Chris Harlan
Forum Replies Created
-
Chris Harlan
June 15, 2012 at 5:04 pm in reply to: Unfixable, Unhackable, Untenable. An iFixit Op-ed.[Davee Schulte] “The laptop is a crappy product because it can’t be easily upgraded?”
Can’t be easily upgraded? It can’t be upgraded at all. But that is not the issue. The issue is that if any part fails, the entire unit fails. Considering that this unit is nearly 3 to 4 grand in a useable configuration, that seems to me to be a point worth discussing. I don’t think anyone has called this unit “crappy,” but don’t you think this is a potential pitfall that people should know about when they put their money down? Or is even mumbling about potential Apple downsides taboo?
-
[Andy Neil] “He had to know going into WWDC that a lot of people’s first question after the keynote was going to be, “Where’s the Mac Pro?”
“I don’t know if he knew it going in, but he sure knew it going out.
-
Chris Harlan
June 14, 2012 at 6:32 pm in reply to: So Now What For Those Of Us Who Need New Apple Hardware?[Gary Huff] “Why would you buy third party SSD and RAM? Don’t you know that Apple SSDs and RAM are a premium because they never go bad and are twice as fast as the competition?
“Just like the Mac Pros!
-
Chris Harlan
June 14, 2012 at 4:39 pm in reply to: Apple Confirms New Mac Pros and iMacs in 2013-Forbes[TImothy Auld] “I worked on a doc for a while about adulterated and flat out counterfeit drugs. Unbeleiveably scary. And the pharm companies lobby against and resist measures that could easily prevent 99 % of it. Sad.
“It was wild stuff. To add to the International flavor of things, she was a retiree living in Mexico. So American drugs from a Chinese source in a Mexican hospital. It made for some amazing triangular finger pointing.
-
Chris Harlan
June 14, 2012 at 4:37 am in reply to: Apple Confirms New Mac Pros and iMacs in 2013-Forbes[Ronald Lindeboom] “With everything else coming out of China nowadays, it seems only natural that we’ll start getting our junk from China next. They won’t use milk sugar to cut, they’ll use melamine. “
Sigh. Melamine-spiked heparin killed my ex’s mother. I will never, ever look at Chinese products the same way again. And, any time someone tells me that regulations just get in the way, and that it is the best interest of corporations to police their own actions, I use her story to illustrate exactly how murderous an open market free-for-all can be. Sorry for the buzz-kill. That was all some years ago.
-
[Jim Giberti] “That’s a good time to have a sit down with your wife and not try back channel communication through her girl friends.
“THAT is funny!
-
[Jim Giberti] “[David Roth Weiss] “And, any adult here who still believes in David Pogue, Santa Claus, or the Easter Bunny also gets no respect from me.”
I think that’s a bit unfair to Santa and the EB.
“I fear I’m going to have to stand with Santa and the EB as well. There are times, David, that you go too far.
-
Chris Harlan
June 14, 2012 at 1:45 am in reply to: So Now What For Those Of Us Who Need New Apple Hardware?[Bill Davis] “I’m pretty sure that during the live rollout one of the Apple guys noted that they’ve engineered the Retina display to have something like 75% of the reflectance of the prior glossy displays – positioning the new MBP-Retina significantly closer to the matte screen option then the glossy approach that color sensitive creative pros all hated.
I suspect that will make a BIG difference combined with the resolution boost.
“I’m sure hoping so. Of course, I want to see it first hand.
-
Chris Harlan
June 14, 2012 at 1:37 am in reply to: Tim Cook taking it on the chin…all the way to the bank[Andrew Richards] “[Joseph Owens] “What do you think that other visionary, Enzo, would make of that?”
Are you implying that Steve Jobs would not be steering Apple the way it has gone the past 18-24 months?
“My two cents–this is Steve all the way. With a bit of Larry Ellison thrown in. And hey, Apple makes cool things (though I’m not sure I’m overly crazy about the global corporate mainframe, er, uh,… cloud we are all being pushed into, but seems too late to worry about that.) I really don’t know that workstation even SHOULD be a part of where they are going. I’ve got no problem at all if they want to walk away from them. But, if they do that, they should release ProRes, or at least sell it cross platform.
-
Chris Harlan
June 14, 2012 at 1:28 am in reply to: Tim Cook taking it on the chin…all the way to the bank[Joseph Owens] “It would still be a real Ferrari — don’t you dare say I’m not a PRO.”
ROtFL