Forum Replies Created

Page 136 of 235
  • [Clint Wardlow] ” I don’t think it is people are pissed because a CEO makes good money, its just that the gap between the rich and the rest of us has grown a whole lot in the last 20 years.”

    To put it in corporate terms rather than political ones, but still agreeing with your point, I don’t like the increasing gap between CEOs and other workers when the CEO is f^cking up, especially in ways that harm workers (ie, empty their pension funds).

    I also resent the whole “I’m just taking a salary of $1.” That just tells me that a) you have an assload of other sources of income, and b) you’re dodging taxes.

    Other than that, if you’re doing the basics right, get paid as much as you can. If you’re guiding the process of adding massive value to your company, tens of millions or more in various compensations doesn’t bother me a bit. Are the stockholders and employees properly provided for? Then go for it.

    (Looking at it that way, I think that most elite athletes and entertainers are UNDERPAID relative to the revenue they generate – by elite meaning consistently creating value.)

    That said, yeah, underperforming CEOs getting fortunes for their f^ckitude is the kind of thing that potentially undermines the whole economy.

  • Most of this stuff only matters to old people like us. Facebook and Google messing with your privacy? I’ve never heard anybody as old as their 30s complain about this. The head of one of those companies said, paraphrasing, “there’s no such thing as privacy when people are giving us their information almost more quickly than we can collect it.”

    Guess which one? I actually don’t remember. It really was one of ’em, but coulda been either.

    iPhone 4 antenna? The issue is still there in the phones people are buying today.

    I’m not trying to wave aside the idea that there aren’t evil companies, but even in our business, among the Mac partisans who first called Microsoft the Evil Empire, haven’t they descended to little more than hapless boobs?

    The companies I think of as evil are (in my eyes) cutting wide swaths of greed, corruption and death, and Foxconn notwithstanding, I don’t see Apple fitting the bill. Neither do Google, Facebook, or even LinkedIn, whose business model is built on charging you money to see the information that you’ve given them.

    To the point that someone made in another thread about politics, Steve said in an interview I’ve linked to before, “I don’t owe anybody anything because people like my stuff.” It’s no coincidence that the two rounds of dividends happened when Steve wasn’t around -but was his way evil? I don’t think so.

    (I do find it interesting that Bill’s wife said, okay, you’re the richest man in the history of the world, now be the guy who has given away the most money in the history of the world, and he’s arguably there, and nowhere near through.I don’t think he thinks he OWES anybody anything. He also didn’t do it while he was working at msft. I think he and Steve rightly felt that their primary responsibility as corporate dudes was to create wealth for investors, the end. The question that Bill’s wife posed is, yeah, you’ve fulfilled your OBLIGATION, but wouldn’t it be cool to take advantage of this OPPORTUNITY?)

    The more interesting question to me is, is ANYBODY considered evil anymore by anybody but geezers and pundits? And politicians – but something something punchline here.

    As much as I’ve spent over half my life in nearly constant outrage over something, things are close enough to okay for me to give dough to my favorite causes and let the rest go.

    Does that make me evil?

    But I certainly think that for the pups, big equaling evil is long gone, if it was ever there. I’d love for them to pick up where I left of on the outrage thing….but only if they agree with me. LOL Otherwise they can stfu and keep their white earplugs plugged in. LOL

    But there’s no way that Apple can do anything that’s actually feasible and even get mentioned in the fine print on the list of evil companies, is there? Asked with a rising intonation to suggest that the question isn’t entirely rhetorical….

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

  • Tim Wilson

    June 15, 2012 at 4:36 pm in reply to: Others insight….

    Timothy, I was hoping that the length of my post and my general wisenheimer-y tone in the COW that “typing while I drive” would sound like a joke. Sorry if this was another of my jokes to fall flat. I don’t even keep my phone on when I drive.

    And Dan, THANK YOU for pointing out that “There’s a sucker born every minute” was said ABOUT Barnum. Understanding this basic fact turns the quote on its head.

    Barnum wasn’t even vaguely cynical. He was a circus guy. People go to the circus specifically because they WANT the wool pulled over their eyes. It’s FUN. You’re not being a sucker if you go to a circus and have a good time.

    His competitors were mad that he kept pulling it off.

    Anyway, I’ve been thinking about things like that in context of my general pattern here. I’m as emotional as anyone else about this stuff, and while I’ve never said something I don’t believe, I’m concerned that my generally happy disposition is being skewed by posting about stuff that pisses me off — because the fact is that I really don’t REALLY pissed off about much at all.

    So by way of a sort-of apology for being a dick, which still comes distressingly naturally to me, I’m making an effort to be as positive online as I am in person.

    Hence I’d like to enthusiastically recommend my article on cinematographer Gregg Toland and his work in Citizen Kane, The Grapes of Wrath, and pictures that changed the way we see light, called Cinematic Composition. LOL Where never is heard a discouraging word, and the skies are not cloudy all day.

    And feel free to stampede to the comments section of the article and demand, “You call this insight?” LOL Nope. Just another fanboy, which is what I mostly am about most stuff.

    Yr pal,
    Timmy

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

  • [Jon Chappell] “No, elements are the same physical size on screen but twice the pixels per inch.”

    I’m seeing more clearly already. 🙂

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

  • [gary adcock] “his was an issue with the original RED One cameras, offering so much rez when only allowing a low quality 720p output many issues were not seen”

    Agree that pixel-for-pixel footage is critical for monitoring, but I also agree with concerns about UI remapping at that scale. Yeah, it’ll be crisp, but it’ll be TINY, right? Gonna be interesting to see this thing in the wild…

  • Tim Wilson

    June 13, 2012 at 9:35 pm in reply to: MacBook Pro 17″ vs. Mac Pro

    [Jim Giberti] “my wife actually thinks all of this secrecy means something else. “

    That actually happened to me! The night I was going to propose, my (now) wife was going to have “the talk” with me before she broke up with me — I’d suddenly become uncommunicative, etc. She was furious that THAT was the reason I’d stopped talking — ‘you’re supposed to TALK about something as important as marriage, not make it all about YOU!’

    Of course, her problem was that I HAD BEEN communicative for the first stretch of our relationship, and then I STOPPED. I think it would have been different if I’d NEVER been communicative. It would still have been her prerogative to be angry, but after a certain number of years of having it work just fine for ME, I’d have felt less urgent about changing my style.

    There’s a metaphor in there, right?

    Anyway, nearly 30 years later, communication is working for me. Highly recommended. 🙂

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

  • Tim Wilson

    June 13, 2012 at 6:12 pm in reply to: Others insight….

    ” Apple is getting a whole Marie Antoinette groove on.”

    The analogy (yikes!) that I’ve used before is that they’re more like Robespierre, if after cutting off Marie’s head, he’d cut off his own.

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

  • Tim Wilson

    June 13, 2012 at 5:04 pm in reply to: Others insight….

    Note that David is an employee of ProMAX, and does not speak for the COW.

    I’m going to take a guess and say he’s speaking as an FCP user who like many folks here built much of his pre-ProMAX career on Apple’s stuff.

    and while I enjoy talking about all this, and after 35 years of doing video, owning Apple stuff since 1979 (some of my favorite Apple II stuff never showed up in Mac) have formed some strong opinions, I’m only speaking FOR the COW when I’m speaking ABOUT the COW, where plenty of other folks think I’m nuts. they love me and all that, but to say I’m speaking for myself is an understatement.

    Sorry for anything that looks wackier than usual…typing while I drive.

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

  • Tim Wilson

    June 12, 2012 at 10:24 pm in reply to: Can we talk about the Retina MBP for just one second?

    [Jeremy Garchow] “PC switchers and their “cheap” new hardware, virus scanners, and Google Sync.”

    In reverse order…

    Google Sync works great on Macs.

    I haven’t loaded anti-virus software onto a Windows machine ever. I’m sure that people here have. I haven’t met anyone face to face who has. OS-level protection is fine.

    Both a new 15″ MBP and HP8560w will run you $4000-ish loaded for bear. Of course you can buy RAM and upgraded drives from non-mfr sources and come out ahead, and the HP at that price includes the Dreamcolor display, and you can get a nicely configured 17″ in a similar price range…and me being a dick aside, there’s a ton of Mac stuff that an HP doesn’t. I’m just saying that I think we’ve clearly established in this forum that there’s no cheap lunch with a pro machine from anyone. Nobody talking about building their own laptop.

    And part of the debate is where you can find a better future. Everything’s fair game. LOL

    But generally speaking, just looking at the MBP on its own terms, without reference to anything but itself… I agree with you that it’s a unique combination of “Unreal!!” and “Really?”

    I certainly agree that the future is all solid state, especially in that form factor. Is a spinning drive even possible? Even if so, you’d torch the weight and battery life. Having lived with SSD drives for a while now, they’re so fast it looks like a mistake. Reboot? Blink and you miss it. I think you’re gonna go nuts for it.

    [Chris Harlan] “Which way is up? I think its a little to the left. The Usher album is pretty good.”

    Ha! I SWEAR I was about to start and Usher thread!!!!

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

  • Tim Wilson

    June 12, 2012 at 10:04 pm in reply to: Apple Confirms New Mac Pros and iMacs in 2013-Forbes

    [Walter Soyka] “HP evaluated “strategic alternatives for its Personal Systems Group (PSG), including the exploration of the separation of its PC business into a separate company through a spin-off or other transaction.””

    I hadn’t actually read that before, but one thing jumped out at me. A quick command-F on “explor” confirmed: 14 times that explore or exploration was used, plus another 3 for “evaluate.”

    The first person to email me “I found it!” when Apple does a similar press release, I will buy a new pony.

    Wait, why did HP explore and evaluate such things? “To drive higher value solutions to enterprise, small and midsize business and public sector customers.” You may not like gubmint and hate HP because they want MY TAX DOLLARS for their stinking Windozers…but hey: they explored and evaluated ideas to support bidness as well as gubmint.

    Nevertheless, Apotheker’s head rolled the following month. The next month!!! That’s obviously not the only reason, but I’m not sure how much more decisively HP could have rejected this unless they’d ACTUALLY cut off his head and rolled it.

    And in fairness to Apple, stuff like this is why Apple doesn’t pipe up about what it’s thinking about. No matter how quickly you walk them back, people are still going to beat you up for false moves.

    And also as Tim Cook pointed out, if you tell people what you’re going to do, THEY MIGHT DO IT FIRST. On one hand, that’s nonsense. On the other hand, he’s exactly right. I imagine that a lot of things that will show up in a new Mac Pro will show up elsewhere first. LOL

Page 136 of 235

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy