If you put an 1920 by 1080 image in a 720 by 480 or 720 by 576 (PAL) timeline you have A LOT of room to zoom in or pan left/right etc without any loss of resolution.
If you’re not sure what “Keyframing” is you’ve got some very very basic things you need to learn about editing and moving objects to learn. Look at some of the COW tutorials or Google for some various tutorials about keyframing. Pick a start point and an endpoint and move an the image.
At this point I would not choose Premiere to edit EX1 video since it doesn’t handle it natively. You’d need to convert to another codec. Right now the best choices are Final Cut Pro, Vegas and I hear Edius might be a good choice too.
An NLE can do a downconversion but the results depend on the ability of the NLE. A program like Compressor can do downconversion too.
There’s doing and doing well and that really depends on the software (and hardware).
My hunch is that the hardware device to record HQ will probably be more expensive than buying a laptop (although probably smaller). With a laptop you’d be able to screen shots with the client and burn DVD backups on location . . . all while the camera continues to record on one card while you dump the other card into a laptop.
I see lots of risks recording directly to hard drive over solid state memory cards. I’ve heard of enough Firestore horror stories to scare me away from such devices.
With 2 16GB cards and a laptop could record all day non stop and the client can look at the previous card while I continue shooting.