Chris Harlan
Forum Replies Created
-
[Bill Davis] “But I wonder if Legacy was “the same” then why did it force us to render after every minor change? Maybe it to was just “keeping track of metadata changes” but if so, it had a nasty habit of keeping the results of that manipulation away from us until it had complete all of it calculations and was willing to show us the results.
“Well, it didn’t actually have to render after every minor change. Every time you made a cut, or added a dissolve, or brought down/pushed up the volume, or panned the tracks, or used certain specially enabled effects, you did not have to render. You original material remained unaltered, and metadata kept track of what was going on. Every cut, every slip and slide, every paste and delete is all metadata in action–just a bunch of stuff in memory–that in no way alters your source material. Renders, of course, don’t alter it either, they just add to the source material to cut down on the overhead. So, when you apply, say, a complicated blur filter to a clip (which is also an artificial abstraction of the larger source material) you are applying a set of metadata rules that simply take too much time to apply for playback in real time, hence the need for a render. But, the treatment of the source material and the application of descriptive metadata to manipulate it is standard to all modern EDLs.
[Bill Davis] “And of course, the biggest difference in my thinking is that in Legacy – each project was an island. Close the project and everything about it other than the name and the FCP icon was hidden.
With X, everything remains scannable and accessible – whether open or not – via the Project Library. “
Certainly it could seem that way. However, if you organize your project folders and sub folders in OS X just the right way, the preview functions of the OS give you much of the functionality you are talking about. Something that a lot of people seem not to know is that you can drag and drop directly into FCP. That, of course, in no way detracts from the value of the Project Library. I’m just saying that there are other ways.
[Bill Davis] “All I know for sure is that I just can’t go back.
“No reason you should have to!
[Bill Davis] “Working in legacy is now actually painfully frustrating for me. It seems slow and old fashioned – but I fully appreciate it that this is NOT true for the legions of operators who productively edit with it every day.
I just feel like X has improved the entire editing experience for me.
“And that is terrific. FCP X has some marvelous things going. And you are certainly not alone in the thrill you get from it. I get a lot from your posts when you are talking about your experiences, and frankly, you are one of the folks who have convinced me to see value in X. I do not begrudge you your joy with the system, at all.
[Bill Davis] “Probably just because I’m weird, tho.
“Weird? Hardly. Zealous? Gawd, yeah.
-
[Bill Davis] ” but the essential originals and any transcodes are always left as is. From that point, everything is just instructions (metadata) about how you want to manipulate that original data.”
But how is that different from what every other NLE does? You can make that same statement about pretty much every NLE that currently exists.
-
[Bill Davis] “I is SAVED!”
Hey Bill, I’m not the one with the Traveling Salvation Show. As far as FCP X is concerned you are the original, one-and-only Brother Love. But hey, I LOVE the song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmP43qsAXvk
-
[Franz Bieberkopf] “[Bill Davis] “… the FCP-X model of expressing EVERYTHING as metadata …”
They got rid of the data? No more picture and sound?
That would really change everything in post.
“Franz. C’mon, man. You KNOW there is absolutely no reason, any longer, to engage those narrow little bands of the electromagnetic spectrum. I mean, f@#k light. And sound? It’s just noise. Who needs it when you can shoot pure, unadulterated metadata straight into you brain. Glory be binary! Pictures and sound are so 20th Century. There time is over.
-
[Liam Hall] “I love Promax.
https://www.maximuscle.com/promax
But it does make you itch…
“AND… Don’t forget this amazing expose of the current and future Mac Pro line. It’s amazingly colorful!
-
[Michael Gissing] “”I just don’t think that Apple is ready to give up what they have worked so hard to achieve… the loyal support of the professional. That ship has already sailed.”
Agreed. If you were managing Apple, why would you wish to continue to support a tiny demanding market that want specialist low margin hardware and sophisticated high maintenance software?
For whatever personal conceit that Apple enjoyed by being the darling of creatives, they have been wildly successful since the long slow turning of their back to this insignificant sector.
“Agreed to all here. I’m blown away by the extremely needy tea-leaf reading over Apple’s intentions for 2013. They currently have the worst workstations on the market and they don’t care. That fact alone should be enough to wake any sleeper about what is what. And all of the “well, Apple has something truly glow-in-the-dark coming, and they don’t want to mar its introduction by early half measures” is just sickening. “But why do they keep it alive? That MUST mean an even greater one is coming.” Frankly, I think Apple’s collective head is so far up its cloud that they don’t even notice the dang thing. UNTIL, they hear enough noise to make them think “oh, yeah. That.” So, they pathetically fake an upgrade. “No honey, I knew it was our anniversary… Look, see, I brought you the other half of this burrito.” And when that didn’t work so well, Apple got on the phone to one of its secretaries and told them to call us and promise to meet for lunch some day. Of course, the next couple of weeks are not good for Apple, so put your calendar away. But they WILL call us. Promise. And, really, we WILL do lunch.
-
[David Roth Weiss] “At NAB we (ProMAX) were playing back and editing 5K Epic RAW files on our ProMAX ONE, in realtime, while simultaneously encoding to of the 5K RAW files to h.264, without dropping frames.”
Now, David, you know that if its not on a Mac it doesn’t exist.
-
Chris Harlan
June 13, 2012 at 1:16 am in reply to: Can we talk about the Retina MBP for just one second?[Shane Ross] “Yeah, that is the ONE adapter I’ll have to get. But I had to have an Express34 to eSATA card, so that doesn’t scare me either.
“FWIW, the LaCie eSATA TBolt adapter is working well for me.
-
Chris Harlan
June 12, 2012 at 10:34 pm in reply to: Apple Confirms New Mac Pros and iMacs in 2013-Forbes[Tim Wilson] “I imagine that a lot of things that will show up in a new Mac Pro will show up elsewhere first. LOL”
Or have already shown up elsewhere some time ago.