Forum Replies Created

Page 143 of 282
  • [Craig Seeman] ” have no doubt Apple will come out with a box they will be proud of . . . they were proud of the Cube weren’t they? “

    I agree, Whether they were planning it or were guilted into, I believe they will put their best foot forward, now that they have committed.

    [Craig Seeman] “Given that I prefer editing on Mac and I’d expect either a new iMac I’ll like or consolidate the two lines, it’s conceivable to edit on Mac and do other things on Windows. I’m often using both Operating Systems (and I’ve been bootcamping my Macs for a few years), it wouldn’t be a great hardship to buy a Windows computer as well as an iMac. Basically though if I can get 6 cores or more with a powerful GPU I’ll be happy.”

    If they have an option to get rid of the glossy screen, add USB 3, make thunderbolt a little more robust, add a bit more upgradable RAM space and add a robust 6 Core, I could be okay with it, as well.

  • Chris Harlan

    June 20, 2012 at 1:09 am in reply to: Intel Xenon Phi in 2013 f/WSJ

    [Jeremy Garchow] “[Chris Harlan] “I don’t think you understand the process being described here. The “M” in “MIC” stands for many, and by many, they mean MANY. It doesn’t scale down. Its about taking stripped down specialty cpus and placing them in very intense clusters of 50 or 100 or more. This has nothing what-so-ever to do with anything Apple might be producing next year.”

    Totally, I’m sure intel will learn nothing from it.

    Also, (and I say this to joke with you) you’re holding it wrong, those 50 cores are on one PCIe card: https://theverge.com/2012/6/18/3094404/inte-xeon-phi-50-core-x86-HPC
    “

    Nice looking picture of it. But what is the cost of the thing–20, 50, 100 grand? If you have to ask, you’re not a potential client. Its a module for a super computer.

  • [Jeremy Garchow] “Also, it’s old and crusty, but the MacPro is still on sale, officially, you can still buy one direct from Apple.

    Whether you want to or not is another story….
    “

    Definitely. She’s still there. She’s still around.

    [Jeremy Garchow] “Also, and I mean this in all seriousness, why won’t an iMac work for you?

    Peripherals? That’s an easy one, but anything else?
    “

    Let’s see. I hate the glossy monitor. I’m generally a two or more monitor kind of a guy. Right now, I have four and a program monitor. When I’m at a desk, I like that. Yes, I know I can hook up a second monitor on an iMac. When I do advance graphics, which I currently do less of, but still do, I really like the extra rendering cores. I like a choice of GFX cards. And, I like having the ability to add and remove parts–probably a throwback to my PC customization days, but something I value none-the-less. The iMac is a good computer, so I’m not trying to bag on it, but I prefer something more powerful and more customizable.

  • [Jason Wood] “From all that I’ve read lately, I was under the impression it was EOL. If Apple continues to produce work stations, I’m not going anywhere.”

    There is still a great deal of debate about what this all means. The MacOptimists around here say that the vague confirmation of something coming next year is Apple promising allegiance to a workstation future. The iPessimists point to how far behind other workstations Apple’s current offering is, and suggest that the quietly muttered maybes were actually just Apple wiping egg from its face after a bit of visible and vocal contention at WWDC. Something will undoubtedly happen on the “Pro” side next year, but nobody knows what, or whether it will be enough. Of course, “it will be really great.” We know that much. Sort of.

  • Chris Harlan

    June 19, 2012 at 11:53 pm in reply to: Microsoft Surface

    [Lance Bachelder] “Well I was willing to get a 3rd party keyboard for the iPad for writing but it’s the apps that are bad, not the iPad. This is the disadvantage of iOS vs. OSX – Final Draft for instance has no version for iOS – but they have Windows and OSX versions which means the Surface Pro will be the first real usable tablet for writers! Oh and Editors 🙂
    “

    I with you on that. I’ve got the Bluetooth keyboard. And, I like my iPad. What I don’t have is the Microsoft phobia that seems to inhabit this part of the world. I just think that tablet looks cool, and if its priced right, if it runs the right programs, if it will access a RAID over USB 3–then, I probably want one.

  • Chris Harlan

    June 19, 2012 at 11:47 pm in reply to: Intel Xenon Phi in 2013 f/WSJ

    [Herb Sevush] “While overpriced and outdated it runs FCP without crashing, which is an experience I’ve been sorely lacking these past few months, and that brings a smile to my face.
    “

    There you go! I was back on FCP for awhile, yesterday. Every time I go back, I think what a great platform.

  • Chris Harlan

    June 19, 2012 at 11:45 pm in reply to: Microsoft Surface

    [Jeremy Garchow] “Apple prides themselves on the iCloud integration, purchase on one device, download to any other.”

    Certainly they do. At the moment, its their highest priority. But there have been other moments, and other priorities. And the switches between them have become increasingly mercurial.

    [Jeremy Garchow] “I just wish v1 worked just like it and or the latest version had a hard drive that I could sync my non iTunes music/videos to so I don’t have to keep a computer around.
    “

    Me too. I’ve got two of those puppies.

  • Chris Harlan

    June 19, 2012 at 11:41 pm in reply to: Intel Xenon Phi in 2013 f/WSJ

    [Rick Lang] “Sounds like it could be a fit. I didn’t pay too much attention frankly to the articke’s emphasis on supercomputing use as it wouldn’t surprise me to see this trickle down to something like the Mac Pro or whatever Tim Cook is really working on that he can’t tell you except to confirm it’s coming.
    “

    I don’t think you understand the process being described here. The “M” in “MIC” stands for many, and by many, they mean MANY. It doesn’t scale down. Its about taking stripped down specialty cpus and placing them in very intense clusters of 50 or 100 or more. This has nothing what-so-ever to do with anything Apple might be producing next year.

  • Chris Harlan

    June 19, 2012 at 11:15 pm in reply to: Microsoft Surface

    [Jeremy Garchow] “Oh, and about this, it doesn’t matter to me. There’s nothing that I need from OS 10.2 (just for example) that I can’t do today with 10.7, in fact it’s quite the opposite.

    If I was a major corporation and 1000s of deployments, yes, the support would matter.

    If you know that in 8 years Windows 7 is still going to matter to you, then it’s important.
    “

    I think you know that I was simply using this as an example of the stability Microsoft offers–you know, an example of a detailed road map–not as something that specifically effects you and your needs to maintain or not maintain the current version of OS X. And, unless Apple learns how to do some of that, it will eventually bite them in the arse.

  • [Jason Wood] “Has anyone else thought about this?
    “

    Oh yeah. I think about it a lot. I used to be on Windows and liked it. I came to Mac for Final Cut Pro. Right now, I’ve got a lot of Mac equipment, not to mention that ProRes keeps me in the neighborhood. I try and buy things that startle both platforms–MC6, CS6, Boris Plugins, etc. I’m happy enough on a Mac, but no MacPro will send me back.

Page 143 of 282

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy