Forum Replies Created

Page 171 of 254
  • Chris Poisson

    August 6, 2006 at 9:57 pm in reply to: Ouch! too hot!

    I forgot to add that this time of year, being in phoenix, my studio is about 80

  • Chris Poisson

    August 6, 2006 at 3:56 pm in reply to: Online Editing Setup

    Assuming you’re editing SD, a Firewire 800 RAID is fast enough for 8 bit, but 10 would be a stretch. You can get a SATA enclosure that would be much better. Cheap right now too, I just got a 4 drive 2 terabite SATA RAID for around 1400 bucks. Got the enclosure and card from Firmtec and the drives from mwave.

    The G4 will do just fine. Don’t forget a decent NTSC monitor.

    Have a wonderful day.

  • Chris Poisson

    August 2, 2006 at 11:46 am in reply to: Plugin conflicts with 5.1.1?

    Whoa,

    That begs the question, since I have (and love) your PanZoomPro plugin in my FCP, (sorry I forgot to mention) will that still work if I go to 5.1? Note it’s not an Intel Mac, just a plain ole’ 2 Gig G5.

    Have a wonderful day.

  • Chris Poisson

    August 2, 2006 at 11:37 am in reply to: Making Whispers in FCP

    In all my years in production, Protools, yadda yadda, I have NEVER had an instance where I made a normal VO sound like a whisper. Impossible. A whisper is a COMPLETELY different timber/tone than a normal voice. If you want to change the gain you can do that in Protools, SoundtrackPro, Peak or even in FCP, but you will never make it sound like a whisper. Any audio wizard may chime in with a disagreement, but if it was me, I’d re-record the track with the talent whispering.

    Have a wonderful day.

  • Graeme,

    When you say “import’ from various sources, you need to be more specific. I assume from the Web, in which case it is not likely that any of them are broadcast quality. Most likely mpegs, which would be horrible blown up. If you are having PAL/NTSC issues or vice versa then you need to convert those files.

    Have a wonderful day.

  • Chris Poisson

    August 2, 2006 at 3:09 am in reply to: Charging for (hard drive) space

    I think ignorant is the word, so yes, your advice is good. Thanks!

    Have a wonderful day.

  • Chris Poisson

    August 1, 2006 at 3:02 pm in reply to: DV to 10-bit discussion

    Jeremy,

    Only because the MM is so weak, It seems much easier to use workarounds.

    Have a wonderful day.

  • Chris Poisson

    August 1, 2006 at 1:56 pm in reply to: Great deal on Hitachi 500gb SATA drives

    SATA RAID question for everybody:

    So I’ve got the Firmtec and the Hitachi’s coming, I’m wondering if any of you see any value to sacrificing some speed for some security by striping at RAID 3. I won’t be doing any uncompressed HD that I know of, so the speed should do.

    I am a bit gun shy after losing 3 LaCie Firewire 400’s, a Maxtor 250 gig 400, a Big Disk Extreme 500 (after only two weeks!) and a Huge Media vault that is back in the shop for the third time in 3 years, so reliability is an issue with me. In fact, if I hadn’t striped the Huge Vault at 3 when it came back from the second hospitalization 6 months ago, I would surely have lost some important files, thank god when it started beeping last Saturday I was able to get everything off it.

    As an aside, I will still have the 800 gig SCSI RAID (when it gets fixed) for backup, plus I have 1.2 TBs in Firewire 800’s with a 2- drawer Promax enclosure, the new BDE and another LaCie 250 Firewire 800 drive for additional backup. I’m thinking the Huge vault will just be for latent storage (what a shame/waste!)

    Have a wonderful day.

  • Chris Poisson

    July 31, 2006 at 11:58 pm in reply to: Turning a clip to Black and White

    Joe’s filters simple saturation gives you much more control.

    Have a wonderful day.

  • Chris Poisson

    July 31, 2006 at 3:06 pm in reply to: Great deal on Hitachi 500gb SATA drives

    David, Tom,

    If I get the 4 drawer enclosure, does it have to run with for drives or could I just put in two or three for now?

    Have a wonderful day.

Page 171 of 254

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy