Forum Replies Created

Page 923 of 1040
  • Craig Seeman

    August 5, 2008 at 7:09 pm in reply to: best specs for downloadable Windows players

    [John Farrell] “although I haven’t worked with windows media players. “

    Do you mean Windows Media Player such as WMP11?
    I take it you mean devices like Zune (iPod type Players that play Windows Media).

    See this
    https://support.microsoft.com/kb/928192?sd=zune
    Looks like it can play .m4v
    So it can play files encoded for iPod.

    and this has more specifics
    https://support.microsoft.com/kb/932614/

    We recommend the following settings for playback on a Zune device:
    • Width: 320
    • Height: 240
    • Frame rate: 30 frames per second
    • Complexity: Main Profile, variable bit rate (VBR)
    • Video bit rate (average): 500,000 bits per second (BPS) to 800,000 BPS
    Note This setting is a tradeoff between file size and quality. If you use a setting that is less than 500,000 BPS, the video quality may be too low. If you use a setting that is greater than 800,000 BPS, the file may occupy too much storage space.
    • Video Bit Rate (peak): 1,500,000 BPS
    • Complexity: Simple Profile, constant bit rate (CBR)
    • Video Bit Rate (peak==average): 736,000 BPS
    • Audio track of .wmv video file: 128,000 BPS recommended for to limit file size or up to 192,000 BPS to maximize quality, 44.1 kHz sample rate, stereo, CBR

  • Craig Seeman

    August 5, 2008 at 6:47 pm in reply to: best specs for downloadable Windows players

    If you’re looking at iPod you might want to look at Zune specs.

    AVI is a wrapper not a codec. I can’t imagine it serving any purpose for you.

    I’m not sure why you’re thinking “Windows” MP4? In my opinion most are “odd” formats (Microsoft ISO MPEG4 for example).

    Why wouldn’t you just use WMV9?

  • It really depends on your clients and the time efficiency.

    For me, I’ve seen enough “broken” HDV codec to know I didn’t every want to have to tell a client why a shot looks bad.
    The 4x to 8x input time is a major plus.
    Giving a client the BPAV folders on disc with free cross platform ClipBrowser rather than an HDV tape they may not be able to play is another.
    1/2 Chips
    Slow and Quick motion.
    Time lapse (trying doing that to tape!).
    Being able to keep shooting on one card while the other goes to the laptop rather than stopping for a tape change.

    As a business the time saved and the convenience more than makes up the extra cost of the camera compared to HDV . . . in addition to the quality of chips and codec.

    I saw NO advantage to HDV (and tape is NOT an advantage to me).

  • Craig Seeman

    August 5, 2008 at 5:42 pm in reply to: Unloading EX1 on the fly

    60GB about $1000 US (MSRP?).

    I haven’t heard whether it’s out yet. I think I heard September at which point they’ll be a firmware upgrade for EX1 compatibility.

    HD has an SxS connector taking up a slot. It doesn’t support Quick & Slow motion.

    Some say 60GB is too small (under 4 hours of record time in HQ). On the other hand that’s 3.5 hours give or take for not much more than the price of one 16GB SxS card. It’s value (or lack of) may well depend on how fast SxS prices fall.

  • Craig Seeman

    August 5, 2008 at 2:27 pm in reply to: Reconnecting Ex1 Footage – workflow Q

    If you back up the BPAV, you’d input again keeping the file names the same.
    If you back up the MOV, you’d input that of course.

    Now if you’re just trying to reconnect the timeline it might be a bit of a bother figuring out which clips to re input to avoid inputing everything from you’re backup.

  • Craig Seeman

    August 5, 2008 at 2:24 pm in reply to: EX3 and Embedded Audio?

    Both EX1 and EX3 support embedded audio and time code over HD-SDI as far as I know (not that I’ve tried).

  • Craig Seeman

    August 5, 2008 at 4:27 am in reply to: My Head Hurts…

    Again my regional bias (but it’s my market) I don’t know any business or professional that has 768kbps in my area. 3000kbps is $29.95 a month here (That’s for DSL, Cable Modem speeds are much higher at that price 10,000-15,000kbps). I get 30,000kbps for $49.95. I haven’t seen that stutter start from anywhere in my neck of the woods.

  • Craig Seeman

    August 5, 2008 at 2:36 am in reply to: EX1 audio clicks

    But do you SEE it in the waveform of good audio editing software?

  • Craig Seeman

    August 4, 2008 at 9:56 pm in reply to: Outputting an AVI that can be read by a PC

    You’d probably have to tell us exactly what settings you’re using. DV .AVI, audio PCM 48kHz.

  • Craig Seeman

    August 4, 2008 at 9:08 pm in reply to: Picture Differences HQ v. SP Modes

    It really depends on what you’re shooting. You have to have subject matter that would break the HDV codec. Rippling water, Waving leaves, Fast action sports are examples.

Page 923 of 1040

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy