Forum Replies Created

Page 156 of 254
  • Chris Poisson

    December 6, 2006 at 8:14 pm in reply to: Strange Flicker on Text Layers from Drop Shadow

    Are you kidding? EVERYBODY hates the text tools in there, but Title3D ain’t bad.

  • Chris Poisson

    December 6, 2006 at 2:36 pm in reply to: How to do a Hitchcock effect

    Hey Bob,

    Wow, you could be right on this, I guess it’s a much sharper image in my old memory, intriguing!

  • Chris Poisson

    December 6, 2006 at 2:06 pm in reply to: How to do a Hitchcock effect

    Bob,

    Don’t know if you’re in the 50+ set, but this image was so strong it is clear as a bell in my mind. I would swear it was shot backlit, OR maybe a shadow cast on a scrim. In any event, I remember even now how I wished that the transition from the silhouette to the graphic Hitchock head logo had been a better match. So my 10 year old brain was thinking about transitions and didn’t even know what they were!

  • Chris Poisson

    December 6, 2006 at 1:59 pm in reply to: Strange Flicker on Text Layers from Drop Shadow

    Jonathon,

    I had this EXACT same problem last month, I traced it to FCP’s drop shadow not agreeing with my alpha channel. In my case, I was putting the shadow on some 3D text from Invigorator which has a straight alpha, and before I found it was the FCP shadow at fault, I rerendered my type in every possible way to no avail. With fields, without, premultiplied etc., finally I turned off the dropshadow and the strobing stopped.

    Two fixes worked, one was to render the DS along with my text out of AE. The other was to use Boris Continuum Complete’s DS, and I would bet you could use any 3rd party plug and it would probably work.

    Note this happened on two different projects, both 8bit SD, the second occurrance on some AE text with glows.

  • Chris Poisson

    December 6, 2006 at 1:48 pm in reply to: How to do a Hitchcock effect

    Najor,

    This shouldn’t be that hard to shoot, just backlight the subject against a white wall, and clean up the image by hand and with levels controls. If you shoot greenscreen you can use one or a combination of the mattes from keying for your image.

    To answer your question, I have never seen a “silhouette” plugin anywhere, I suppose you could use one of the find edges and/or cortooner plugs in AE, for FCP I’m not sure. In any case if it were me, I’d shoot it.

    Funny, you must be an aging boomer like me to remember that effect, quite distinctive in it’s time…

  • Chris Poisson

    December 5, 2006 at 6:31 pm in reply to: calibrating external monitor

    Hmmm,

    You may have a blue-only setting in your menus, that’s the way one of mine has it, whereas my other monitor has a blue switch on the front. But, if you don’t have it, you can put a dark blue gel over the monitor with the test patern and get those 4 small bars pretty close. I don’t remember the filter number, just get a dark blue, you can even double it up. Sold in sheets at camera stores.

  • Chris Poisson

    December 4, 2006 at 10:24 pm in reply to: calibrating external monitor
  • Chris Poisson

    December 4, 2006 at 4:48 pm in reply to: Connecting composite monitor to FCP with AJA

    Greg,

    If keeping your Beta deck on is all that frustrates you, count your blessings! That’s how I monitor on my Kona LH-based system. For reference, you should be using a black burst generator, you can get one with 6 outputs for around 300 bucks.

    Alternatives for monitoring would be some kind of D-A converter, there are so many, and there’s that Matrox MXO, you could look at that…

    https://www.matrox.com/video/products/mxo/home.cfm

  • Chris Poisson

    December 4, 2006 at 4:38 am in reply to: jagged edges in motion stills

    This issue has to be one of the most if not THE most asked questions here, I used “stills” as a search word, you could also try “flickering.”

    https://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_search_engine.cgi

  • Chris Poisson

    December 2, 2006 at 2:44 pm in reply to: Motion Graphics Compression

    Alexander,

    Actually, what you should use for your menu would be 864×540 square pixels. Just use it like any menu item and set your project to 16×9 SD NTSC. You’ll have to select 16×9 in the simulator too. But you’ll end up with a widescreen DVD.

Page 156 of 254

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy