dead. It’s living in the Wynken Blynken & Nod trailer park about 25 minutes outside Sarasota, FL with Jim Morrison, Haile Selassie and Elvis, drinking warm beer all day and arguing who has the coolest nickname.

    4) Legend”>Legend. Pretty weak. Wynken Blynken & Nod? THAT’s a legend.

    “Hey Legend, go buy more beer. And don’t forget the Corn Nuts this time, d-bag.”

    3) King of Rock and Roll. Getting warmer, uhm, cooler, but…

    Here’s another clue for you all: The Walrus Was Elvis. When John Lennon was told in 1977 that Elvis had “died,” he replied, “Elvis died the day the day he joined the Army….The rest was a living death.” Get it? LIVING. It’s “I buried Paul” all over again.

    2) Lizard King. Now we’re talking. Those leather pants are smelling a little ripe in the Florida heat, but Jim is a living reminder of my grandmother’s old saying, “Just because he’s a cruel, self-aggrandizing drunk doesn’t mean he’s NOT a shaman.”

    Of course, she was talking about my Uncle Nick, but the point remains: awesome nickname.

    “Hey, Lizard King. See those lizards in the palm trees? Tell ’em to stop eating my poinciana blossoms.”

    ….ANNNNNND the #1 Coolest nickname in the Wynken Blynken & Nod trailer park:

    Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah.

    Dude, seriously, THAT’s a nickname.

    The cool thing is, you could argue (and actually, I kinda do) that ANOTHER of his nicknames is no lower than second place on the list, and maybe on top: Jah Rastafari.

    Not to hear Elvis talk about it, though. Yap yap yap, he’s just not gonna let this go. Morrison is mostly dozing, but half opens one eye and mumbles, “Mr. Mojo will be rising out of this chair to put his foot in your ass if you don’t pipe down.”

    Even Legend is tired of it, but low man on the totem pole has to keep it to himself. And dang it! Has to go back to get the Corn Nuts.

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

  • Tim Wilson

    June 6, 2012 at 10:16 pm in reply to: New Mac Pro

    [Andrew Richards] “They were mocked because prior to that they had a pretty terrible track record sticking to their roadmaps around that time. Remember Longhorn?”

    That mocking echoes down the years. LOL

    Just because you got a roadmap don’t mean you don’t get lost.

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

  • Tim Wilson

    June 6, 2012 at 8:29 pm in reply to: New Mac Pro

    [Andrew Richards] “You know who else doesn’t publish roadmaps? Everyone. “

    That’s just not true. Microsoft and HP are among MANY companies who do. We’ve had a couple of threads about this, but here’s a summary of one of them.

    At Microsoft’s equivalent of the WWDC, they presented their plans of Windows 8 in 2009, complete with an overview of key technologies. Their roadmap included the news that Windows 8 would be shipping in 2012. They were widely mocked for this at the time, but whaddya know, Windows 8 in 2012 is looking pretty likely, and while there are more technologies than were announced, there aren’t fewer.

    Why? Because when you have a massive cloud of hardware partners, they need to know this kind of thing. They have a massive cloud of software partners who are making more than tiny apps that sit on phones.

    Remarkably, MSFT also includes a roadmap for product EOLs, and it goes out years in advance. In fact it’s separated into sales and support. (We’ll stop selling it in year X, we’ll stop supporting it in year Y.)

    So this may not meet your standard for something different than “nobody,” does Apple publish a 3 year OS roadmap? Is there a chart for EOL timelines? No? Well, at least one OS company does both.

    HP publishes road maps all the time. Not for everything, but for plenty of lines, including, yes, EOL timelines. The e3000 server line’s EOL was announced 5 years in advance (!!!), under the assumption that people are doing real business with these things and are going to need a smooth transition.

    And this wasn’t a massive product – MAXIMUM size of 146 gigs. I think most people reading this might have more than that. The idea is that you could pile up a bunch of ’em — up to 20 of ’em for a total of 3TB. Again, I think quite a few of you have more than 3TB, but you certainly know that it’s within reasonable financial reach.

    The point is that the product wasn’t a lot of money for HP, but it was important for a key class of customers.

    Here’s the amazing thing: the EOL was announced 5 years in advance, but they kept the product alive for NINE years because people liked it so much.

    Sound familiar? No, it doesn’t, because Apple doesn’t keep products alive longer than planned based on popular demand.

    Loads o’links here, including PowerPoint slides (woo-hoo!!):
    https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/28367

    And a follow-up here:
    https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/28400

    As I concluded that post, “I can come up with more examples of companies in other parts of the broadest meaning of “our industry” who are very open about their roadmaps, just as I can come up with companies whose lips are sealed tighter than a tomb. But HP and Microsoft seemed like good comparables to Apple’s place in the ecosystem, and couldn’t be more different in their approach.”

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

  • Tim Wilson

    June 6, 2012 at 8:26 pm in reply to: New Mac Pro

    [Robert Brown] “Sounds interesting but I’m out of slots. Maybe if Tim could kick his brother in law the next time he sees him if he reads this.”

    Glad to oblige. 🙂

    Of course my sister will beat my ass to the ground, but I’m willing to take one for the team.

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

  • Tim Wilson

    June 6, 2012 at 6:18 pm in reply to: New Mac Pro

    [Robert Brown] “[Chris Harlan] “Actually, multiple GPUs worked just fine on FCS3. Yu just needed to know how to do it.”

    Show off!”

    But that was just more than one card in the box, right Chris? Or are you saying that you were able to link them to each other for better performance?

    NVIDIA calls it Maximus technology, but the point is graphics RAID, so to speak.

    That’s the thing I think he’s saying that Mac doesn’t support…which I didn’t think it does…but hey, you’re clearly ahead of the curve here. 🙂

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

  • Tim Wilson

    June 6, 2012 at 5:25 pm in reply to: Blackmagic to buy AVID (My Speculation Only)

    I don’t see it happening, because BMD would have to buy the whole kit and kaboodle. You can’t spin off Media Composer.

    To put it another way, how attractive is Avid shared storage to you without Media Composer? The way it shares is through managing AVID metadata and projects. Subtract MC, and it’s Just A Bunch of Disks (or in storage parlance, JBOD.)

    Related, when I was there, ISIS topped out at 192TB, and the most frequent request I heard was to make it bigger — to run more seats of Media Composer. No MC, no ISIS.

    What about Avid I/O? I think it’s underrated…but worth zero without MC.

    Interplay is fantastic, some of the most remarkable networked workflow you’ll ever see — for Media Composer and its relatives.

    Services? The big money is supporting systems build around Media Composer.

    Lather, rinse, repeat, across the product line.

    Except for Pro Tools. LOL

    You can say that Avid makes most of its money off of hardware, storage and services — but none of it sells without MC. That other stuff is muscle, but MC is the spine. Remove it, and the rest just flops around on the ground.

    Except for Pro Tools. LOL

    So either Grant buys everything that Avid makes, or Avid stays in the non-software business with BMD customers virtually their ONLY customers. I don’t see it.

    FWIW, I asked Grant this DIRECTLY when we spoke a few months ago. Here’s his reply…which you’ll note is kind of a non-answer. 🙂
    https://magazine.creativecow.net/article/blackmagic-designs-grant-petty-we-want-to-blow-your-mind

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

  • Tim Wilson

    June 6, 2012 at 5:15 pm in reply to: Blackmagic to buy AVID (My Speculation Only)

    [Chris Harlan] “[Bill Davis] “”If you don’t come in Saturday, don’t bother coming in Sunday…””

    Okay. That’s funny.”

    I laughed every time they told me that when I worked at Avid. And they said it PLENTY. And meant it.

    But I still laughed.

  • Tim Wilson

    June 6, 2012 at 5:11 pm in reply to: Ray Bradbury RIP

    My wife and I had an entertainment show in the early to mid-90s, and we got to have Ray Bradbury on.

    The thing that struck me most is that he was happy to be Ray Bradbury. He was pleased with what he’d done, and never tired of the adulation — which I can tell you is incredibly rare. I found it an inspiring encounter, and made me feel even more warmly about his work than I already did.

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

Page 139 of 235

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy