Forum Replies Created

Page 145 of 282
  • [Jeremy Garchow] “What I don’t understand is that people say they “upgraded this CPU or that mobo” on a PC, and I am wondering did they actually do the work, or does that mean they send it in to where they bought, or back to the manufacturer for an upgrade?”

    Usually that means that they did the work.

    [Jeremy Garchow] “It seems that while the PC side seems to praise the “tinker” aspect of it, I am trying to get a sense of just how much tinkering really happens and how often, and does that really equate to cost savings, or perhaps more importantly performance gains in relation to those costs.
    “

    There really is a whole tinkering culture on the PC side that has no serious analog in the Mac world. Once upon a time cost-saving might have been involved, but when desktop computers hit near-comodity status, it was seldom cheeper to build instead of buy. Now much of it is optimization or personalization. Gamers, particularly, customize and hot-rod out their machines. As more expensive desktops and workstations become a niche again, I think you’ll see cost-related tinkering again, as people work to squeeze more life out of their sizzle cores.

  • [Andrew Richards] “[Chris Harlan] “I stand by my earlier statement quoted above.”

    Every time we buy a locked down product containing a non-replaceable battery with a finite cycle count, we’re voicing our opinion on how long our things should last. But is it an informed decision? When you buy something, how often do you really step back and ask how long it should last? If we want long-lasting products that retain their value, we have to support products that do so.

    Today, we choose. If we choose the Retina display over the existing MacBook Pro, the next generation of Mac laptops will likely be less repairable still. When that happens, we won’t be able to blame Apple. We’ll have to blame ourselves.

    The part in bold supports my point, the part not in bold supports yours. I guess we’re both right.

    Best,
    Andy”

    Andy, I get that his preference is in the direction of non-disposible. Mine is too. But I disagree with your bold assertion. I still read it as him laying out what the choice is.

  • [Andrew Richards] “[Chris Harlan] “My point was in the rest of what I said.”

    This, right?

    [Chris Harlan] “Everybody should know what they’re getting in to. And, that’s all he’s really saying.”

    Look at the last four paragraphs of the article. He is directly imploring the MacBook buying public to not reward Apple (and by association the Ultrabook PC makers) for making sealed devices. He’s playing soothsayer for the market. Most people don’t care to service their own laptop, so his appeal is sort of quixotic.
    “

    I would suggest that you go back and read the last four paragraphs for yourself. I just did. I don’t see anything that you are claiming above. To quote:

    Every time we buy a locked down product containing a non-replaceable battery with a finite cycle count, we’re voicing our opinion on how long our things should last. But is it an informed decision? When you buy something, how often do you really step back and ask how long it should last? If we want long-lasting products that retain their value, we have to support products that do so.

    Today, we choose. If we choose the Retina display over the existing MacBook Pro, the next generation of Mac laptops will likely be less repairable still. When that happens, we won’t be able to blame Apple. We’ll have to blame ourselves

    I stand by my earlier statement quoted above.

  • [Jeremy Garchow] “[Chris Harlan] “About the same as the Mac Pro”

    You mean you just bought a new computer?”

    Joke? No. I do things like upgrade RAM, upgrade GPUs, add i/o cards like external eSATA and Decklink. Upgrade hard drives. I may still add USB 3 to my current 8 Core.

  • [Jeremy Garchow] “When it was time to upgrade your Windows hardware, what did you do?
    “

    About the same as the Mac Pro, though with many more choices (and many more potential conflicts.) Bought a new card, component, or PC, depending on what was required.

  • [Oliver Peters] ” I only personally moved to Mac to be compatible with FCP”

    That’s what got me on board, too.

  • [Andrew Richards] “[Chris Harlan] “I’m not sure about that. Certainly not among our crowd. Or among the people who are aware of his site.”

    Yeah, and those crowds aren’t most people. You know, “normal” people. Not us. “

    Obviously, Andy. My point was in the rest of what I said.

  • [olof ekbergh] “[Chris Harlan] “Can’t be easily upgraded? It can’t be upgraded at all. But that is not the issue. The issue is that if any part fails, the entire unit fails. Considering that this unit is nearly 3 to 4 grand in a useable configuration, that seems to me to be a point worth discussing. I don’t think anyone has called this unit “crappy,” but don’t you think this is a potential pitfall that people should know about when they put their money down? Or is even mumbling about potential Apple downsides taboo?”

    With Apple care you have 3 year warranty. And if you drop it or it is otherwise damaged insurance will pay for the replacement.

    Who cares what has to be done to repair a broken tool. My guess is that Apple will do some component repair at factory rebuild sites, not just replace the whole computer. But even if they just recycle it and give you a new one, then that is fine with me.

    If it breaks after 3 years you probably want a new one anyway.
    “

    Hey Olaf. That might be great for you. But why exactly do you fan bois get so hot and dismissive over people even discussing these things? I just don’t get it.

  • [Jeremy Garchow] “In this thread, how many people own and operate Windows desktop machines for your video editing business?

    How long have you been doing so?
    “

    Does the past count? I edited on Windows for six or seven years.

  • [Andrew Richards] “I think Mr. Wiens is vastly overestimating most people’s interest in servicing their own electronics.
    “

    I’m not sure about that. Certainly not among our crowd. Or among the people who are aware of his site. And, I think it is an important idea to get out there and understand. I was looking at the low end price tag the other day, and in the back of my head, as is always the case, I was thinking I can always upgrade. Its sort of a reflex. Who’d think you can’t put in more memory? Who’d think you can’t put in a bigger hard drive? It was ban enough when Apple dropped the easily replaceable battery. So, no, I’m glad for his article. Everybody should know what they’re getting in to. And, that’s all he’s really saying.

Page 145 of 282

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy