Forum Replies Created

Page 140 of 254
  • Chris Poisson

    April 4, 2007 at 8:28 pm in reply to: another cry for help

    What kind of deck(s) are you connected to? And how is your LH figuring into all this?

  • Chris Poisson

    March 31, 2007 at 4:18 pm in reply to: problem with drop shadow on travel matte

    Don’t know about Kim, but I was working in 8 bit. I’d bet the farm 10 bit wouldn’t fix it, but I can try if you like.

  • Chris Poisson

    March 31, 2007 at 4:16 pm in reply to: Screen grabs of the whold interface for tutorial

    Thanks! Didn’t know about that!

  • Chris Poisson

    March 31, 2007 at 2:09 pm in reply to: The politics of freebies

    BW,

    If you have that kind of control over clients, consider yourself blessed. Since my days as an ad agency art director buying all kinds of production we ALWAYS had to work with a budget, so any production companies that bid on our work knew the amount going in. This of course eliminated many big players, who simply could not be touched for our $s. In my example above, I was bidding for an ad agency, where in many cases today it is still “this is what we’ve got, you’re either in or out.” It’s probably worse now than ever, because of all the competition caused by producers like you and me.

    Citing my example further, and some of the other good advice here, it is sometimes advantageous to take a discounted job as a gesture of faith to get more and better jobs from the same agency.

    That was my situation, it was an agency I want more work from, and it turned out well for me anyway as they increased the budget mid-job.

    Thanks to all of you for some valuable insights, I have to do billing today, I intend to use a lot of your suggestions.

  • Chris Poisson

    March 31, 2007 at 1:55 pm in reply to: problem with drop shadow on travel matte

    Kim,

    About two months ago we had a discussion about this, you could do a search, but the upshot was that FCP’s DS does not play nice with alpha channels in every instance. I was bringing in Animation+ movies from AE and was getting the same flicker, nothing including nesting seemed to work, but I did find that some 3rd party drop shadows don’t do this. Boris Continuum is what I ended up using.

    You can trash your prefs all day long, but it ain’t gonna fix it.

  • Chris Poisson

    March 30, 2007 at 7:22 pm in reply to: The politics of freebies

    David,

    In no way was I complaining about these kinds of jobs, if you read again you’ll see I mentioned giving back, that has always been part of it for me. And I mentioned the benifit of getting the same client’s to perhaps bring me more paying jobs. I was strictly looking for other’s points of view on a purely theoretical business perspective, how you all handle this. So in that regard, thanks for your comments.

  • Chris Poisson

    March 30, 2007 at 3:25 pm in reply to: What would you do???

    I also do #1 (answer, that is) with an LH, works great.

  • Chris Poisson

    March 30, 2007 at 12:34 pm in reply to: Client monitor solution ideas?

    I forgot to add, I used to have one of those Canopus boxes, but it was a pain using it on the same system with a FireWire deck attached, it confused the Mac to have two FW devices hooked up, but maybe the latest OS X does things better, dunno, I went Decklink and Kona a long time ago…

  • Chris Poisson

    March 30, 2007 at 12:31 pm in reply to: Client monitor solution ideas?

    Take a look at the Matrox MXO.

  • I was gonna say s–t or go blind!

Page 140 of 254

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy