Forum Replies Created

Page 144 of 282
  • Chris Harlan

    June 19, 2012 at 10:58 pm in reply to: Microsoft Surface

    [Jeremy Garchow] “You don’t. But is the EOL of FCS3 mean the end if iTunes? Not really.
    “

    I’m pretty sure I wasn’t making that argument, Jeremy. And, cloud delivery to devices isn’t iTunes. All I’m saying is that Apple has lost a healthy chunk of my trust.

    [Jeremy Garchow] “For what it’s worth, it might not look like what I thought the cloud would be, but Apple is giving the cloud a real honest go. When they get sick of it and move on to the next thing, who knows what happens, but until then, it’s working and I like it. I am also lucky in that I live and work around fast internet, so the cloud is an advantage to me. This isn’t true elsewhere in this country and the world.”

    Yeah, its working for me too right now. I actually like the newer AppleTV, and enjoy playing any and all of my purchases off of their servers. Its slick.

  • Chris Harlan

    June 19, 2012 at 8:41 pm in reply to: Microsoft Surface

    [Jeremy Garchow] “As long as Apps can run in the cloud, and all of your music and movies can run in the Cloud, the new AppleTV makes sense.
    “

    Yeah. It’s that “As long as Apps can run…” part that I have trouble with in regards to Apple. I love using the new AppleTV right now (I also have the Old version) but how long can I actually trust this cloud service? I’m losing my iDisk the week after next, which I have found very useful, and which a few scant years ago seemed to be part of a service that Apple was truly committed to for a very long haul. I built a career on the old FCP platform, and had to flip about with little notice; if you’d asked me a year-and-a half ago to predict that, I couldn’t have. I THINK I might be able to continue on OS X if the vague, off-the-record promises about a workstation-level computer next year are true–but I just don’t know that they are. So, even though Apple seems very committed to iCloud content delivery, how do I know they actually are? Certainly not by their track record.

    This is where Apple really needs to take a lesson from Microsoft. Look at this MS FAQ about Windows EOL:

    https://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/products/lifecycle

    Reading it, I know that Windows 7 will be supported for another 8 years. Heck, I know that XP will be supported for another 2. If I don’t like Windows 8, I have serious options to stay with 7. It is all laid out very succinctly so that I can be comfortable with my choices.

    Apple still acts like it is a little pirate ship, but that is self-delsion that it needs to recover from. When a little guy acts like an upstart, we all think its cute, daring and fun. When an 800 pound Gorilla acts that way, people tend to run.

  • Chris Harlan

    June 19, 2012 at 7:36 pm in reply to: Microsoft Surface

    [Lance Bachelder] “I will be able to use it to write – something that is a painful experience on the iPad”

    Agreed. As clever as it is to be able to type on glass, I don’t really like it.

    [Lance Bachelder] “Now I’ll get the best features of an unltrabook and a tablet powered by an i5 CPU! This means I could load up Sony Vegas or Premiere Pro and even do some editing!
    “

    Yup! I’m hoping the USB 3 slot will be fully operable, and that the display port out will host a 2nd screen. If Premiere will work, cool–but it also might provide a useful niche for Prelude.

  • Chris Harlan

    June 19, 2012 at 7:31 pm in reply to: Microsoft Surface

    [TImothy Auld] “Looked at the specs and wanted to buy one. Looked at the video and I just wanted it to stop. (but that didn’t really change my mind about wanting to but one.)”

    LOL. I had pretty much the same reaction.

  • Chris Harlan

    June 19, 2012 at 4:32 pm in reply to: Way WAY OT: Professional enrichment

    [Tim Wilson] “I’m curious about something. You’ve got a two and a half day training opportunity, something you really want to learn for your professional creative life. Would you be happier about this on weekdays, a weekend, or what?
    “

    Really doesn’t matter. When I’m in the thick of things, I don’t have weekends, and when things are average, I can always just move things around. A better determiner would be my custody schedule, which I keep trying to convince the rest of the world to pay attention to, but with little luck thus far.

  • Chris Harlan

    June 19, 2012 at 4:27 pm in reply to: Microsoft Surface

    [Phil Hoppes] “Microsoft looks at the very same thing and ALWAYS goes to, “How can we make windows solve this problem?” Not what do consumers need, not what is the best solution to the problem but how can we shoehorn in windows as a solution to another market. To Microsoft the world is just nails that need a Windows hammer. IMHO this is not innovation and a large reason why Microsoft has just languished for the last 10 or so years.”

    I don’t know. It strikes me that Xbox and XBox 360, as well as the whole XBox home networking system readily challenge that assumption.

  • Chris Harlan

    June 19, 2012 at 8:24 am in reply to: Microsoft Surface

    [Tim Wilson] “That and the kickstand.”

    You guys are all laughing at the kickstand, but I gotta say that one of the things I’ve always thought my iPad could use was, well,… something like a kick stand. The folded up magnetic cover just doesn’t quite cut it.

  • Chris Harlan

    June 19, 2012 at 12:17 am in reply to: Microsoft Surface

    [Steve Connor] “Microsoft have a tablet, well three tablets I think and one of them runs Windows 8 Pro, with an Ivy Bridge Core i5!

    Perhaps Premiere Pro and Avid will be on a modern tablet before FCPX is?

    …..and it has a kickstand.”

    Yeah, the specs look pretty good on the Pro version. Display port out. USB 3 i/o. Full version of Windows 8. i5 Chip. I can imagine Prelude–at the least–running on this thing the week its released.

    And, it has a kickstand.

  • [Andrew Richards] “The price to have the battery replaced on the 13″ & 15”, $129, is the same price as the removable batteries of past MacBooks.
    “

    That’s cool to know.

  • Chris Harlan

    June 16, 2012 at 12:41 am in reply to: Unfixable, Unhackable, Untenable. An iFixit Op-ed.

    [Craig Seeman] “[Chris Harlan] “The issue is that if any part fails, the entire unit fails.”

    Apple’s position may be that it’s easier to replace than repair.
    That just as Apple hit the VARs with FCPX distribution, they may kill independent repairs.

    BTW this also why I say people have it wrong when they argue Apple has gone consumer over pro.
    They’ve become commodity. Higher volume sales. Shorter life cycles. Replace rather than repair.

    I can’t help but think Apple mapped out the costs of service vs replacement vs system sales. Also the gains over supply when third party RAM suppliers or “system mod” companies like OWC can no longer sell some things to the public because everything goes through Apple.
    “

    I agree. I’m sure that’s there plan. And its Jobsian, for sure. Apparently Woz had to fight with him to put expansion slots into thel Apple 2. And, frankly, I don’t even know what I think of it yet. Might be a solid approach. I’m still thinking about the way it effects me. Do I really want to spend four grand on a computer if my daughter can’t use it in four years? Above, I was just reacting to people who seem dismissive of even discussing such changes. I find it funny how defensive some Apple users can be.

Page 144 of 282

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy