Chris Harlan
Forum Replies Created
-
[Steve Connor] “I’m considering options at the moment and buying a 12 core might be viable for me IF I can user a better GFX card.”
Not crazy. I get where you are coming from. Because of my circumstances, the thought has run through my head, as well. I’m not there yet, but the right combo of late summer action might put me there, so I do get it.
-
[Paul Jay] “I have used windows too long in my life.
Waste of my time.
“Dude, what does that even mean? Other than you being churlish? Why would running, say, AE or Pr on Windows be a waste of your time over running them on OS X? Would you actually see a difference? Or is this just another of your hit-and-run blarfs?
-
Every bit of software I currently buy is done so with cross-platform needs in mind. If it is OS X only, then I’m not interested. Continuum has a cross-platform license, so that plugin is any easy upgrade. Others don’t, so they don’t get bought or upgraded.
My big sticking point right now is ProRes. My big clients have ProRes workflows and/or libraries, and though they may want to, that is something difficult to untangle. So, a lot of where I go is in their hands. Its ironic that just four years ago, absolutely everything would have been tape delivery and this would have been a non-issue.
They are looking at other delivery systems including IMX and DNx, because they too sense issues, but there is the problem of everything that’s come before.
-
[Shane Ross] “Well look at that. Wonder what made them change that?
“Maybe their legal department had a seminar this week on the definition of “New.”
-
[Steve Connor] “They’ve removed the “new” badge from the Mac Pro on the Store!
“Indeed they have. That is SO funny.
-
[Walter Soyka] “Adobe’s perpetual licenses are not cross-platform. If you wish to buy the licenses outright, you must license and maintain each system separately. Perpetual licences also allow the same primary/backup dual installation, but they are platform-specific.
Avid Media Composer allows you to run the same license on either a Mac or a PC, but only one machine can be activated at a time. Activation and deactivation can be done on the web or over the phone, and I think they still allow you to tie your license to a dongle for an additional fee in lieu of node-locked activation.
“I’d add also that some Plug-in manufacturers like Boris are have made some of their plugin licenses cross-platform as well.
-
Chris Harlan
June 12, 2012 at 2:54 am in reply to: Mac Pro – If you are having trouble finding the words …[Bobby Mosca] “They are everywhere, but what are we doing on them? It’s convenient for me for a few things, but severely inefficient for everything else. I’ve gotten the same feedback from everyone I know.”
That’s my feeling. They seem like they should be perfect, but after you use them for a while you become very aware of the benefits of a laptop. I do enjoy my iPad, but I’m long over the notion of it being the next big step in evolution.
-
[Rick Lang] “Jeremy, I know the presentation mentioned Thunderbolt to Firewire adapters, but when I search the Apple Store, I can’t find them. Need one if I’m going to connect to my Firewire Canon video camera.
“I’m pretty sure they don’t exist yet. The Ethernet port does, at least.
-
Chris Harlan
June 11, 2012 at 11:09 pm in reply to: Mac Pro – If you are having trouble finding the words …[Kevin Patrick] “It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead.”
Miracle Macs?
-
How about this?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb7nwoQVkQESome contents or functionalities here are not available due to your cookie preferences!This happens because the functionality/content marked as “Google Youtube” uses cookies that you choosed to keep disabled. In order to view this content or use this functionality, please enable cookies: click here to open your cookie preferences.